Brilliant satire or offensive? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:23 AM
two more

who could believe the New Yorker cover is supposed top be taken as factual ?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:23 AM
How big a deal is the Obama campaign making of this in actuality? I saw an article on the web about some "furor" but since then the most "furor" I've seen over it has been here in this thread (and even here I'm trying to think of whose been stoking the fires of mortification on this thread. . .and no one is coming to mind).

Has Obama released any more statements since his initial one complaining about the cover?

How much TV coverage is it getting?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

This thread did get off to nice little running start.

Until someone started posting reasonable questions.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Went back to the first page. . .didn't seem to be much furor there either.

The strongest thing most people were saying was they didn't think it was that brilliant.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #80
War Child

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
How big a deal is the Obama campaign making of this in actuality? I saw an article on the web about some "furor" but since then the most "furor" I've seen over it has been here in this thread (and even here I'm trying to think of whose been stoking the fires of mortification on this thread. . .and no one is coming to mind).

Has Obama released any more statements since his initial one complaining about the cover?

“The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama’s right wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree,” spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement.

Obama slams New Yorker portrayal - Yahoo! News
Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Went back to the first page. . .didn't seem to be much furor there either.

The strongest thing most people were saying was they didn't think it was that brilliant.

does nice little running start. = a furor ?

( insert hair splitting image here )
Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFisher View Post
“The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama’s right wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree,” spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement.

Obama slams New Yorker portrayal - Yahoo! News
Yeah, that was the original statement I'd heard. Any more since then? Because if that single statement bya spokesman is all we've got I don't know that that qualifies as "furor."
Old 07-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yeah, that was the original statement I'd heard. Any more since then? Because if that single statement bya spokesman is all we've got I don't know that that qualifies as "furor."
ah, you are a sly one there

putting words in other posters mouths
Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

It is on Obama supporting web sites

Yikes! Controversial New Yorker Cover Shows Muslim, Flag-Burning, Osama-Loving, Fist-Bumping Obama

Arianna has been and is one of Obama's biggest supporters, she led the charge against the Clintons in the primaries, She was here Sunday when Obama raised over a million dollars from 40 donations. By the way, most of Obama money has come from donations over $200.

There seems to be an impression that most of his money is from the under $200

Not that there is anything wrong with us rich folks, just don't believe the hype!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:23 AM
I would be quite surprised if there wasn't an article on the Huffington Post on that.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Nice picture. Nice flag pin.

Dark suit, white shirt, solid burgundy tie.

I tivoed his speech this morning when that picture was taken.

I thought he was doing a great job of giving the people the right image.

I have gone on interviews, negotiated contracts, given speeches, and been on television.

I have always been keenly aware that my appearance and demeanor will contribute significantly to the success of my endeavor.

Looks like the Obama camp is finally getting the message.

He would not have so many problems with his image, if he had put more thought into how he was presenting himself.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

Nice picture. Nice flag pin.

Dark suit, white shirt, solid burgundy tie.

I tivoed his speech this morning when that picture was taken.

I thought he was doing a great job of giving the people the right image.

I have gone on interviews, negotiated contracts, given speeches, and been on television.

I have always been keenly aware that my appearance and demeanor will contribute significantly to the success of my endeavor.

Looks like the Obama camp is finally getting the message.

He would not have so many problems with his image, if he had put more thought into how he was presenting himself.

he clean enough for you now?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:23 AM
Quote:
And this to me is exactly the problem. There are too many people in this country for whom the leadership of our country "is just too unimportant" and who "arent paying attention." There are far too many people, who are otherwise quite intelligent, who don't bother to be informed and thus make ill-informed decisions. And I'm not saying that if everyone "paid attention" they'd all be liberal. I consider you to be one of those who chooses to be "informed" and "pays attention" and obviously you have kept your conservative views.
First, glad you realized my earlier post was a joke and simply a reference to some fun we had a few weeks back. It's only the internet, but you come across as being humble and quite the opposite of elitist.

The key part I mentioned was "at this time." Just like in sports, there is a regular season and then there are the playoffs where the stadiums fill up and the crowds get louder. Though Obama seems to have a head start in that department.
As we build towards the election with the conventions and then debates, then it will be playoff time and Americans will begin to pay more attention to the details.
Compare Fall election voting totals to primary season voting totals if you doubt me.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well, I'll be the first to admit that I don't get it. Perhaps I'm not as much of a highbrow elitist as I thought. :hmmm:

I guess I'm confused becaue I enjoy perusing People but I don't like The Cheesecake Factory at all. And the Red Bull/7-11/Newports thing just totally threw me off. . . .

I guess I must have pretentions to elitism then. . .

cheesecake factory = the SUV of chain restaurants

the red bull/newports thing was a stab at a characterization of the "real" Red Stater, not the mom-and-apple-pie the self-styled anti-elitists would like to think of themselves as such.

on that tangent, it seems as if it's the anti-elitists who seem to have the most problems -- it's in the Red States where citizens are more plagued by multiple marriages, multiple baby-daddys/mommas, smoking, STDs, abortions. and, conversely, it's the educated elitists who much more embody the June Cleaver ethics of the 1950s with lower divorces, children born in wedlock, etc.

here:

Quote:
How can Republicans reclaim their majority and find their voice going forward?
DOUTHAT: We think they should create a pro-family party that doesn't abandon the party's commitment to social conservatism. The GOP should remain--and has to remain--a pro-life party. But a lot of the challenges faced by working-class Americans in the modern economy actually flow from issues of family breakdown. It's interesting. If you look at the marriage rates in the 1950s and 1960s across social classes, the upper-middle class, the working class and the poor all got married and divorced at about the same rate. The all had children in wedlock or out of wedlock at about the same rate. That's changed dramatically over the past 50 years. So upper-middle-class Americans are still behaving like bourgeois, 1950s surburbanites. They're getting married, they have low divorce rates, they're very unlike to have children out of wedlock. That's not true for the working class. What you see in the white working class, in fact, is a trajectory that parallels, in alarming ways, what the black working class went through in terms of collapsing marriage rates and out-of-wedlock birth rates in the 1960s and 1970s. So we argue that that's one of the biggest challenges facing the American working class, and it's at the root of a lot of the inequality and a lot of the economic anxiety that are big factors in this election year.

Stumper : Expertinent: Building a 'Grand New Party'

so, i suppose i'm reacting a bit to the "Obama is an elitist" charge is actually a reflection of anxiety over a huge strata of society that is actually in complete and total crisis right now.

don't know where this takes us, but wanted to explain my damn self.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
First, glad you realized my earlier post was a joke and simply a reference to some fun we had a few weeks back. It's only the internet, but you come across as being humble and quite the opposite of elitist.
I gotcha. Though, I'm really not very humble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
The key part I mentioned was "at this time." Just like in sports, there is a regular season and then there are the playoffs where the stadiums fill up and the crowds get louder. Though Obama seems to have a head start in that department.
As we build towards the election with the conventions and then debates, then it will be playoff time and Americans will begin to pay more attention to the details.
Compare Fall election voting totals to primary season voting totals if you doubt me.
Fair enough. I always thought the early start to the campaign coverage was a little absurd.