Bono to party with Liberals - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Bono to party with Liberals

He'll be apearing at the Liberal Party of Canada leadership convention. This really pisses me off because the Liberals, in my eyes, are as close as you can be to being a dictatorship. They have run this country for 10 years and have fucked issue after issue. Their rein has been marked with scandel after scandel. And its seems from where i'm sitting that Bono would whore himself out just for some money for africa but doesnt consider the political effects that happen within Canada. Paul Martin is already our leader and there hasnt even been an election, our Prime Minsiter is holding the Cabinet ransom for a spot on the UN and wont leave until he gets it and until he gets his legacy.

What a fucken mess!

Old 11-05-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:59 AM
I'm a little surprised he's doing a partisan event, particularly as he obviously is not a Canadian citizen.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:03 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:59 PM
Bono seems willing to go to anyone who will listen and who could help.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Re: Bono to party with Liberals

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
He'll be apearing at the Liberal Party of Canada leadership convention. This really pisses me off because the Liberals, in my eyes, are as close as you can be to being a dictatorship. They have run this country for 10 years and have fucked issue after issue. Their rein has been marked with scandel after scandel. And its seems from where i'm sitting that Bono would whore himself out just for some money for africa but doesnt consider the political effects that happen within Canada. Paul Martin is already our leader and there hasnt even been an election, our Prime Minsiter is holding the Cabinet ransom for a spot on the UN and wont leave until he gets it and until he gets his legacy.

What a fucken mess!
the liberals have no powerful opponent. as long as that occurs, power will run amok-no matter what party is in power.

the present attempt to unite the right in this nation is the best hope to provide a counter balance to the left. i am a registered liberal and i hope they get it done-for the ruling party to work best and avoid controversy, they need that balance. i was disappointed harris didn't choose to run-he would have been a good candidate and given them some power, a lot more than they'll get from harper if the union even occurs.

i agree their is a problem. but it is a problem that must be fixed from outside the liberal party.

i will be in attendance and am looking forward to the chretien tribute, bono, copps and martin speech.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:59 PM
The man's hung out with G.W. for crying out loud. Do you really thing he enjoys this type of thing? I doubt it. You may call it whoring out, but if he feels that it will help to make this world a little better for his grandchildren, then godspeed.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
True, and what the hell do I know about Canadian politics? Not much.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Old 11-05-2003, 12:35 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Oops! Sorry about the, uh, TRIPLE post!!! I just cleaned out the biggest Internet cache I've ever seen in my life.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:50 PM   #10
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
The man's hung out with G.W. for crying out loud. Do you really thing he enjoys this type of thing? I doubt it. You may call it whoring out, but if he feels that it will help to make this world a little better for his grandchildren, then godspeed.

My thoughts exactly. I know more than a few people were repulsed by him meeting with Bush but he's not trying to win a popularity contest...he's a smart man doing what he needs to do to be heard.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:24 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

He is a true humanitarian.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:05 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

My thoughts exactly. I know more than a few people were repulsed by him meeting with Bush but he's not trying to win a popularity contest...he's a smart man doing what he needs to do to be heard.
I don't think there's anything *wrong* with him going to the Liberal convention. It just struck me as a little unusual because it's a partisan event, which meeting with GWB, Frist, etc, etc is really not.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:14 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Yeah but he's not giving a speech supporting anyone. He's giving a speech about the needs in Africa.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:01 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:59 PM
This uniting the right in Canada is laughable. The Alliance is a xenophobic, right wing, borderline fundamentalist party which has no chance of making any sort of impact here in Ontario, and Ontario (along with Quebec) controls Canadian politics. The PC party has completely sold out, and has nothing to gain, and everything to lose here.

Bono met Paul Martin during the original Jubilee campaign; at the time, Martin was the Finance Minister. Bono was very impressed with him personally and spoke about it on numerous occasions later (including at Canadian concerts). This is nothing new. They have had a working/personal relationship for at least 3-4 years now. It's not as if Bono's suddenly whoring himself for money, or Paul Martin is begging for some street cred.

In any case, Martin will be our next Prime Minister. He is too far centre of left for me (and supports the idiotic Star Wars plan), but he will be our next PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:51 AM   #15
Refugee

I have no problem with Bono meeting with Martin behind closed doors and discussing progress on this issue. But what i do have a problem with is that he is going to a Liberal convention. It is to rein in the newe leader and say farwell (and dont let the door hit you on the way out) to Jean.

What Bono is doing is making a really not to ineresting convention into a hot ticket. Bono isnt making a constructive effort to talk alone with the people who can make this happen. He should be meeting with these people like he did with Bush, he should be meeting with foriegn affairs ministers and finance ministers instead of 'sucking up' to Martin.

Oh and Antrim, the conservatives are western Canada's only hope of EVER getting any recognition and voice. Western Canada is a nobody in Canadian politcs, even though BC has a huge tourism industry and Alberta is Canada's richest province. And i had to laugh at Kobi, i cant beleive you are looking forward to the tribute to Jean. The worst thing that has ever happened to Canadian Politics!