Bush & Cheney testify together for 9/11 hearing? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2004, 06:35 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Interesting...if this were about anything other than politics....why would two members of the commission leave during their testimony?

Old 04-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Text of Bush news conference

By The Associated Press | April 29, 2004

Text of President Bush's exchange with reporters at the White House on Thursday, April 29, 2004, after he and Vice President Dick Cheney met with members of the Sept. 11 commission, as transcribed by eMediaMillWorks Inc.:

PRESIDENT BUSH: The vice president and I just finished a good conversation with the 9/11 commission. It was wide-ranging, it was important, it was just a good discussion. And I really -- I appreciated the members.

I want to thank the chairman and vice chairman for bringing the commission here and giving us a chance to share views on different subjects. And they had a lot of good questions, and it was -- I'm glad I did it. I'm glad I took the time.

This is an important commission, and it's important that they ask the questions they asked so that they can help make recommendations necessary to better protect our homeland. And -- but it was -- I enjoyed it.

Let me answer a couple of questions.

QUESTION: Mr. President, what topic did the commissioners want to spend most of the time on? And were there any subjects that you didn't answer or were advised by your counsel not to answer?

BUSH: No. I was never advised by my counsel not to answer anything. I answered every question they asked.

Probably best that I not go into the details of the conversation and let them incorporate it into their report.

There was a lot of interest about how to better protect America. In other words, they're very interested in the recommendations that they're going to lay out and I'm interested in those as well.

And we discussed a lot of things, a lot of subjects. And it was a very cordial conversation. I was impressed by the questions. I think it helped them understand how I think and how I run the White House and how we deal with threats.

QUESTION: Mr. President, as you know, a lot of critics suggested that you wanted to appear jointly with the vice president so that you two could keep your stories straight or something. Could you tell us what you think of the value of appearing together and how you would answer those critics?

BUSH: First of all, look, if we had something to hide, we wouldn't have met with them in the first place. We answered all their questions.

As I say, I came away good about the session, because I wanted them to know, you know, how I set strategy, how we run the White House, how we deal with threats.

The vice president answered a lot of their questions -- answered all their questions. And I think it was important for them to see our body language as well, how we work together.

But it was -- you know, the commissioners will speak for themselves over time. They will let you know whether they thought it was a fruitful series of discussions. I think they did. I think they found it to be useful.

QUESTION: Mr. President ...

BUSH: Yes.

QUESTION: Don't you think that the families deserved to have a transcript or to be able to see ...

BUSH: You asked me that question yesterday. I got the same answer.

QUESTION: Can you say with any confidence there are no al-Qaida operatives active in the country today?

BUSH: No, I can't say that.

QUESTION: Did the commission ask you about that?

BUSH: No, they didn't. But I'm not going to get into any more details about what they asked me. I told you I wasn't going to give any details about what they asked me and then I fell into your trap.

Let me talk about vulnerabilities, then I've got to get back to work. We are still vulnerable to attack.

And the reason why is al-Qaida still exists, al-Qaida's dangerous, al-Qaida hates us, and we have to be correct 100 percent of the time in defending America and they've got to be right once. And therefore we are vulnerable.

But people need to know we're working -- we, the government -- at all levels are working long hours to protect America. We're doing the best we can.

The best way to secure America, however, is to stay on the offensive and bring those people to justice before they harm America again. And that's what we're continuing to do.

But, you know, so long as they're an al-Qaida enemy that is willing to kill, we are vulnerable.

Thank you, all.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:58 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

These quotes do not sound too parisan to me.

Quote:
Posted on Thu, Apr. 29, 2004

Sept 11 Commission Quotes

Associated Press

Some of the reaction to Thursday's appearance by President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney before the Sept. 11 commission:

---

"We discussed a lot of things, a lot of subjects. And it was a very cordial conversation. I was impressed by the questions. I think it helped them understand how I think and how I run the White House and how we deal with threats." _President Bush.

---

"The commission found the president and the vice president forthcoming and candid. The information they provided will be of great assistance to the commission as it completes its final report." _Statement issued by the Sept. 11 commission.

---

"The president was forthcoming and very animated in describing not only the events of that day but in leading us through his thinking both on that day and in developing policy before 9/11 and after 9/11." _Commission Chairman Thomas Kean, former Republican governor of New Jersey.

