Cheerleaders Can Display Their Breasts But Nursing Mothers Can't?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:

I think this may go to a broader issue in our society.

Rather than coexisting and/or defering to each other, we tend towards a behavior that, towards the extreme, might say "it's my right, to F-you".

Perhaps I just have a different mind set, but I am conscious of minimizing my externalities (the economics term for reducing the impact on others).

I've only read to page 13 and need to comment on this: Breastfeeding is not a "fuck you" activity. It is a necessary event that every mother around the world has to undertake to necessitate the survival of her child.

I can only say that nbc, hope you don't ever travel outside the US. You'll find practices in the rest of the world that will give you a heart attack. Or maybe broaden your mind.

Oh..and Dredsox, you crack me up. Where did you get that avatar? LOL!! And dangit, too bad you're not available. May God grant me a husband like you...you're turning ME on, buddy!('Oreos"....*blush*)

Funnily enough, my local paper in Albany, NY just had a big article on this whole controversy last week..a group of mothers went to a Hooters for a "nurse-in". The staff were bemused at first but then supportive, pulling up chairs for the them, etc. One of them had a shirt that said, "Would You Like To See The Kid's Menu?"

That's it in a nutshell , folks.

Teta040 said:
May God grant me a husband like you...you're turning ME on, buddy!('Oreos"....*blush*)

:whistle:

You may want to talk to my wife about that....She can fill in all the other details.......

Be carefull what you wish for!

:wink:

blueeyedgirl said:

I've only read to page 13 and need to comment on this: Breastfeeding is not a "fuck you" activity. It is a necessary event that every mother around the world has to undertake to necessitate the survival of her child.

I can only say that nbc, hope you don't ever travel outside the US. You'll find practices in the rest of the world that will give you a heart attack. Or maybe broaden your mind.

I cant recall the quote from nbc you quoted in this, as I stopped reading this thread after the reply I quoted just a couple of replies back. But a big "Fuck you" is precisely the response attempting to abolish breastfeeding is going to bring. It is entirely preposterous for somebody to believe that they have a position in the feeding of a baby by his/her mother. Overall, breastfeeding mothers are not noticeable, and therefore void completely this argument put forward of decency. There is no decency issue here. Breastfeeding mothers do not have exposed entire breasts on show. And another Fuck You to those who think there is this showgirl feeling of exposure by a woman who is merely feeding her baby. Coming from the other side, is this idea it seems, that the act of breastfeeding puts mother on show and the bystanders in voyeur mode. I do wish people would use common bloody sense and realise this only ever occurs from a woman who wishes to be on show and from a bystander who wishes to engage in voyeurism.

There is precisely, as well, a complete lack of coexistance and/or derfering to each other when one wishes to involve themselves so fully in a decision such as this. Rather than take some moral highground here, nbc, I do wish you would accept that what you do is so very minimally different. The upshot of what you propose, differs from what I for example propose, is a hungry baby. And you know, as they say, tough titties. You can take a hike :) Go and be a father to your children. Be the decision maker for your own wife. Dont intrude in my life. You and those who are this opinion are not welcome.

Dreadsox said:
My avatar makes me want oreos....:ohmy:

:lol:

I'm sorry that so many people are frustrated by this thread, honestly I didn't think anyone would be so offended by a woman wanting to breastfeed at a stadium or anywhere else in public.

I respect people's opinions and sensibilities, but I can't understand for the life of me why it is a problem as long as it is done in a discreet and dignified manner. I do have to wonder if men could breastfeed if being discreet would even be a requirement-after all, mens' "breasts" aren't sexualized by women, are they?" Well, let's not get into that :wink:

Maybe we should just let this thread die, I don't want it closed :(

In yesterday's Herald, we reported how a Patriots fan claims she was told she couldn't nurse her child in the stands at Gillette Stadium. We asked you whether moms should be allowed to breast-feed in the stands at major sporting arenas.

Here are the results from the Herald's online poll:

Yes: 34.3 percent

No: 65.7 percent

Looks like I'm not alone here.

Dreadsox said:

And damn it all....the majority is always correct.:wink:

MOB RULE!!!!!
inclassable56.gif

nbcrusader said:
Like others, I am weary from reading the responses.

