Brokeback Mountain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine and yolland, fabulous posts there, just wanted to say that first off :up:. Some very good points made from both of you, and Irvine, I think you're exactly right about what needs to happen in society. Someone just please tell me why in the world a person would care so much about someone's sexual orientation to the point of trying to make them feel like evil people for being who they are. We have so much more important stuff in this world to worry about.

The other thing I wanted to say is that Bill O'Reily, as usual, is an idiot.

Angela

Irvine511 said:
sort of an, oh well -- like when a child might choose to marry someone of a different religion, perhaps. not ideal, but hey, so long as everyone is happy.
:reject: Ouch. Really know how to cut right to a Jewish parent's heart, don't you? :wink:

Not much time to respond right now, but thanks as always for the generous response.

Originally posted by martha
I like to watch you guys talk.
:shame: Hey now, don't go getting kinky on us! :wink:

Last edited:
msnbc.com

“Brokeback Mountain” has an unlikely new fan. Howard Stern declared that he not only saw the flick that has been dubbed the “gay cowboy” film, but that he found it “incredibly moving.” . .

I don't think it's at all "unlikely", when I could listen to Howard on free radio he always defended the gay community as far as I could tell. I believe he also mentioned that he has a gay family member.

I havent always been a fan of Howard Stern,but I do appreciate the fact that he respects gay people.

I just read this on msnbc.com, I think it's incredibly pathetic

"Some eBay merchants hawking a shirt and a pair of cowboy boots they say were worn by Heath Ledger in “Brokeback Mountain” report that a children’s charity refused celeb memorabilia from the movie because of its controversial content. “The executive director informed us that several of the organization’s conservative board of directors had decided not to allow the ‘Brokeback Mountain’ items in their charity auction because they ‘did not agree with the movie’s homosexual views’, ” notes the sellers, identified as Live Oak Farm Auction House. “We were terribly offended and told the organization that we would gladly pick the items up. We have decided to list the items on here instead."

martha said:

:rolleyes:

How can homosexuality be something you "agree" with? :confused:

because it's a choice, silly. remember when you were a little girl and chose to be straight?

that, dear Martha, was a good choice, one that we all can agree with.

when Ennis *chose* to fall in love with Jack and have his life destroyed by crushing social forces he was powerless to understand, that was a choice we disagree with.

Irvine511 said:

because it's a choice, silly. remember when you were a little girl and chose to be straight?

that, dear Martha, was a good choice, one that we all can agree with.

when Ennis *chose* to fall in love with Jack and have his life destroyed by crushing social forces he was powerless to understand, that was a choice we disagree with.

Ahh, I see now.

I was thinking it may have been something akin to eating enchiladas, only to regret it later when they didn't "agree" with you.

Which, come to think of it, may be just what those morons were thinking.

Jake is so cute :drool: if I could have a fantasy boytoy it might be him :wink:

The other guy looks a little bit like Josh Duhamel (who is so damn hot that I actually watched the Martha Stewart show because he was on it)

I like this one from the new Vanity Fair that anitram posted in the celeb forum

:drool:

vanity-fair-hollywood-issue14.jpg

wow

Brokeback Mountain stars Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal have given the shirts off their back – or, at least, someone from the Oscar-nominated movie's studio has, in order to raise money for charity.

The shirts worn by the actors are for sale on eBay as part of an auction to benefit Variety – the Children's Charity of Southern California, reports the Los Angeles Times.

By Tuesday morning, the bid had reached $20,450. The sale ends next Monday at 5 p.m. PT.

As for why he bid $17,000 for the shirts, Dennis White, 48, of Seattle, told the Times: "They are so iconic. They are like the ruby slippers."

"We're overwhelmed by the bidding," the charity's executive director, Maria Schmidt, tells the paper. "This is already way over what any of us thought the shirts would bring."

AP

Country music outlaw Willie Nelson sang "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" and "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" more than 25 years ago. He released a very different sort of cowboy anthem this Valentine's Day.

"Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly (Fond of Each Other)" may be the first gay cowboy song by a major recording artist. But it was written long before this year's Oscar-nominated "Brokeback Mountain" made gay cowboys a hot topic.

