Bush doesn't care about white people - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 12-15-2005, 11:02 AM   #16
New Yorker
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Max -- Thanks for the link. In looking at the reports, it seems the bigger issue is not race but rather age and you can do a news search to find that most mainstream media sources are writing about that and not race. Most of those who died were over the age of 60.

I, like you, thought it was weird that with numbers like this, the main stream media hadn't written a story on race -- I mean, the race of the dead must reflect the race of those who were evacuated, right? so I did a little digging of my own. The report below is a survey of evacuees done by the Washington Post/ Kaiser Family Foundation/ Harvard University. I would highly suggest you start with the demographics information on page 16. 32% of those evacuated made less than $10,000 per year. 52% did not have health insurance. 93% were black. If that doesn't tell you who was really affected by the hurricane, I don't know what does.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:08 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:47 AM
Age and poverty level seem to be the driving forces here.

Skin color seems to be an unfortunate side-effect of larger social forces. (Not the least of which is human trafficking, which the Bayou is known for covering.)