Bridge the gap... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Bridge the gap...

It seems we're a nation that's divided more than ever. The gap between the right and the left is widening.

What do you believe are the major issues dividing the two?

What issues can be used as a bridge, and how would you go about bridging the two?

Compromise, it's not a dirty word.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:19 AM
Re: Bridge the gap...

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
It seems we're a nation that's divided more than ever. The gap between the right and the left is widening.

What issues can be used as a bridge, and how would you go about bridging the two?

Compromise, it's not a dirty word.
Gay marriage/civil unions have got to be a major dividing point. Unfortunately, I think it's such a hot-button, emotional issue that no one is going to compromise. No cease-fire, unfortunately. There are killings, attacks and other vicious things going on surrounding the issue. This is scary.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
War Child

I think we had a thread in here awhile back that talked about how Hilary wanted the two sides to work together when in came to sex ed and abortion. One where we try programs that actually educate, start to eliminate abortion on demand and make steps towards a nation that has less unwanted pregnacy rate rather than an all or nothing attitude.

I think if the right stepped back on trying to legislate "morals" such as gay marriage realizing it's not going to hurt anyone or change their straight kids gay. And the left stepped back a little and didn't try and make everything so PC. We could focus on real issues.

I also think if we came together and tried to initiate programs that would bring a true level playing field to education and allowing us to eventually ridding ourselves of affirmative action programs.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 AM
Re: Re: Bridge the gap...

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Gay marriage/civil unions have got to be a major dividing point.
And I refuse to compromise.

Melon
Old 03-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:19 AM
Frankly, the issue of a great divide is on the decline. By that, I mean that the US public, with its short attention span, has moved on to other things. It made for a nice campaign media topic.

Unity, on the other hand, will develop outside of the influence of politics.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:19 AM
i'm optimistic that politics has its cycles of division and unity. they come and go. maybe that's naive but it's what i believe.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Frankly, the issue of a great divide is on the decline. By that, I mean that the US public, with its short attention span, has moved on to other things. It made for a nice campaign media topic.

I find that to be either extremely too naive or entirely too optimistic. Hopefully just optimistic, but the divide is there and it's obvious.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
i'm optimistic that politics has its cycles of division and unity. they come and go. maybe that's naive but it's what i believe.
Politics does indeed have cycles. What about the divisions during the Vietnam era? They were serious too but healed in time.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:19 AM

Abortion and war.

Finding common ground, make resolutions, discuss the issues MORE often, and respect what your troops are doing whether or not you agree with it.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:30 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Bridge the gap...

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

And I refuse to compromise.

Melon
And you shouldn't.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Frankly, the issue of a great divide is on the decline.
I don't see it.

Quote:

I think it will have to be the combination of both.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

Abortion and war.
I think War as a divider is on the out. Many don't agree with it, but the majority of liberals realize we can't do anything about it. We just have to work on a plan to finish and get them out without jeopardizing the future of the Middle East if possible.

As far as abortion I don't think it's quite the divider that some may find it. I mean yes don't get me wrong I realize it creates very heated discussions, but I really haven't seen it play a big role in an election. I mean no one's going to be able to reverse it any time soon. We have pro-lifers on both sides and pro-choice on both sides, it's not an obvious line drawn down the center.

Quote:

and respect what your troops are doing whether or not you agree with it.
I don't think this has ever been an issue, it's something invented my war supporters in order to associate guilt with those that didn't support it.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
As far as abortion I don't think it's quite the divider that some may find it. I mean yes don't get me wrong I realize it creates very heated discussions, but I really haven't seen it play a big role in an election. I mean no one's going to be able to reverse it any time soon. We have pro-lifers on both sides and pro-choice on both sides, it's not an obvious line drawn down the center.
I think it's something liberals hate to talk about, but they need to talk about it. A lot of conservatives have misconceptions about how liberals feel about it. I've read something about how the republicans try not to appear so obsessed with the issue, since after all, obsessions turn people off. Alan Keyes is a great example of that. You're right, there are pro-lifers on both sides, yet pro-choicers on both sides. Reverse it any time soon? Probably not. That's even more true with the death penalty. 2/3 of this country supports it.

Quote:
I don't think this has ever been an issue, it's something invented my war supporters in order to associate guilt with those that didn't support it.
Not at all what I was getting at. I don't mean to hit people with guilt, but rather, appreciate their willingness to serve. It shouldn't be a partisan thing. I just wish we could live in the now - and realize that we can't take back the invasion.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Abortion and war.

Finding common ground, make resolutions, discuss the issues MORE often, and respect what your troops are doing whether or not you agree with it.
I'm not sure that abortion and war are the great dividers. I think they are good trigger devices, but I'm not sure the issues themselves are divisive. I think it's a whole chasm between values, definitions of patriotism and freedom, interpretation of what America should mean, even the way we use language. Sometimes I think we are two species descended from a common ancestor. I am so tired of politics, but I get drawn in again and again.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:19 AM
it is a problem, let me give an example.

as i was walking from the gym to the metro (being the good liberal i am, i use public transportation), i crossed a major avenue at the crosswalk and with the little man telling me it was my turn to cross the street. i suddenly heard a honk, and a huge SUV with a beliggerant "POWER OF PRIDE!" bumpersticker nearly took me out as it blatantly drove through a red light. it was actually rather scary, being only a few feet from what could have been a fairly serious accent, and while i'm a strong guy (i had just been lifting at the gym), i'm certainly no match for an SUV.

maybe it was the SUV, maybe it was that bumper sticker, but as the guy drove off i got really angry, flicked him off, and screamed something to the effect of "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING YOU MOTHERFUCKING REPUBLICAN ASSHOLE!"

that can't be a good sign.