Available exclusively through iTunes, the song features choppy Tex-Mex style guitar runs and Nelson's deadpan delivery of lines like, "What did you think all them saddles and boots was about?" and "Inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out."

The song, which debuted Tuesday on Howard Stern's satellite radio show, was written by Texas-born singer-songwriter Ned Sublette in Sublette said he wrote it during the "Urban Cowboy" craze and always imagined Nelson singing it.

Someone passed a copy of the song to Nelson back in the late 1980s and, according to Nelson's record label, Lost Highway, he recorded it last year at his Pedernales studio in Texas.

Nelson has appeared in several Western movies and sings "He Was a Friend of Mine" on the "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack.

MrsSpringsteen said:
wow

Brokeback Mountain stars Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal have given the shirts off their back – or, at least, someone from the Oscar-nominated movie's studio has, in order to raise money for charity.

The shirts worn by the actors are for sale on eBay as part of an auction to benefit Variety – the Children's Charity of Southern California, reports the Los Angeles Times.

By Tuesday morning, the bid had reached $20,450. The sale ends next Monday at 5 p.m. PT.

As for why he bid $17,000 for the shirts, Dennis White, 48, of Seattle, told the Times: "They are so iconic. They are like the ruby slippers."

"We're overwhelmed by the bidding," the charity's executive director, Maria Schmidt, tells the paper. "This is already way over what any of us thought the shirts would bring."

Good job:)

I just saw this for the second time. The story of the two lovers and friends resonated with me. It's a beautiful film and left my husband and I speechless for a long time, until we were tucked in bed and one of us finally said, "Sad film, huh". I went in with expectations, and Ang Lee did not disappoint.

Irvine, really appreciated that NYbooks review link. Thanks.

I think that love comes in innumerable guises, even hate is sometimes a form of it.

foray

I just found out recently that our theater isn't going to bring that movie here :(. Read some letter from someone in our paper the other day about how they were glad to hear that that "abomination" wouldn't be shown here, and then they went into some preachy religious rant about it all :rolleyes:. So I guess I'll have to wait until the DVD comes out or it's on TV or something to see it. In the meantime, I'm considering writing a letter or something, 'cause that kinda ticks me off.

Anywho, on a positive note, in regards to the story of the whole charity thing, way to go, guys, good move :up: :).

Would be interesting to hear that song Willie Nelson did, too :p.

Angela

I don't think it's going to win Best Picture Sunday, I think it will be Crash. I've seen all five movies and I would pick Brokeback Mountain.

Newsweek

March 6, 2006 issue - An Oscar nod for Best Picture often means big box-office increases, but "Brokeback Mountain" hasn't gotten the kind of bump insiders expected. Unlike last year's "Million Dollar Baby," which saw an 88 percent increase between the noms and Oscar night, and "Chicago," which shot up 100 percent, the grosses for "Brokeback" have actually been declining every weekend.

Projected to reach the $100 million mark before the Oscars, it'll now be lucky to touch $80 million. While that's still a huge success for a $14 million "gay cowboy movie," the new consensus is that "Brokeback" had such massive early buzz that by nom time, anyone who wanted to see the movie already had. The film could get a boost if it wins Sunday night, but for some Americans, it seems a same-sex love story is still too much, no matter how many trophies it wins.

i would really be upset if "Crash" won -- i admired it's intentions, but i think it is the worst movie of the bunch. my #2 was "munich" followed by "capote."

for some humor:

[q]Brokeback Mountain Weekly Grocery Lists
for Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist, Summer, 1963

WEEK ONE

· Beans
· Bacon
· Coffee
· Whiskey

WEEK TWO

· Beans
· Ham
· Coffee
· Whiskey

WEEK THREE

· Beans al fresca
· Thin-sliced Bacon
· Hazelnut Coffee
· Sky vodka & Tanqueray gin
· K-Y gel

WEEK FOUR

· Beans en salade
· Pancetta
· Coffee (espresso grind)
· 5-6 bottles best Chardonnay
· 2 tubes K-Y gel

