Bono got a little carried away.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreadsox - I said nothing about agreeing with everything he says! I'm talking about constant unecessary criticism&negativity! i thought the point of being here was that you were an actual fan?

I'm no blind worshipper actually either! I said he can take the piss out of himself&has a great sense of humour! Big deal! :huh:

I assume you did agree with me on the sense of humour he has
Sally? :wink:

Absolutely, susanp6! I wasn't trying to insinuate that you are a 'blind worshipper', I promise - I know you well enough by now to know that you're far too sensible. :wink:

Dreadsox said:
I will play the devil's advocate...mostly because I have friends who would be offended to see someone calling themselves....

YHWY

AS part of the Jewish tradition, the vowels were left out because even writing it was not allowed if I am not mistaken.

Hi Dread! How are ya doing you old man? :wink:

The vowels are left out because Hebrew has no vowels.

Jews (in writing) will commonly write out "G-d" for the reason you mentioned.

shart1780 said:
He was probably poking fun at himself. He has a huge ego either way though, and it annoys me.
Well, yeah... but I reckon that if I had been at the top for the best part of 25 years and my latest album had hit number one in about 40 countries so far, I'd be liking life a bit too! :yes:

Personally - and I freely admit that, of course, I don't know this for a fact - I think a lot of it is bluster. I think that, despite all he has achieved, Bono is fundamentally very insecure - as are most 'arrogant' people deep down. Look at the way he has been reaching out to his audience for all these years... Slane, after his dad's death, being a key example.

I also reckon that much of it is humour (frequently of the self-deprecating variety). I'm not saying that Bono doesn't have a considerable ego - but I think a lot of it is subject to misinterpretation.

That's my analysis of the human condition! :wink:

Cool Sally! :up:

No worries&it was dreadsox who implied they thought i was a "Blind worhipper", not you! I just thought you might have been totally disagreeing with me all of a sudden, but i see that you weren't! Glad we're ok with each other! :wink:

susanp6 said:

No worries&it was dreadsox who implied they thought i was a "Blind worhipper", not you! I just thought you might have been totally disagreeing with me all of a sudden, but i see that you weren't! Glad we're ok with each other! :wink:
:hug: Susan, you've been really supportive lately and I am so grateful to you for your kindess.

Dreadsox said:
I will play the devil's advocate...mostly because I have friends who would be offended to see someone calling themselves....

YHWY

AS part of the Jewish tradition, the vowels were left out because even writing it was not allowed if I am not mistaken.

So I can understand how writing a song using the word could raise some eyebrows.

He Who Must Not Be Named... like Lord Voldemort.

:ohmy: I'm getting the hell out of this thread now before you all start beatin g me with pointed sticks!!!

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
YHWY

Excellent example Dread.

This is a tradition that flows from the Third Commandment: "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." Exodus 20:7 NIV

or, from the Message translation:

"No using the name of GOD your God, in curses or silly banter; GOD won't put up with the irreverant use of his name."

To avoid breaking this commandment, Jews would not speak or write the name of God.

This is holy reverence for God.

Listen to television one evening, and you will see we have total disregard for this Commandment.

susanp6 said:
Dreadsox - I said nothing about agreeing with everything he says! I'm talking about constant unecessary criticism&negativity! i thought the point of being here was that you were an actual fan?

I disagree that I am somehow a lesser fan than you or anyone else for bringing it up...

sorry....

anitram said:

Hi Dread! How are ya doing you old man? :wink:

The vowels are left out because Hebrew has no vowels.

Jews (in writing) will commonly write out "G-d" for the reason you mentioned.

Its Fernando to you baby!!!!!!:dance: :cute: :heart:

susanp6 said:

No worries&it was dreadsox who implied they thought i was a "Blind worhipper", not you!

Interesting...

So somehow I am the one who was throwing the stone at you?

Your initial statement led me to believe you feel that by questioning Bono's actions I am a lesser fan....

But hey....its all about the spin....

Perhaps Bono erred and meant to refer to himself as "Little Lord Fauntleroy," or maybe he intended to seque the band into "Away In A Manger" with "the little lord Jesus lay down his sweet head."

~U2Alabama

With the whole YHWH thing....I believe that Jews were not supposed to have physical manifestations of God. The previous religions that were in the region were extremely idol-istic and Abraham himself had many idols in his home and so when God spoke to him, he/she/it told Abraham that no physical representations of God should exist because God transcends physical images. That's why they don't write GOD they write G-d and YHWH. But G-d and YHWH themselves are also physical representations of God and are (to some) also illegal. That being said, I don't think that u2 is blatantly disrespecting God by having a song called Yahweh. I think they are simply writing a song about God and so they use a name given to God as the title. The whole thought of U2 trying to be better than God or something like that is total crap.

i know it may go out of the main theme, but maybe we can discuss it, too.there's a problem in the song yahweh, actually it feels like a prayer, it feels like bono is searching the true god and that's ok, but there's a verse where he sings "this love is like a drop in the ocean", actually it sounds like a sort of reproach or incitement to make things better, but the love of god is an ocean, it's not a drop. the matter is that a truly christian holds on tightly to his faith, god promised he will bring his reign and only he is up to decide when this day must come, and we must follow him without doubting about his promises, that's what offends god. god doesn't need a spur, we must live following god's laws and we must put ourselves in his arms without fearing he would let us fall down. so, to me, "this love is like a drop in the ocean" sounds like a possible misbelieving in god's abilities to carry us to eternal salvation. it's not we who must spur god, we must spur ourselves and each other to walk with god

But the Bible is filled with reproach of God, cajoling, pleading, arguing, doubting. Bono is following good company.

