Busted for being drunk...in a bar... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:51 PM
It strikes me as more of an allocation of resources question instead of a legality question.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:51 AM
exactly, the law is the law until they change it. I think it is ridiculous myself, but that's not going to be worth a whole in an arguement with a cop!!

They absolutely should be allocating those resources elsewhere, and who knows - that might be the point in enforcing this law, they are trying to draw attention to the fact they could be doing something better with their time. Kind of a work to rule standpoint, but maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part that they are that clever!!

Old 03-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
The pre-emptive strike has become very popular in all facets of life. The beauty is they don't have to make sense.
No kidding. When you think about it, what's to stop these sting ops from cherry picking anyone to arrest on suspicion of being drunk by virtue of being in a bar?

Guess it seems more legit than people just being whisked from street corners or their homes as in some of the more uncivilized police states of this world.

At least we can feel safe that there aren't drunks on the road.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:51 AM
how is a bar being "in public" -- i thought such distinctions were made for places deemed public property, like parks, streets, sidewalks, beaches, etc. a bar is a private business, how is it any different from, say, getting drunk at the employee Christmas party or even at my house?
Old 03-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
how is a bar being "in public" -- i thought such distinctions were made for places deemed public property, like parks, streets, sidewalks, beaches, etc. a bar is a private business, how is it any different from, say, getting drunk at the employee Christmas party or even at my house?
As a public accommodation.

If we treat a bar (or any similar business) the same as a house, you shut out all forms of government regulation.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 06:51 AM

seriously... then they should close / forbid bars alltogether

once again, I am amazed
Old 03-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Oooh! So the loud, obnoxious, slobbering, puking drunk behind me at damn near every gig I've ever been to can be arrested? Cool!

Other than those instances it seems pretty silly though.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Ah yes, this story reminds me of bar laws in college.

In Champaign, one must be 19 years old to enter a bar. (drinking age still 21) The police would raid bars and give tickets to anyone under 21 who was within an arm's length of a drink. Doesn't matter if you are drinking it or not. The arm's length was enough to get you a $275 dollar ticket. Really, a college bar? In Champaign? Everyone is within an arm's length of a drink. What a scam.

I never got caught but my sister racked up 2 tickets before turning 21.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:46 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

I would imagine people would be used to Texas being one of the most backward states in the union.

Melon
Old 03-23-2006, 06:54 PM   #25
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

getting arrested for being drunk at a bar? What do they quantify as being sufficiently intoxicated?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I would imagine people would be used to Texas being one of the most backward states in the union.
And ironically, that backwardsness is just as strongly associated with a tendency to overindulge in drinking as to primly oppose it as some kind of blight on society. I certainly saw a lot of both in the "backwards" place I grew up...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #27
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:51 PM
i think it's perfectly logical, really.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
If we treat a bar (or any similar business) the same as a house, you shut out all forms of government regulation.
(Prefaced to say that the following statement is in no way directed to nbcrusader... it's only a reaction to his comment in general. )

Egads - shut out MORE government regulation of our personal lives?!?!? Perish the thought.

I understand the public intoxication angle, but it's really not that far a leap to imagine that the next step for Texas (or any other state) is to arrest you if you get drunk in your home or the home of anyone else - because you could just as easily get in your car and drive drunk from there as you can a bar. A few more years & no one will be in danger any longer... Big Brother will have taken care of everything for us.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:21 AM
Send em to Padre Island !!

Hopefully, the judge will throw these charges out of court since this is definitely not the intent of the law. Oh wait, this is Texas, they're gonna burn.

Totally ridiculous! I would have an arrest record as thick as a phonebook if I was arrested for every time I was drunk in a bar.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

As someone explained it on the news last night, it is illegal to serve more in a bar to a person who is already intoxicated. So it is also for the protection of the bar and the server. With the drunk driving laws the way they are, that's probably the way things are headed in more places other than Texas. And I am all for preventing drunk driving, unfortunately there are far too many people who still refuse to be responsible. It's another situation of trying to balance rights and responsibilities.

There are also plenty of people who can and do drink in a bar without getting intoxicated.