Brokeback Mountain - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
if i felt manipulated or not etc.

db9
keep your hands out of your pockets

Old 01-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Old 01-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
http://www.heathbaby.com/images/
Hot pics in FYM= I love the closeup one of Heath and Jake, look at Jake's eyelashes
Old 01-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #154
Blue Crack Supplier

[q]Still no brakes for 'Brokeback'
'Munich' solid as 'Mountain' climbs high

By BEN FRITZ

"Brokeback Mountain" continues to buck trends, showing even more heat in its fourth limited frame while "Munich" posted a second solid week on several hundred plays and "Match Point" aced its debut on a handful of courts.

"Brokeback" gained an amazing 61% in its fourth frame despite adding only 52 theaters. Focus' Ang LeeAng Lee-helmed gay cowboy love story lassoed up $4.8 million at 269 playdates, giving it a three-day per-screen average of $13,407.

Pic expanded to just a few additional mid-sized cities and made boffoboffo grosses in all of them, including $37,000 in Nashville, $44,000 in Columbus, and $32,000 in Milwaukee. Lowest-grossing theaters are in the suburbs, where "Brokeback" is averaging mid-single digits, similar to moderately performing wide pics like "Geisha" and "Rumor Has It."

Focus expects to add around 120 theaters Friday as part of a slow expansion throughout January.

"The process is working, but we still have to judiciously select our new markets and the ones where we expand," Focus distribdistrib toppertopper Jack Foley said. "It's a matter of timing and restraint to let the major competition get out of the marketplace."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1082&cs=1

[/q]

[q]America's heartland loves the Academy Awards, but the image of two cowboys riding into the sunset holding hands on Oscar night is the stuff of frontier nightmares.

Nevertheless, there is evidence that "Brokeback" may break down the resistance of red staters to at least the possibility of true same-sex romance. Ang Lee's film, adapted by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana from Annie Proulx's 1997 New Yorker short story, is that rare four-hankie movie that also has men dabbing their sleeves.

The question, in regard to its ultimate box-office success, is whether enough people will give it a chance outside the metropolitan centers and their surrounding suburbs.

As of Tuesday, "Brokeback" had sold $15.1 million worth of tickets in 269 mostly blue state theaters. Tomorrow it goes on the road, testing the conservative waters and adding another 200-plus theaters in Southern cities like Charlotte, N.C.; Lexington, Ky., and Baton Rouge, La., and in the Western towns of Tulsa, Okla.; Boise, Idaho; Bozeman, Mont., and Anchorage.

A studio spokesperson says the producers are encouraged by the advance buzz from red state critics. "Brokeback" has won the Best Picture award from critics groups in Florida, Dallas/Fort Worth, Las Vegas and in the state of Utah (the last presumably using a secret ballot).

According to exit polls, "Brokeback's" audience started as women in their 30s and now is about evenly split along gender lines. Straight men may be leaving shoe-leather skidmarks on the way into the theaters, but they're going.

Like "Curb Your Enthusiasm's" Larry David, who voiced his tongue-in-cheek objections to "Brokeback" in a recent New York Times op-ed piece, I felt that "cowboys would have to lasso me, drag me into the theater and tie me to the seat" to make me watch a pair of range riders steam up a pup tent.

But I've now seen the movie three times (twice with my wife, if you have to know) and it is one of the most devastating Hollywood love stories of all time.

If it wins the Oscar on March 6, it won't be for the reason most detractors think - that it's decadent Hollywood promoting the gay lifestyle - but for the sanest reason of all: because it's the best movie.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-322765c.html

[/q]
Old 01-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #155
War Child

Local Time: 10:30 PM
I called Regal Cinemas - headquarters are local - to ask them if they had any plans to play it locally. I talked to customer service and one of the buyers and SURPRISE SURPRISE - it starts here today.