Did not say he was. I said the Bible is filled with humans questioning, doubting, railing at God. Bono is not God, but he is certainly in the tradition of followers challenging God.

um, yes, bono was kidding.

bono is an artist; he is free to do whatever he wants, and you're free to call it blasphemy or that it offends god or that Bono's lyrics might (heaven forbid!) not be in perfect accordance with a conservative reading of scripture or that he's not a "true" christian (because there can only be one way, right?), and i'm free to think that's a really idiotic thought.

which i do.

Dreadsox - I was Merely saying that you would be mistaken for thinking that i'm blind to the fact that Bono is a human being&has faults! I fully realise this. I mean he's a crap driver (apparently) and can't cook nor dance! However, i stand by what i said that i really don't think Bono is being serious about it when he makes jokey comments about being jesus! He kids around a lot!

But now you come to mention it, if all you did was constantly criticise Bono, instead of being MORE supportive of him - how can you class yourself as ANY fan? That's the way i see it! That's me just saying that's what i thought being a fan of anyone was about?

Please, i don't mean to get personal or anything! Sorry if it sounds that way! It just happens to be my opinion!

susanp6 - you are entitled to your opinion.

It is paramount on everyone else to respect it or otherwise this forum does not become "Free Your Mind" but "Close Your Mind".

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:yes:

[Q]Dreadsox - I was Merely saying that you would be mistaken for thinking that i'm blind to the fact that Bono is a human being&has faults! I fully realise this. I mean he's a crap driver (apparently) and can't cook nor dance! However, i stand by what i said that i really don't think Bono is being serious about it when he makes jokey comments about being jesus! He kids around a lot![/Q]

He might have been joking....and you and I as fans may find it amusing, or we might also understand the humor in it because of the HOF speech.

Others may find it offensive due to religious reasons.

[Q]But now you come to mention it, if all you did was constantly criticise Bono, instead of being MORE supportive of him - how can you class yourself as ANY fan? That's the way i see it! That's me just saying that's what i thought being a fan of anyone was about? [/Q]

I am puzzled though and you have me at a disadvantage here.....

Are you saying "YOU" as in general population of people?
Are you saying "You" Dreadsox in the above statement?

Do you know me as a person, as to the cuases I work for/towards to help make the world a better place enough to judge me or anyone else?

I fail to understand WHY or HOW you can jump to the conclusion that someone with valid religious reasons for not liking what he did to equal someone NOT supportive of causes that interest Bono.

[Q]Please, i don't mean to get personal or anything! Sorry if it sounds that way! It just happens to be my opinion![/Q]

My opinion is we need an air freshener in here.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
[Q]Dreadsox - I was Merely saying that you would be mistaken for thinking that i'm blind to the fact that Bono is a human being&has faults! I fully realise this. I mean he's a crap driver (apparently) and can't cook nor dance! However, i stand by what i said that i really don't think Bono is being serious about it when he makes jokey comments about being jesus! He kids around a lot![/Q]

He might have been joking....and you and I as fans may find it amusing, or we might also understand the humor in it because of the HOF speech.

Others may find it offensive due to religious reasons.

[Q]But now you come to mention it, if all you did was constantly criticise Bono, instead of being MORE supportive of him - how can you class yourself as ANY fan? That's the way i see it! That's me just saying that's what i thought being a fan of anyone was about? [/Q]

I am puzzled though and you have me at a disadvantage here.....

Are you saying "YOU" as in general population of people?
Are you saying "You" Dreadsox in the above statement?

Do you know me as a person, as to the cuases I work for/towards to help make the world a better place enough to judge me or anyone else?

I fail to understand WHY or HOW you can jump to the conclusion that someone with valid religious reasons for not liking what he did to equal someone NOT supportive of causes that interest Bono.

[Q]Please, i don't mean to get personal or anything! Sorry if it sounds that way! It just happens to be my opinion![/Q]

Dread, no disrespect to you or your opinions, but I think susanp6 gets the point.

My opinion is we need an air freshener in here.
That's just rude and uncalled for. :eyebrow:She said she didn't mean to offend you or anybody else.

Any chance that we could get this thread back on topic at some point this century and play nice like good children??????

Ok, it seems to me that everyone's tone needs to be a bit more respectful. The thread's quite silly at the moment, and if everyone keeps lecturing/patronising/berating each other, I'm just going to close it down, which is boring.

Ant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom