Change the Subject! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Change the Subject!

so here we are. a few months after 2005, possibly the worst year ever for an American administration.

pop quiz, hot shot: the Republicans have just raised the debt limit to $9 trillion. incompetence has precipitated a brewing civil war Iraq. the Gulf Coast remains in shambles. Social Security reform was soundly defeated. there are virtually no substantive proposals being offered to the pubic.

so, what do you do if you must stop a Democratic landslide this November?

what do you do?!?!?!

answer: CHANGE THE SUBJECT! BLAME THE HOMOS!

[Q]House Republicans, for their part, intend to seek votes on measures such as the Bush-backed constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a bill allowing more public expression of religion, another requiring parental consent for women under 18 to get an abortion, legislation to bar all federal courts except the Supreme Court from ruling on the constitutionality of the Pledge of Allegiance, a bill to outlaw human cloning, and another that would require doctors to consider fetal pain before performing an abortion.

Two pollsters consulted by Mehlman on the choice strategy said it would be counterproductive for Republican candidates to concentrate on highlighting their differences with Bush or congressional Republicans. Of course this is not exactly disinterested advice. Mehlman and company all want to help the president, who stands to lose most from Republicans' adopting an "I'm not like Bush" strategy.

Dave Sackett of the Tarrance Group said, in a memo to Mehlman, that distancing oneself from the president is a "flawed strategy" and would not protect a Republican candidate "from the generic backlash against the administration or the congressional leadership." Rather, it would turn the campaign into "a national referendum on President Bush and the policies of the administration and the congressional leadership"--just what Republicans fear in 2006. Jan van Lohuizen of Voter/Consumer Research said a campaign that becomes a referendum on Bush could also chill Republican voter turnout. "Anything we do to depress turnout, by not running as a unified party, for instance, could very well lead to serious consequences in November."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...ykuud.asp?pg=2

[/Q]

Old 03-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 PM
House Republicans, for their part, intend to seek votes on measures such as

1. the Bush-backed constitutional amendment banning gay marriage,

2. a bill allowing more public expression of religion,

3. another requiring parental consent for women under 18 to get an abortion,

4. legislation to bar all federal courts except the Supreme Court from ruling on the constitutionality of the Pledge of Allegiance,

5. a bill to outlaw human cloning,

6. and another that would require doctors to consider fetal pain before performing an abortion.

these are the SIX major issues that are confronting America

or these are the SIX issues that the GOP believes will further divide and incite enough to keep the RED States voters on board?

Old 03-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

you forgot #7 -- banning human-animal hybrids lest a race of half-orangutang, half-human monsters take over the earth
Old 03-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Nothing is more important than virtue. Right?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Are you still living in the fifties down there? Come back to the future!!

They should legislate this kind of stuff too.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

no, only a critical mass of people are still living in the fifties.

sadly, Jesus seems to be telling them to vote Republican.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

And of course they would never question Him.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Jesus is the answer, guys.

How to solve the war? Jesus.
How to deflect gross ineptitude? Jesus.
How to solve the rising national debt? Jesus.
2+2=Jesus.

Melon
Old 03-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
She's the One

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
you forgot #7 -- banning human-animal hybrids lest a race of half-orangutang, half-human monsters take over the earth
These would be fine, as long as they're Christian, straight, and carry all their babies to term.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

[q]And finally, New Rule: The Republican and Democratic frontrunners for president in 2008 have to stop making me throw up until at least 2007. This week, the Republicans had a straw poll for the 2008 presidential election. 2008? The Democrats still have work to do losing the midterms. Diebold hasn't even started printing the false ballots!

And President "McDumbass" still has three more years of bloopers, boners and practical jokes!

But an interesting thing happened at this straw poll. Senator John McCain, the man the Vietnamese couldn't crack in torture chambers, got up and said, "Don't vote for me. Vote for George Bush, even though he can't run again." Wow, this guy is so far up Bush's ass, he can taste the near-beer. Because, in America, if you want the nomination bad enough, we can't just see you eat dirt; we have to watch you lick it off your lips.

And if you're going to win a national election, we're going to need to see some real proof that you're stupid enough to carry Kansas. Sorry, but if you think that issues like creationism or flag-burning or boys kissing are more important than messing up Iraq, the state of health insurance and the evaporating planet earth, then I have two words for you: the Sylvan Learning Center. Okay, that's four words, but the point remains...

The vote that frontrunners McCain and Hillary Clinton have already made very clear they're going after the wedge-issue cement-heads. McCain, who once called Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson "forces of evil," has now come out for teaching "intelligent design." That is sad, when smart people have to pretend to be so dumb to get elected.

Hillary - Hillary Clinton is all upset about flag-burning. Really? The valedictorian at Wellesley? The graduate of Yale Law School and the first female in outer space? Is upset about flag-burning?! And not just flag-burning. She's also come out hard against sexy video games and easy access to abortions. Great. What am I supposed to do now on Saturday night?

But if, like Hillary Clinton, America sees you as a true intellectual—and by that, of course, I mean lesbian—you have to smile extra wide when you get fitted for your "I'm with Stupid" tee-shirt. It may look easy, but when you're a politician, it's hard to figure out 'what would soccer moms think Jesus would do' before you answer every question.

So, don't get me wrong. I love idiots. I just don't think they should be in charge. And I'll tell you why. Because the majority of Americans are not idiots. Assholes, yes. But, idiots, no. ~ bill maher

http://www.hbo.com/billmaher/new_rules/

[/q]
Old 03-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:46 PM

Bill Maher cracks me up.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
[q]

So, don't get me wrong. I love idiots. I just don't think they should be in charge. And I'll tell you why. Because the majority of Americans are not idiots. Assholes, yes. But, idiots, no. ~ bill maher

http://www.hbo.com/billmaher/new_rules/

[/q]

hmmmm....and the majority of Americans re-elected George Bush to a second term.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Maoilbheannacht

hmmmm....and the majority of Americans re-elected George Bush to a second term.

what about the 40% who don't vote at all?

Old 03-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:16 PM
love Bill Maher

and I'm in the percentage that didn't vote for any member of the Bush family EVAH!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:

what about the 40% who don't vote at all?

By not voting, they essentially endorse the outcome of any election automatically.