---

"We had a marvelous meeting with the president. The president's comments were very candid."_Commission Vice Chairman Lee Hamilton, former Democratic congressman from Indiana.

---

"It was a very good meeting. I do think it'll help - in particular the president's description of what happened during 2001 and most particularly on 9/11. The president's narrative was important to give." _Democratic commissioner Bob Kerrey, former Nebraska senator.

---

"There were no tense moments. I thought the president gave a five-star performance. I wish the American people could have seen it." _Republican commissioner Jim Thompson, former Illinois governor.

---

"While the president did most of the answering of the questions, the vice president was able to fill in some things, particularly when they were not at the same place at the same time, which helped us get a fuller picture." _Republican commissioner James Lehman, former Navy secretary.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #19
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
PRESIDENT BUSH: The vice president and I just finished a good conversation with the 9/11 commission. It was wide-ranging, it was important, it was just a good discussion. And I really -- I appreciated the members.
almost as good as daytime television
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-29-2004, 08:30 PM   #20
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:24 AM
How many times do I have to say it...

Please post LINKS and BRIEF EXCERPTS of information that is ORIGINAL TO SOMEPLACE OTHER THAN INTERFERENCE.

Thank you.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:30 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Interesting...if this were about anything other than politics....why would two members of the commission leave during their testimony?
Prior committments?? Bigger name on another line? I thought this testimony was so important....
Old 04-29-2004, 08:47 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:24 AM
Quote:
Wait what happened? I'm lost.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

This is what I saw on Drudge

Quote:
The Oval Office session began at 9:30 a.m. and ended at 12:40 p.m., but two Democrat commission members -- Lee Hamilton, the vice chairman, and Bob Kerrey -- walked out before it was over!

The stunning walk out -- after Democrats had complained that Bush was not alloting enough time for questions -- has ignited talk throughout official Washington.

In a written statement, Kerrey said he left an hour early to attend a previously scheduled meeting with Senator Pete Domenici on Capitol Hill.

Kerrey: "My office has received several calls asking why I left the White House prior to the conclusion of the session with the President and the Vice President. The reason is I had a previously scheduled meeting with Senator Pete Domenici on Capitol Hill."

Kerrey explained to reporters: "Yeah, it's a little awkward to leave early. But the president certainly understood what we were doing."

Hamilton left Bush/Cheney 70 minutes early to meet with the Canadian Prime Minister.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:51 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Did the meeting start on time?

So what, they left early from a puppet show where they knew that the two men who couldn't testify alone or have a transcript weren't going to say anything but scripted BS.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:35 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

"Bremer Faulted Bush Before Terror Attacks

Thu Apr 29,10:58 PM ET Add White House - AP to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON - L. Paul Bremer, the U.S. administrator in Iraq (news - web sites), said in a speech six months before the Sept. 11 attacks that the Bush administration was "paying no attention" to terrorism.

"What they will do is stagger along until there's a major incident and then suddenly say, 'Oh my God, shouldn't we be organized to deal with this,'" Bremer said at a McCormick Tribune Foundation conference on terrorism on Feb. 26, 2001.

Bremer spoke at the conference shortly after he chaired the National Commission on Terrorism, a bipartisan body formed by the Clinton administration to examine U.S. counterterrorism policies.

The remarks drew attention on the same day Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) appeared before the Sept. 11 commission to explain the precautions they took to prevent a terrorist attack after taking office in January 2001. "

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...bush&printer=1
Old 04-30-2004, 07:08 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Did the meeting start on time?

So what, they left early from a puppet show where they knew that the two men who couldn't testify alone or have a transcript weren't going to say anything but scripted BS.
Then you concur that the whole thing is a political farce. Gee, if I were going to hear the testimony and I wanted to show it was important I think I would stay.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:15 AM   #27
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Unless you believed the testimony would most likey be BS, or at least partial BS, because it was not being transcribed and it was not under oath and Butch and Sundance refused to testify apart. to both of them for making their dissent to the insult of this "testimony" heard, in MHO.

sd
Old 04-30-2004, 10:04 AM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Then you concur that the whole thing is a political farce. Gee, if I were going to hear the testimony and I wanted to show it was important I think I would stay.
Yes it's important but the way these two clowns held each others hand while testifying made it into a joke. I would have felt it was a waste of time and probably attended to prior obligations myself. There's no transcript, how is this testiomony even helpful? It's bullshit.