Barbara Bush - Please stick a SOCK in your mouth!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iskra said:
I hope enough poor and underpriveleged get moved to Texas and they vote enough to turn the state blue!

we can only hope... Hopefully they will learn how to vote first and it will be uniform, and hopefully the machines won't be owned by a member/supporter of the Republican party. See Ohio... :shifty:

i think it's sad when we're all here taking pot-shots at a woman's mis spoken words, when with the same alloted time that we burnt here doing this, we coulda used our time more productively.

peace,
db9

diamond said:
i think it's sad when we're all here taking pot-shots at a woman's mis spoken words, when with the same alloted time that we burnt here doing this, we coulda used our time more productively.

peace,
db9

The words were not mis spoken. Listen to the audio, or the countless other examples of her "beautiful mind". Let's not be delusional.

diamond said:

peace,
db9

:huh:

I'll just echo everyone else here and say I don't believe she mis-spoke. Can you explain what you think she intended to say?

it's not merely a case of misspoken words diamond, maybe you could consider the viewpoint she has that would allow her to make an incredibly ignorant statement like that..and like others have said, the other statements she has made in the past and present

I think perhaps time IS well spent talking about Mrs. Bush and plenty of others who have her mindset

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think perhaps time IS well spent talking about Mrs. Bush and plenty of others who have her mindset

I sincerely hope we do that.

I think we get too much assumption of what her mindset is, where her heart is, and run with it from there.

It seems that Diamonds mere suggestion that the words were "mis spoken" is not up for discussion.

FYM has passed its judgment: Barbara Bush is an evil, uncaring, wealthy snob.

Now, what is her punishment?

nbcrusader said:
It seems that Diamonds mere suggestion that the words were "mis spoken" is not up for discussion.

Sure it is. I asked him why he believes she mis-spoke and what he believes she intended to say. Hopefully he'll reply and we'll discuss whether the idea that she mis-spoke is credible or not.

What do you think? Did she mis-speak or are we interpreting her comments correctly?

I don't think she's evil, I do think she's completely out of touch w/ what it's like to live a a normal, average life and struggle day to day. Or a life of poverty and hardship. Has she ever done that? Not that I know of

I do think that affects her mindset-yes people are human and make mistakes and misspeak, but I don't think that is the case in this instance. Has she explained her comment? Maybe she will and we can learn more.

I also think much of the way she speaks has to do w/ her obsession w/ defending her son and what she seems to think is his perfection

i judge the lady by her actions, she is there helping the less fortunate, while some choose to critique her verbiage and her intentions there of.

there are ppl dying as we type and they're is a larger task at hand.

no time for race baiting, agenda oriented diatribes.
it's time we unite as neighbors, brothers and sisters and children of our Creator to help and and love one another thru this.

we can split hairs later, not now.

db9

My guess is that between her travels as First Lady and personal charitable work, she is far more compassionate that she appeared on camera.

Maybe if we heard her private comments to the refugees, we would have a different picture.

nbcrusader said:

I sincerely hope we do that.

I think we get too much assumption of what her mindset is, where her heart is, and run with it from there.

FYM has passed its judgment: Barbara Bush is an evil, uncaring, wealthy snob.

Now, what is her punishment?
Wow there's been a lot of accusations being thrown upon the majority of FYM here recently... FYM has done this, FYM has ignored this, FYM has done that...

Many here have shown and given examples of the Bush family's comments and actions towards those that are far from their family stature. The discussion is occuring. Diamond's suggestion may not be up for discussion because he offers his biased opionion of a member to a family which he worships. Nothing else, just his opinion...unless there's something else brought in, I see no discussion.

diamond said:
i judge the lady by her actions, she is there helping the less fortunate, while some choose to critique her verbiage and her intentions there of.

Why shouldn't we criticise her comments? I believe that implying that it's less of a tragedy for a poor person to lose everything than for a rich person to lose everything is wrong. If someone says that then I reserve the right to criticise them.

Again, you stated that you believe she mis-spoke -- could you clarify why you believe that and what you believe she intended to say.

I guess then none of us should be anywhere near the internet since we should all be spending every second of our time finding ways to help people in New Orleans.

:huh:

Having a discussion about this on an internet message board isn't in any way taking away from the "larger tast" you speak of and I don't see any reason that we should avoid debating this issue when it's one of the biggest stories in the news at the moment.

nbcrusader said:
My guess is that between her travels as First Lady and personal charitable work, she is far more compassionate that she appeared on camera.

Maybe if we heard her private comments to the refugees, we would have a different picture.

So you do believe she mis-spoke? Or you don't?

financeguy said:
Not to defend her, but they are a privileged family, it is genuinely difficult for people who have always known privilege to understand life on the other side of the fence. Silly comments, but she's not a political figure in her own right.

That's not entirely true that she is not a political figure as she weighed in heavily on both her husband's and son's campaigning. At some point even the "priviledged" should just shut their F***ing mouth.

diamond said:

peace,
db9

i see.

did Marie Antoinette misspeak?

don't kid yourselves. Barbara Bush has been in the public spotlight for much of her life, has married a president and given birth to one, and she knows exactly what happens when words, misspoken or not, are said on television -- they are instantly archived. it goes with the territory. she knows this, and if she misspeaks, or actually speaks honestly (which i think is the case here ... as was, i think, the case with Trent Lott, where we got a rare glimpse of non-scripted honesty out of the mouth of a politician), then it's on the record.

no sympathy. you live and die by your words.

and if she was even a little bit aware of how callous her comments were, then she has every opportunity as a public figure to retract her comments.

i await that moment.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Wow there's been a lot of accusations being thrown upon the majority of FYM here recently... FYM has done this, FYM has ignored this, FYM has done that...

Agreed.

For all the calls for thoughtful discussion, to continually harp on FYM itself does not help the situation at all.

diamond said:

no time for race baiting, agenda oriented diatribes.
it's time we unite as neighbors, brothers and sisters and children of our Creator to help and and love one another thru this.

we can split hairs later, not now.

db9

diamond, I don't argue that the lady has done many good things. She has supported the anti-illiteracy campaign, which is important to me. That's why I went to work in a library. We're simply citicizing one inappropriate remark she made. No one's perfect. It's one remark we don't like, and I think since she is a public figure we're entitled to criticize it.

nbcrusader said:

But my question was whether you were willing to live by this standard.

if i were in public life, i'd have to.

the question, as you frame it, is moot to the issue discussed.

There are some distinctions between public/private life.

And we are engaged in a public discussion.

And I know that we do not like people to suggest standards to which they will not live themselves.

Back
Top Bottom