WEEK FIVE
· Fresh Fava beans
· Jasmine rice
· Prosciutto, approx. 8 ounces, thinly sliced
· Medallions of veal
· Porcini mushrooms
· 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream
· 1 Cub Scout uniform, size 42 long
· 5-6 bot! tles French Bordeaux (Estate Reserve)
· 1 extra large bottle Astro-glide

WEEK SIX

· Yukon Gold potatoes
· Heavy whipping cream
· Asparagus (very thin)
· Organic Eggs
· Spanish Lemons
· Gruyere cheese (well aged)
· Crushed Walnuts
· Arborio Rice for Risotto
· Arugula
· Clarified Butter
· Extra Virgin Olive oil
· Pure Balsamic vinegar
· 6 yards white silk organdy
· 6 yards pale ivory taffeta
· 3 Cases of Dom Perignon Masters Reserve
· Large tin Crisco

[/q]

this year really is a great year for the LGBT community. There's Brokeback Mountain; Capote; Munich - co-written by the fabulous Tony Kushner; and Transamerica. Plus, it has been reported that everyone - gay, straight, lesbian, transgender etc - finds Jon Stewart sexy

My 72 year old Mother saw the film - she doesn't have a homophobic bone in her body. She didn't like it at all. Bad writing. Bad story. Unsympathetic characters. Sounds like a dud to me. If it were about a straight couple it probably would have been lost in the DVD dustbins of history.

Harry Vest said:
My 72 year old Mother saw the film - she doesn't have a homophobic bone in her body. She didn't like it at all. Bad writing. Bad story. Unsympathetic characters. Sounds like a dud to me. If it were about a straight couple it probably would have been lost in the DVD dustbins of history.
I actually finally saw the movie tonight. I was prepared to love it to death and i came away going, "That was a good movie."
The characters were very sympathetic though. The woman - who could've been given villianous roles - came off remarkably sympathetic. And, you just want to cry for both of the male characters.
All the hype led me to believe it would be the greatest movie ever; it's not, although it is a really fine movie. I'm in the minority but i'm hoping Munich wins the oscar. Not only is it a fabulous movie, Tony Kushner co-wrote the sceenplay. Kushner is one of my favorite writers...anyone remember Angels in America?
Oh, and come on, your mom might be great but to claim she doesn't have a homophobic bone in her body? I'm not saying she wants to have a homophobic bone in her body, but in American society I think it's really hard not to have any homophobic thoughts. It's something WASPS must realize - we have established a society that breads contempt for marginalized groups - and confront.

Last edited:
first, jon stewart was terrific.

i am upset at the "crash" win. i simply didn't think it was that strong a movie -- sure, great ideas, and wonderful intentions, but i simply can't see it as a great film. i thought "munich" was better. i thought "capote" was better. i certainly thought "brokeback" was better.

ultimately, these award shows are meaningless to the art itself, they only help in cementing a film's place in history and in shaping whatever cultural impact a film might have. but that's really it.

to my mind, this is going to go down as one of those Oscar "d'oh" moments -- like "shakespeare in love" (which is a fine film) beating out "saving private ryan" (which is a film that advanced what motion pictures can do).

what happens, i think, is that the vast majority of people who vote on the Oscars are actors, and they live in LA. "crash" was adored, not just for it's extremely aggressive DVD campagin (which also calls into mind the "buying" of the Oscar as with "shakespeare"), but because it was about LA, and it was a true ensemble piece. actors love that stuff. and that's fine.

what DOES bother me is the conversation that's going to happen for the next couple days where social conservative talking heads are going to tout "brokeback's" not winning the Oscar as some sort of validation for the idea that america is still not "ready" to fully embrace gay people. this is ammunition for them, which is hugely ironic, seeing as how just a few years ago no one would have made the film, let alone a film that will eventually gross close to $100m in the US alone (at a budget of $13m) and that won the majority of the ciritc awards as well as a respectable number of Oscars.

so the film is a landmark, no matter what, and it has ultimately suffered from the hype that surrounded it -- to live up to the snowballing of the buzz, the film would have to cure cancer. it doesn't. but it is a profoundly affecting work of art, at least in my view, and i do think it is a film for the history books.

Back
Top Bottom