Civility is all but lost here.

Well, if you want to force breastfeeding women to do their thing under either unsanitary conditions or stay at home, you can expect people to get riled up.

Basically, I'm not too fond of heated arguments myself, but I prefer honest swearing people over wolves in sheeps clothing who say "Thank you, much obliged I'm sure" every time they screw you over.

Sure, it's not everyone's ordinary experience to see a baby being breastfed, but I don't see the harm in it. It's not some drunk throwing things. Maybe it's too shocking for some people who are not used to it. I'm a woman and go goo-goo gah-gah every time I see a baby, so naturally I'm not one of these people.

DrTeeth said:

Well, if you want to force breastfeeding women to do their thing under either unsanitary conditions or stay at home, you can expect people to get riled up.

Basically, I'm not too fond of heated arguments myself, but I prefer honest swearing people over wolves in sheeps clothing who say "Thank you, much obliged I'm sure" every time they screw you over.

:up:

DrTeeth said:

I've never suggested "unsanitary conditions" or "stay at home". In fact, I've never said that public breast feeding was bad.

But, don't let that get in the way of proving a point. Lot of talking and little listening.

randhail said:
In yesterday's Herald, we reported how a Patriots fan claims she was told she couldn't nurse her child in the stands at Gillette Stadium. We asked you whether moms should be allowed to breast-feed in the stands at major sporting arenas.

Here are the results from the Herald's online poll:

Yes: 34.3 percent

No: 65.7 percent

Looks like I'm not alone here.

do you think that Patriots fans are a good sampling of what overall public opinion would be?

nbcrusader said:

I've never suggested "unsanitary conditions" or "stay at home". In fact, I've never said that public breast feeding was bad.

But, don't let that get in the way of proving a point. Lot of talking and little listening.

I meant 'you' in general, not attributed to anyone in specific. Maybe if you actually gave your opinion once in a while NBC, much of this could be avoided. I frankly don't see the point in making ambiguous arguments. Tell us where you stand.

My argument isn't ambiguous and has been stated.

To me, the key word was discretion.

It is a little word that gets overlooked in all the shouting.

Sorry if I didn't make it LOUD AND CLEAR for you.

Irvine511 said:

do you think that Patriots fans are a good sampling of what overall public opinion would be?

Not that I agree with randhail on this, because I don't, but what makes you think this sampling was only done by Patriots fans? Am I missing something?

phanan said:

Not that I agree with randhail on this, because I don't, but what makes you think this sampling was only done by Patriots fans? Am I missing something?

i thought that's what he had posted -- that they took a poll of Pats fans?

did i misread?

Irvine511 said:

It was conducted by the Boston Herald and anyone could have voted on their belief. Regardless, the instance in question took place at Pats training camp, so I would think that the Kraft family would want fan input and then decide what to do.

nbcrusader said:
My argument isn't ambiguous and has been stated.

To me, the key word was discretion.

It is a little word that gets overlooked in all the shouting.

Sorry if I didn't make it LOUD AND CLEAR for you.

Excellent, apology accepted. :up:

randhail said:

Regardless, the instance in question took place at Pats training camp, so I would think that the Kraft family would want fan input and then decide what to do.

I don't think they need to decide anything. They have already firmly stated it wasn't a problem and that the security officer in question shouldn't have done what he did.

Quite honestly, I can't believe this thread is still going. I don't understand why it makes people uncomfortable at all.

well if the Kraft family decides that breastfeeding in seats won't be allowed, then they are hypocrites unless and until they have the cheerleaders start wearing button up shirts to the neck and sweatshirts :shrug:

They already do for the cold weather games. When it's warm out, they could get hot while performing and could overheat and dehydrate, thus making less clothing a better option.

randhail said:
They already do for the cold weather games. When it's warm out, they could get hot while performing and could overheat and dehydrate, thus making less clothing a better option.

Yes, I'm aware that they do in cold weather :)

So the cheerleaders shouldn't suffer but the mothers and babies should?

