Brokeback Mountain - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:43 PM
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200..._350_101.jhtml

some of the interview

some nice pics too

one part-

"Some people are upset at the movie for portraying a homosexual relationship. How do Jake and Heath feel about such criticism?

"I still find it personally disappointing that people kind of go out of their way to voice their disgust or their opinions against the ways in which two people choose to love one another," Heath says. "I think that's really unfortunate."

Jake says that Brokeback Mountain depended on certain factors to even make it to the big screen. "I think it's taken a while for somebody who wanted to approach the story in such a universal way—someone like [director] Ang Lee—to jump on it and make the choice to do it."

One thing is for sure about this film. It may be the "gay cowboy movie," but no one would say that Jack or Ennis are effeminate.

Even still, Jake says, people tell him their gender theories of Jack and Ennis's relationship. "I think what's interesting to me is to hear people say, 'Oh, well, you're really the woman in the relationship and he's really the guy,'" Jake says. "And then someone else said, 'No, but you really try and go after him, so you're really the guy and he's really the woman.' And it's like, what are you talking about? I don't understand what you're talking about? To box people in, I think, is what this movie is trying to go against, you know?"

Old 01-27-2006, 06:42 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

'Oh, well, you're really the woman in the relationship "

What couple has not had this conversation?

damn
strap-ons

Old 01-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #273
War Child

Quote:
Her message to the writers of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN: “Don't try and take what we had, which was wonderful -- the cowboys that settled the state and made it what it was -- don't ruin that image... There's nothing better than plain old cowboys and the plain old history without embellishing it to suit everyone."

No lets just try and suit the "right" people that deserve it....whatever.People like this need to take their head &*%^$$% Sorry but people like this really irk me.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

that Oprah was unwatchable, with all the audience giggling and screaming and such

And Jake is adorable and charming

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The most lauded movie of 2005 added another honor to its list Saturday. Ang Lee was named filmmaker of the year by his peers, winning the Directors Guild of America award for the epic romance "Brokeback Mountain."

The win affirms Lee's position as favorite for best director at the Academy Awards on March 5. He has captured more than 10 honors for his work on the film, which follows a 20-year forbidden love affair between two Wyoming ranch hands. Oscar nominations will be announced Tuesday.

The Directors Guild award is one of Hollywood's best barometers for the Academy Awards. Only six times in the 57-year history of the Guild honors has the winner failed to go on to win the directing Oscar.

Lee was one of them. He won the guild prize in 2001 for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," but Stephen Soderbergh took home the best director Oscar for "Traffic."

This year, Lee bested fellow guild nominees Steven Spielberg ("Munich"), Paul Haggis ("Crash"), Bennett Miller ("Capote") and George Clooney ("Good Night, and Good Luck).

"There's no winner," Lee said before earning the night's top prize. "I think we're all winners because we're blessed. We're filmmakers. What a life."

Based on a short story by E. Annie Proulx, "Brokeback" stars Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as roughneck sheepherding pals who conceal their homosexual relationship from their families. Ledger and Gyllenhaal have garnered acting nods for their performances from critics groups and the Screen Actors Guild, which will present its awards Sunday.

"Ang Lee is fierce in his timidity, his humbleness and his respect for everyone around him," Gyllenhaal said as he presented the diminutive director with a medallion in honor of his nomination. "He's frustrating and so damn wise."

Ledger was equally generous with praise, thanking Lee for "introducing us to these delicate characters."

"It took a delicate man to tell this story, and that's you," Ledger said.

"I don't know about you," Lee said with a laugh, "but that feels a little gay to me."

The guild prize is particularly meaningful because it's decided by fellow directors, Lee said.

"This is like winning at home," he said. "This is professional approval."

Lee was also nominated for a DGA prize in 1995 for "Sense and Sensibility."

Spielberg, who has earned 10 guild nominations, characterized the year's nominated feature films as "the most courageous" of any he's competed against.

The DGA awards, presented at the Hyatt Century Plaza Hotel, honored directorial achievements in 10 categories.

Veteran director Clint Eastwood was presented with the guild's lifetime achievement award.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:43 PM
Quote:
"I still find it personally disappointing that people kind of go out of their way to voice their disgust or their opinions against the ways in which two people choose to love one another," Heath says. "I think that's really unfortunate."
Quote:
Even still, Jake says, people tell him their gender theories of Jack and Ennis's relationship. "I think what's interesting to me is to hear people say, 'Oh, well, you're really the woman in the relationship and he's really the guy,'" Jake says. "And then someone else said, 'No, but you really try and go after him, so you're really the guy and he's really the woman.' And it's like, what are you talking about? I don't understand what you're talking about? To box people in, I think, is what this movie is trying to go against, you know?"

Angela
Old 01-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
[B]that Oprah was unwatchable, with all the audience giggling and screaming and such

it was awful, wasn't it?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:34 AM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

I don't understand why Oprah couldn't have a serious discussion about it-to be fair though the cast seemed to be sort of "giggly" about it too. Maybe they felt uncomfortable with the audience reaction and with the way Oprah behaved, I don't know.

It was shut out of the SAG Awards last night- I don't think it will get any acting Oscars but maybe best director and maybe best picture (not too optimistic about that). I think best director is the best bet. Noms are announced tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #278
She's the One

If Michelle Williams doesn't get nominated, then there's something deeply wrong somewhere.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #279
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
If Michelle Williams doesn't get nominated, then there's something deeply wrong somewhere.

i bet she will. she's been nominated for just about everything, she just keeps losing to Rachel Weisz (who's also wonderful).

i can't freaking believe that a kid from Dawson's Creek is going to be nominated for an Academy Award.

i also don't believe that a kid from Dawson's Creek is impregnated by Tom Cruise.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

there have been far greater crimes in nominations in the past

at least this film is not getting ignored
like the unofficial boycott of Munich

i am glad that Crash received “ensemble award” from SAG,
that film is not getting it’s due.

I hope Jake gets supporting Nom and wins.

He was the driving force in this movie to me.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Michelle got it

Also Heath and Jake

Best Picture, Best Director..and several others probably

8 total nominations
Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 AM   #282
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 01-31-2006, 11:23 AM   #283
She's the One

Old 01-31-2006, 12:25 PM   #284
War Child

I know I don't post in FYM very often, but I just wanted to share a bit about the experience I had with this movie. I went to see the movie over the weekend with my sister, and I just have to say....WOW! I really wasn't sure what to expect with all the hype and everything, but I've been following everyone's comments in this thread with interest and I wanted to see it for myself. I was really impressed. As someone who was raised in a very conservative church (especially where so-called "moral" issues were concerned) and who has only recently started to investigate the issues for myself (and discovered some surprising things in the process), I think this movie is so important. It opened up the opportunity to have a serious discussion with my sister about the issues raised in the film....especially the extreme hatred and violence directed toward people who are different in our society. So, for every one of those people going to the media to deride the movie and an entire group of people in the process, I really hope there is at least one other person who had the experience my sister and I had. Regardless of what anyone thinks, love and compassion should ALWAYS be the first response. Love is love, no matter how it is expressed, and I know that many people don't see that. Anyway, thanks for letting me share that with you.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

that was very nicely said Shaliz