Bono's silence is strange and disappointing - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2003, 04:40 PM   #31
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797
Would it change the minds of some of you guys if you did know his opinion?

I would rather Bono be in the studio with the rest of U2 making a new album than know what he thinks about this subject.
So would I if Bono would stick to music,but if Bono "speaks extensively" on non-musical subjects,I can't but listen to him.
I've never said it would change my mind.But it would change my
view of Bono as a personality that's not than just a brilliant musician.
It's not important for him of course,but for me it is.

Old 02-15-2003, 04:41 PM   #32
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Pubcrawler =

Very well put!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 02-15-2003, 04:42 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It would appear that some on this forum like to make uninformed and mistaken presumptions about what other people think and say.

There is nothing in Bono's past history that would say where he stands conclusively on a possible military invasion of Iraq. Only if one were to assume that Bono is a pacifist, could one say that Bono would be against a military invasion of Iraq. But it is a fact that Bono is not a pacifist by the fact that he has stated he is not, and his past support for US military intervention in Bosnia and the US invasion of Aghanistan to overthrow the Taliban. To many people have mistaken his opposition, primarily to violence in Northern Ireland, to mean that he is a pacifist. Whatever Bono's opinion is on possible military intervention in Iraq, I certainly won't hold it against him personally as some like to do in this forum.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:47 PM   #34
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Aine

So would I if Bono would stick to music,but if Bono "speaks extensively" on non-musical subjects,I can't but listen to him.
I've never said it would change my mind.But it would change my
view of Bono as a personality that's not than just a brilliant musician.
It's not important for him of course,but for me it is.
why do you need your "view" of Bono changed? He is an established musician who, in this day and age, he and his band are the elder statesman of music so why would what he said affect your views about him.

It's not like U2 is a new band and you don't know what they think. They are humanitarians. They are for good not bad. Why do need to know what any of them think about anything outside of the music they create? Would you suddenly stop listening to them if one of them said something that goes against your own beliefs? I highly doubt it. You can't let what a celebrity thinks affect how you live day to day because it's doubtful they would change their own belief system if they didn't believe in what you believe in.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:49 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sure Bono has an opinion like everyone else. If he is anti-war, I can see how he wouldn't want to risk angering his new friends in DC when what he says about Iraq when whatever he says and thinks would make no difference, and his credibility he's gained for his causes in Africa are too important to take a chance with now that he already has the money pledged from the government. I totally understand how no matter what he says right now about the situation, it would piss someone off (including people here) so he is best to keep his feelings, whatever they may be, to himself. He can achieve NOTHING by speaking out, and preserve a lot by keeping silent. That's how I would feel if it were me.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:52 PM   #36
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox

UKTan -

Hello Gabriel

Aren't you supposed to be out partying???

PS: Cleveland pics hopefully online tomorrow...you have been warned!
Old 02-15-2003, 04:57 PM   #37
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

There is nothing in Bono's past history that would say where he stands conclusively on a possible military invasion of Iraq.
Exactly, and that is why some posters should not in this and in other threads in the past use statements like 'Bono is not a pacifist' to attempt to support their positions.

Quote:

Only if one were to assume that Bono is a pacifist, could one say that Bono would be against a military invasion of Iraq.
Logical fallacy. The millions who are intervening and protesting against a military invasion of Iraq are not exclusively made up of pacifists, in fact many former and current military personel in many countries are amongst them, and they could be hardly described as pacifists.

Quote:

But it is a fact that Bono is not a pacifist by the fact that he has stated he is not,

He stated that he is not because of the imperfect nature of his human existence, and that he did aspire to be one. That is different from stating that he is a war monger and loves war.

Quote:

and his past support for US military intervention in Bosnia and the US invasion of Aghanistan to overthrow the Taliban.
Bono, and many of the people on this and other forums, myself included, supported an effort to bring criminals who brutally murdered over 3000 US civilians in an act of terror to justice. I for one did not support every facet of what that effort involved, including the accidental bombing and killing of 3 Canadian servicemen, and I doubt Bono did either.

Quote:

To many people have mistaken his opposition, primarily to violence in Northern Ireland, to mean that he is a pacifist.
I would like to see some hard evidence posted that indicates that Bono thru his lyrics and public messages has stated ANYTHING other than that peace should come first and that war is always a last and final and least attractive alternative.

I will out and out say it: I doubt VERY much that Bono supports a US/British invasion of Iraq at this time.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 02-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #38
Acrobat

This is how it is: Some people are fans of U2 because of the two components politics and music. Some just like the music. Accept that, people see different things in a band, and don't try to change the other fan to only see what you see in the band. It's all subjective.
But it's a different "relation-ship" between the fan and the object of admiration (U2). the thing is Bono DOES "owe" some things to us IF he wants to keep us as fans. Maybe he doesn't want that. That's fine, but it's of course dissapointing for some of us fans. Simple as that.

ps: Sorry for my poor english, I hope I make myself clear.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #39
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally posted by UKTan

Hello Gabriel

Aren't you supposed to be out partying???

