Bono's Comments this morning... - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I do not believe in raising anyones taxes until we get a handle on the unecessary spending.

i'm not talking about raising taxes.

i'm talking about repealing fiscally irresponsible tax cuts -- a far worse crime than pork.

i also think a gas tax is the least we can do in a nation that has been told to go shopping in response to terror.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #107
Refugee

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I do not believe in raising anyones taxes until we get a handle on the unecessary spending.
Fair enough. So is keeping taxes level but re-allocating additional funds to foreign aid in a time of emergency necessary or unecessary spending?

Old 02-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'm not talking about raising taxes.

i'm talking about repealing fiscally irresponsible tax cuts -- a far worse crime than pork.
Sorry, but that is nonsense.

Pork is a significant problem in our political structure - a problem we have had for decades. There are many funding objectives that could be achieved if pork was cut.

Tax cuts are a proven tool to end recessions and generate new income from a growing economy. The recovery from the 2000-01 recession was a direct results of tax cuts.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Sorry, but that is nonsense.

Pork is a significant problem in our political structure - a problem we have had for decades. There are many funding objectives that could be achieved if pork was cut.

Tax cuts are a proven tool to end recessions and generate new income from a growing economy. The recovery from the 2000-01 recession was a direct results of tax cuts.

sorry, but the fetishization of tax cuts at the expense of worthwhile social programs, combined with republican politicians who want to build bridges to uninhabited islands off the coast of alaska is what is nonsense.

pork is a problem, of course; but so is irresponsible fiscal policy, of which irresponsible tax cuts are the beating heart, which is a hallmark of the Bush presidency.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #110
Refugee

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
This summer my church is organizing a trip to South Africa. We're going to build an orphanage and dig wells. It's going to cost roughly $2500/person to go. I have no idea how I'm going to afford it, but I've already committed to going. If more of us did the same, perhaps the government would step in line with what its people are doing.
That is so true. This is exactly the type of groundswell that once it spreads and becomes part of the more mainstream social fabric, adds to the political pressure for change.

It's happening already...mainstream travel agencies are organizing and selling humanitarian vacations. You no longer have to be part of a church group or member of a charitible organization to make a direct and meaningful contribution.