Bono got a little carried away..... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Re: Bono got a little carried away.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Calling himself "the little lord Jesus" as he was leaving the stage at the end of 40?

I think he is the equivalent of a modern day prophet for sure....

But this really turns people off when he goes over the top.

Thoughts?
I was at this show. He said it with a chuckle.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:15 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Am I the only one who has friends that are not big on the band because of Bono's slightly inflated ego?
My Mum hates U2 because of Bono. I've never liked him really either, he was always my least favourite U2 member, I find him really irritating (sorry).

Old 03-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 PM
I was there and didn't even catch him saying that thanks to the crappiest acoustics I've ever experienced in an arena (note to self: never attend another opening show, and never attend any show at the SD arena again). But I would agree that it sounds like classic Bono self-deprecating humour, just like in "One" when he sings "Did you come here to play Jesus? I did." A smirk usually accompanies that.

The endearing thing about Bono's enormous ego is that (1) he is the first to admit it and (2) it is balanced by an equally enormous heart.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #34
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:44 PM
Re: Re: Bono got a little carried away.....

Quote:
Originally posted by angel_of_L.A.

I was at this show. He said it with a chuckle.

Indeed he did. Nothing to get worked up about IMO.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #35
War Child

Local Time: 01:44 AM
I just hope he doesn't call himself that during every show. He will make a lot of enemies out of people that should be his friends. I would really be turned off by the comment if I hadn't read tons of interviews where Bono's true faith is shown. Calling himself 'the little lord Jesus' is bound to be misinterpreted by pretty much everyone (not just Christians), so I don't see the point in saying it.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

The endearing thing about Bono's enormous ego is that (1) he is the first to admit it and (2) it is balanced by an equally enormous heart.
Awesome way of putting it!
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #37
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by ruffian

It was clearly a joke, and a reference to Springsteen's mention of his messiah complex in the HOF induction speech.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

My Mum hates U2 because of Bono. I've never liked him really either, he was always my least favourite U2 member, I find him really irritating (sorry).
I used to find him very irritating.

I learned to look past the noise and the bombast to realise that he is a fundamentally good man, pushing hard for what he believes is right. Revelling in his own insecurities and basking in his own faults, while simultaneously learning to deal with who he is deep down... and trying to do the best he can, in some pretty fucked up circumstances.

Same as the rest of us. The difference is, he's doing it under public scrutiny and has been for the best part of 25 years.

Quote:

Well said.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #38
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
um, a little more context would be helpful....
Are you referring to deep's post?

Christ you know it ain't easy/You know how hard it can be/The way things are going/They gonna crucify me (The Ballad of John & Yoko)

This isn't the first time Bono's jokingly referred to himself as God. Remember his wry characterization of U2 as 'insufferable little Jesuses' during the JT/R&H period? It's mostly a self-effacing way of acknowledging: his own megalomaniac tendencies; the band's "mild'n'green'n'squeaky-clean" image straitjacket; and maybe also the tendency of some fans to go overboard in their veneration of U2.

Or maybe he just meant he was tired and in need of a place to lay down his sweet head...

Have you come here to play Jesus?/I did -- Bono, ad-libbing during 'One' at a ZooTV show (from the 'Interference' video).
Old 03-30-2005, 03:39 PM   #39
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 05:44 PM
Quote:
I was there and didn't even catch him saying that thanks to the crappiest acoustics I've ever experienced in an arena.
i didn't hear it either.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Bono does have a king-sized ego, but I love him to pieces anyway. I think I'd hate him if he were perfect, he'd be a complete bore and pretty damned irritating.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:58 PM   #41
New Yorker

Yep. Irritating as he may sometimes be (goddam sunglasses ), he's certainly interesting, undeniably talented and - it would appear - thoroughly good at heart.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

I certainly am not turned off by Bono in the slightest!

He's a wonderful, caring, genuine&talented intelligent man.

I'm sure most people have an ego to a certain extent and i think that considering that Bono is meant to have this HUGE ego, he remains to be very humble and down to earth it would appear to me! I just can't understand how ANYONE can hate or dislike this utterly gifted human being!

We are indeed very lucky to have Bono alive and well on this planet
Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #43
War Child

Let me just say once more that I hope he does not get in a habit of saying that. Besides the blasphemy aspect, it just sounds pyschotic. At least on the mp3 it does.

I thought the comment during One was understandable, it even fits the context of the song. I also see a good bit of humility in Bono. For example, "Some people have way to much confidence baby", the lyrics of Yahweh, and 'Bono the Rat' in the deluxe booklet. That's why I do not consider him an ego-maniac. I just wish he wouldn't give people such easy fodder.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #44
The Fly

You can hear him laugh as he says it on the bootleg. The first person to rip apart his own ego is himself - in almost every article/interview/etc., he rips apart his own persona.

Good Lord - I fear the reaction to this community had they been around when John Lennon called the Beatles 'bigger than Jesus.' Sarcasm folks, sarcasm.

Before we label throw labels at him like 'blasphemer', take a step back into the 21st century and relax.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 04:44 AM
he probably shouldnt say things like that in the US. they switched from macphisto to mirrorball man for a reason in Zoo Tv