PS: Cleveland pics hopefully online tomorrow...you have been warned!

GOOD POINT!!!

And you KNOW how long it takes me to get ready!!

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 02-15-2003, 05:02 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Pub Crawler,

"Nope, it's not a verfiable fact. You'd do well to take your own advice and stop projecting your beliefs on to Bono."

Read "Until The End Of The World" by Bill Flanegan. Find a library that might have a back issue of the 2001 year end issue of HOT PRESS with BONO on the cover. It is a verfiable fact. I have not projected any of my beliefs on BONO, I have merely gone by what the man has said on these events and about being a Pacifist.

No one supports the killing of innocent people, unless your Saddam Hussein. To be for military intervention in Iraq does not mean you support the killing of innocent people. Bono supported US military intervention in Bosnia knowing full well that accidents would happen and innocent people would be killed. But he also knew that there was no other way to stop the Serb Slaughter and rape of the Muslim population. He supported the US military invasion of Afghanistan because he knew it was important to defeat the terrorist that were based there.

"Supporting the "War on Terror" and supporting the bombing of Iraq are two different things."

I've not stated that BONO in any way supports a military intervention in Iraq!!!!!!!!

At the same time, he has not said anything to suggest he is against it either!!!!!

I simply brought up the verifiable facts that Bono is not a Pacifist by his own admition and that he has supported US military intervention in other places around the world.

Yes Bono aspires to be a Pacifist. Everyone that is not evil aspires to be a Pacifist as well.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:03 PM   #41
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797

Why do need to know what any of them think about anything outside of the music they create? You can't let what a celebrity thinks affect how you live day to day because it's doubtful they would change their own belief system if they didn't believe in what you believe in.
Because they have become more than just music.At least Bono
has.I always thought there was more to him than just being a "celebrity".And his views are also important for me.They may not change mine but they sometimes help to understand him and his music.Just like when he said they wanted to make the world
better,"to tear off the small corner of darkness"as he put it.
Perhaps there're fans who listen to "just music" and fans,like
Follower and myself,who listen to what Bono says in public as well and it's important to us.
Btw,following some people's logic,Northern Ireland should have been bombed long ago because of Sinn Fein.
Then why it's okay to kill 2000 innocent people in Yugoslavia just
because Milosevic is a bastard? Go get him if you can.The same thing with Iraq:if Saddam's a moron,should civils pay for him?Or maybe it's not really about Saddam but about something more mundane?I don't believe people are that naive.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:09 PM   #42
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by U2FReAk
This is how it is: Some people are fans of U2 because of the two components politics and music. Some just like the music. Accept that, people see different things in a band, and don't try to change the other fan to only see what you see in the band. It's all subjective.
But it's a different "relation-ship" between the fan and the object of admiration (U2). the thing is Bono DOES "owe" some things to us IF he wants to keep us as fans. Maybe he doesn't want that. That's fine, but it's of course dissapointing for some of us fans. Simple as that.

ps: Sorry for my poor english, I hope I make myself clear.
That very much sums it all up.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:11 PM   #43
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox

GOOD POINT!!!

And you KNOW how long it takes me to get ready!!

Immaculately turned out, but a pain in the ass to wait for

Have a great time tonight
Old 02-15-2003, 05:12 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Aine,

Sting, you mean 1999? I tried to find some info on that but failed.
Did he ever spoke of the results,I mean,2000 civils killed,90 ancient churches ruined,Orthodox nuns being raped by Albanian
extremists? Surely he couldn't have heard of that? Can you tell me
where I can find any of his speeches Yugoslavia-related? Thanks.

Actually I mean the war in Croatia and Bosnia from 1991 to 1995. It was sort of similar to the situation in Kosovo in 1999. I've not seen Bono's comments on the Kosovo operation or anything that happened in Kosovo for that matter.

But Bono spoke out extensively on the Bosnian situation. When he came to my home town and I got to meet him, he talked about the Ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and that something needed to be done to stop it. That was in 1992. He spoke up about the ethnic cleansing and that the West needed to do something to stop at many concerts on the ZOO TV TOUR.

In The Book "Until The End Of The World", BONO talks about his hope that the USA would military intervene to stop the slaughter in Bosnia and his anger at Europe for being so passive in regards to the Bosnian issue.

In January of 1996, Bono was the first celebrity to visit war torn Sarajevo. In 1997, U2s POPMART tour came to Sarajevo and he thanked the US and British soldiers in the audiance for bringing and keeping the peace in Bosnia.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:17 PM   #45
Bordering Purgatory

Local Time: 05:53 AM
bosnia was a completely different story than iraq.

your government has an attrocious track record of supplying the "good guys" (ie bin laden, hussein, etc.) only to see it blow up in your face down the road. what possibly makes you think that anything short of a complete puppet regime would not turn against you again?

about the goose-step, when will the american militairy be incorporating that into their victory marches in foreign countries? theyre on quite the world conquest, it would only make sense if they looked sharp while on parade.

i will make you hurt