I found this article in a news search, so this is not an issue just in the US

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/legal/article304899.ece

Mother in plea for breastfeeding law
By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor
Published: 10 August 2005

A woman who was stopped from breastfeeding her baby while touring Hampton Court Palace has called for the law to be changed to prevent harassment of new mothers.

Margaret Mikkelsen, 30, said England should follow the example of Scotland which introduced a law last November making it a criminal offence to deliberately obstruct breast or bottle feeding in a public place where children are allowed.

She was on a tour of the palace in south-west London with her family and relatives, who were visiting from the US, when her six-month-old daughter, Stella Faulkner, became hungry.

She sat down and was feeding the child discreetly when a female warder came over and directed her to the mother-and-baby room. "She suggested quite strongly that I should move. I didn't want to leave the tour and my family so I had sat down where I was so I could catch up with them quickly."

Ms Mikkelsen complained to Historic Royal Palaces, which runs Hampton Court, pointing out that no other visitors had objected.

Historic Royal Palacesreplied: "All visitors should have their chests covered when inside and although the policy is more usually applied to men on hot summer days, it is a general rule.

"We have many visitors of all ages and nationalities who find women breast-feeding either offensive or an unwelcome distraction.

"The mother-and-baby room is the only area of the palace where we can guarantee privacy for the mother and child and where they will not disturb any visitors."

But yesterday, however, a spokeswoman said staff had misinterpreted a policy that nursing mothers should be shown where they could breastfeed in privacy as a ban on doing it in public. "It appears this warder was a little over zealous. The incident has highlighted a practice that has grown up but it is not our policy."

Mary Newburn, of the National Childbirth Trust, said a recent poll showed 84 per cent of the public had no objection to women breastfeeding in public.

The Scots law preventing harassment of mothers who breastfeed in public was introduced as a public health measure to promote breastfeeding. Ms Mikkelsen said a similar law was needed in England.

A woman who was stopped from breastfeeding her baby while touring Hampton Court Palace has called for the law to be changed to prevent harassment of new mothers.

Margaret Mikkelsen, 30, said England should follow the example of Scotland which introduced a law last November making it a criminal offence to deliberately obstruct breast or bottle feeding in a public place where children are allowed.

She was on a tour of the palace in south-west London with her family and relatives, who were visiting from the US, when her six-month-old daughter, Stella Faulkner, became hungry.

She sat down and was feeding the child discreetly when a female warder came over and directed her to the mother-and-baby room. "She suggested quite strongly that I should move. I didn't want to leave the tour and my family so I had sat down where I was so I could catch up with them quickly."

Ms Mikkelsen complained to Historic Royal Palaces, which runs Hampton Court, pointing out that no other visitors had objected.

Historic Royal Palaces replied: "All visitors should have their chests covered when inside and although the policy is more usually applied to men on hot summer days, it is a general rule.

"We have many visitors of all ages and nationalities who find women breast-feeding either offensive or an unwelcome distraction.

"The mother-and-baby room is the only area of the palace where we can guarantee privacy for the mother and child and where they will not disturb any visitors."

But yesterday, however, a spokeswoman said staff had misinterpreted a policy that nursing mothers should be shown where they could breastfeed in privacy as a ban on doing it in public. "It appears this warder was a little over zealous. The incident has highlighted a practice that has grown up but it is not our policy."

Mary Newburn, of the National Childbirth Trust, said a recent poll showed 84 per cent of the public had no objection to women breastfeeding in public.

The Scots law preventing harassment of mothers who breastfeed in public was introduced as a public health measure to promote breastfeeding. Ms Mikkelsen said a similar law was needed in England.

randhail said:

mmhmm, sure.... :rolleyes:

I did competitive gymnastics for 4 years and NEVER showed as much skin as they do. Even in the baking hot gym in the summers (which never had AC and was even hotter with 50 other sweaty bodied inside) I never "overheated" or dehydrated. That's what water is for.

ok maybe to prevent overheating is not the only reason...less clothing allows for sunlight to be taken in through the skin and aides in the production of vitamin D, allowing for calcium usage in the body and preventing osteoporosis. Given the athletic moves that the cheerleaders do, they need to have strong bones, which less clothing facilitates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom