Black Box for Teenage Drivers - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2003, 06:30 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Black Box for Teenage Drivers

A device to warn young drivers when they exceed top speed limits. Soon, an add-on to map where they go.

Does the device make more consciensous drivers, or is the threat to privacy too great?

And do you know if your car already has a data recorder?

From CNN

Old 09-11-2003, 06:58 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:07 AM
http://www.newsday.com/news/printedi...y-linews-print

http://www.msnbc.com/local/NTLI/88486.asp

i work for the camp that this bus was leaving from, and i was down at the scene within minutes of the accident... the driver of the car, 17 years old, has since died. the girl that was medivaced to the hospital in critical is doing fine... broken jaw, will need more surgery, but nothing life threatening.

so to conclude... you're damn right they should put these things in teenage drver's cars.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:59 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
i agree with having this installed.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think it's fine as long as the only person who can access the information in the box is the owner of the car. I'm sure my parents would love to have one of those in my sister's car.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:34 PM   #5
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Good idea
Old 09-11-2003, 08:42 PM   #6
War Child

Definately a good idea...I have 2 teenage drivers...Love to know where they've been
Old 09-11-2003, 08:46 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

At 16 I was a law breaking, wreckless driver. This device might have saved my life.

Each time I got behind the wheel it was a roll of the dice.

At 21 I changed my driving and have been a very responsible driver ever since.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:00 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:07 AM
As a retired motorcycle officer, most of my clients were teens..20 to 25 mph over the speed limit was the norm; I scraped many a wreck of the streets of the small town where I worked..

Right now, there is a device that can be hooked to your engine's computer post-accident to determine the speed of that vehicle in its last moments....no more telling the officer you were doing 35; Big Brother can find out you were going closer to 60...ps...we know what wreckage at 35 mph looks like, its less than 40 and 50 and 60 mph...crumpled metal does not lie ...

be safe out there! and pleeze, pull over to use that cellphone!
Old 09-12-2003, 11:10 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:07 AM
It's a good idea. It'll save lives.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:43 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:07 AM
It is a stupid idea,...are there now adult drivers who are speeding ? And why should we know where our children where they are all the time. This world is turning into a place where people don`t behave in a proper way because they want to but because they are under control,...
Old 09-12-2003, 06:54 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

if you had an out of control teenagers who you were always worrying yourself sick about, you would probably want one too Rono. I see all the stress that my parents go through because of my sister. My parents would never have put one on my car, because i'm responsible and have common sense.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:14 PM   #12
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
It is a stupid idea,...are there now adult drivers who are speeding ? And why should we know where our children where they are all the time. This world is turning into a place where people don`t behave in a proper way because they want to but because they are under control,...

I don't know how it is where you are Rono but in California at least, parents have to sign something saying that THEY are financially responsible for any damages their children do while driving a car...that's a huge incentive for me to want to know what my kids are doing while they are out driving around.

Kids have been driving recklessly since cars were invented...it has nothing to do with control or being forced into proper behavior. Teenagers (some of them) take risks and use bad judgement and behind the wheel of a car is no place for that kind of behavior. My kids have already lost one friend due to reckless driving..anything parents can do to make sure their kids are safe drivers is okay by me.

I shudder when I think about the way my friends drove when I was a teenager...I'm actually lucky to be alive. Thinking back, I kind of wish this device was around back then.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 PM   #13
Refugee

This is stupid, makes no sense.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:51 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

I don't know how it is where you are Rono but in California at least, parents have to sign something saying that THEY are financially responsible for any damages their children do while driving a car...that's a huge incentive for me to want to know what my kids are doing while they are out driving around.

Kids have been driving recklessly since cars were invented...it has nothing to do with control or being forced into proper behavior. Teenagers (some of them) take risks and use bad judgement and behind the wheel of a car is no place for that kind of behavior. My kids have already lost one friend due to reckless driving..anything parents can do to make sure their kids are safe drivers is okay by me.

I shudder when I think about the way my friends drove when I was a teenager...I'm actually lucky to be alive. Thinking back, I kind of wish this device was around back then.
When are you allowed to drive a car and what is the age when parents are not financially responsible for the damages for thier kids ?
Old 09-13-2003, 01:15 PM   #15
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
When are you allowed to drive a car and what is the age when parents are not financially responsible for the damages for thier kids ?

In California, you can start driving a car at age 15 1/2...but only with a licensed driver over the age of 25 in the car at all times.

At 16, you can drive without an adult present but for the first 6 months, you can't carry any passengers under the age of 21 and you can't drive between midnight and 5 a.m.

After that 6 month period is over, you are free to drive at anytime with any passengers you like.

And parents are financially responsible until the age of 18.