My dentist wants to see it and so do a few coworkers and friends. So this is good for me. I will probably go with people this time, instead of alone, and we can go discuss at dinner later.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #156
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:30 AM
I just heard it's up for five out of six Golden Globes! I still haven't seen it, but will do this weekend.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #157
Blue Crack Addict

there is video of Shalit's review in the link

http://www.glaad.org/action/alerts_detail.php?id=3849#

On Jan. 5, NBC News' Today show featured Gene Shalit's review of Brokeback Mountain on his regular "Critic's Corner" segment. Rather than focus on the merits of the film, Shalit — who has been a Today show regular for 31 years — used the occasion to promote defamatory anti-gay prejudice to a national audience.

In the piece, Shalit refers to Jake Gyllenhaal's character, Jack, as a "sexual predator" who "tracks Ennis down and coaxes him into sporadic trysts." Shalit's bizarre characterization of Jack as a "predator" and Ennis (Heath Ledger) as a victim reflects a fundamental lack of understanding about the central relationship in the film and about gay relationships in general. It seems highly doubtful that Shalit would similarly claim that Titanic's Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) was a "sexual predator" because he was pursuing a romantic relationship with Rose (Kate Winslet).

Shalit does offer a kind word for Ledger's performance and says "Brokeback Mountain does have a few dramatic peaks" before calling the film "wildly overpraised, but not by me."

Shalit has every right as a film critic to criticize Brokeback Mountain. But his baseless branding of Jack as a "sexual predator" merely because he is romantically interested in someone of the same sex is defamatory, ignorant and irresponsible. And it is equally irresponsible for NBC News to have given Shalit a platform for his gratuitously offensive comments.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #158
She's the One

What the hell is his problem?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

I just watched the video and I agree, that is offensive. Yeah OK, no heterosexuals persue others in movies. Note on the GLAAD site it states that he has an openly gay son.

He isn't even reviewing the movie if you ask me- it just sounds like juvenile, snide, and offensive remarks

the GLAAD link has phone #s and e-mail to contact the Today Show if anyone is interested
Old 01-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life

Regretfully, I'll probably have to wait for the DVD. I just have no one to see this movie with, and I hate going to theaters alone.

Melon
Old 01-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

I go alone.

Saw this one alone.

When i first started going by myself I hated it, too.

Now, I think I may prefer it.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #162
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
there is video of Shalit's review in the link

http://www.glaad.org/action/alerts_detail.php?id=3849#

On Jan. 5, NBC News' Today show featured Gene Shalit's review of Brokeback Mountain on his regular "Critic's Corner" segment. Rather than focus on the merits of the film, Shalit — who has been a Today show regular for 31 years — used the occasion to promote defamatory anti-gay prejudice to a national audience.

In the piece, Shalit refers to Jake Gyllenhaal's character, Jack, as a "sexual predator" who "tracks Ennis down and coaxes him into sporadic trysts." Shalit's bizarre characterization of Jack as a "predator" and Ennis (Heath Ledger) as a victim reflects a fundamental lack of understanding about the central relationship in the film and about gay relationships in general. It seems highly doubtful that Shalit would similarly claim that Titanic's Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) was a "sexual predator" because he was pursuing a romantic relationship with Rose (Kate Winslet).

Shalit does offer a kind word for Ledger's performance and says "Brokeback Mountain does have a few dramatic peaks" before calling the film "wildly overpraised, but not by me."

Shalit has every right as a film critic to criticize Brokeback Mountain. But his baseless branding of Jack as a "sexual predator" merely because he is romantically interested in someone of the same sex is defamatory, ignorant and irresponsible. And it is equally irresponsible for NBC News to have given Shalit a platform for his gratuitously offensive comments.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Old 01-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

QueerEye for the Goofy Guy????

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

wow

this guy needs a Fab (twenty) Five makeover!!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I go alone.

Saw this one alone.

When i first started going by myself I hated it, too.

Now, I think I may prefer it.
I see most movies alone though I have plenty of people to go with. Like you, I generally prefer it. I saw this one with friends, though. I guess it depends on where you live. Having lived in NYC for so many years where going to movies alone is practically a way of life it felt perfectly normal. If I went alone in a small town it might feel weird.

Anyway, Shalit obviously has issues.