Australia May Ban Smoking in Cars... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2006, 07:12 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


What if I want to rape or murder someone in the privacy of my own car or house? It's my own business?

In other words, at what point does it become illegal to do something in private as well as in public? If you're going to say at the point where it infringes upon someone else (i.e. rape or murder), then it'd be wise to consider that smoking could affect other people who live in the house (personally, a smoky environment gives me asthma).
The no-harm principle, rape and murder are a gross violations of individual rights: individual freedom does not extend to violation of another persons freedoms.

Smoking outdoors and inside your car (your property) however does not harm other people; they can elect to simply walk away, get out of the car or politely ask the person to stop smoking.

Having the government suspend liberties that you personally can live without is a very unsound principle.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 03-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
I know we don't have a national health care system here in the U.S., but it still annoys me to think that my tax dollars are going to cover someone's medical bills(people who don't have insurance)--when the causes of those bills are 100 percent preventable.
We could extend this to a whole range of other scenarios:

(1) Deny publicly funded health care to those who become ill as a result of bad diet or excessive fast food consumption.

(2) Deny publicly funded health care to those who sustain injuries due to participation in risky sports.

(3) Deny publicly funded health care to those who contract skin cancer as a result of taking inadeqaute precautions in the sun.

Is this a road we want to go down?
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 03-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #18
Refugee
 
ImOuttaControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,340
Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy


We could extend this to a whole range of other scenarios:

(1) Deny publicly funded health care to those who become ill as a result of bad diet or excessive fast food consumption.

(2) Deny publicly funded health care to those who sustain injuries due to participation in risky sports.

(3) Deny publicly funded health care to those who contract skin cancer as a result of taking inadeqaute precautions in the sun.

Is this a road we want to go down?
Huge difference.

We eat food to survive. Sometimes people eat things they aren't supposed to and sometimes become addicted. I do agree that government needs to do something about the obesity epidemic, but I'm not sure what.

Sports overall increase health--here in the states if you do extremely risky stuff you do have to pay extra for insurance.

Skin cancer from the sun--well there's nothing we can do about the sun....

But we CAN do something about smoking. There is absolutely no positives we can get from smoking. Everybody knows you get cancer from smoking. It's not natural and it's not necessary. So that's why I say people who do something the KNOW is going to make them extremely sick or die shouldn't burden us with their medical bills.

I do see your point whereas you can and should worry about the "slippery slope," but the information is out there on smoking; I'm not saying people couldn't do it but I am saying they should have to accept the consequences.
__________________
ImOuttaControl is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #19
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 167
Local Time: 10:39 PM
It's a touchy subject on where the government crosses the line & infringes on your human rights, the so called "Nanny State".

Your pretty much not entitled to do anything in Ireland anymore but as there is absolutely no law enforcement it makes no difference.

I saw a policeman once.... when I was a kid.
__________________
RABIDLAMB is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #20
War Child
 
MsGiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 905
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


What if I want to rape or murder someone in the privacy of my own car or house? It's my own business?

In other words, at what point does it become illegal to do something in private as well as in public? If you're going to say at the point where it infringes upon someone else (i.e. rape or murder), then it'd be wise to consider that smoking could affect other people who live in the house (personally, a smoky environment gives me asthma).
rape is a crime - smoking isn't (unless of course you're in Australia)
__________________
MsGiggles is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Yes of course smoking is morally equivalent to rape and murder, why did that not occur to me before now? Just the sort of overbearing nonsense that makes me all but tune out of current affairs entirely.

Actually I doubt 'Australia' is about to ban anything en masse any more than most of the other countries that are similar to us (not just yet, anyway). Still, banning things is a great way to make criminals out of otherwise unexceptional people.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
MissVelvetDress_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Posts: 25,776
Local Time: 05:39 PM
So where can you smoke?

Why don't they just ban the sell of cigarettes.
__________________
MissVelvetDress_75 is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #23
War Child
 
MsGiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 905
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Yes of course smoking is morally equivalent to rape and murder, why did that not occur to me before now? Just the sort of overbearing nonsense that makes me all but tune out of current affairs entirely.
So you're saying Bono (since we're on a U2 board here) is morally as bad as a rapist just because he smokes????

I agree with MissVelvetDress - ban the cigarettes
__________________
MsGiggles is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
yertle-the-turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: York, UK and Singapore
Posts: 11,750
Local Time: 06:39 AM
But if you ban the ciggies, you'll lose all that revenue from taxation.
__________________
yertle-the-turtle is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #25
Refugee
 
fly so high!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St Andrews NSW Australia
Posts: 1,835
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Another good reason for Aussies to Quit! Taxes on cigarettes account for 68.9 per cent of the total cost of cigarettes!!!
__________________
fly so high! is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 04:40 PM   #26
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Ban the fags!

Two of Hitler's earliest moves and we all know what happened to him in the end.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsGiggles


So you're saying Bono (since we're on a U2 board here) is morally as bad as a rapist just because he smokes????

I agree with MissVelvetDress - ban the cigarettes
No, I'm not saying that. I'm paraphrasing previous arguments from this thread in a tone of incredulous despair.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 10:59 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
Ban the fags!

Two of Hitler's earliest moves and we all know what happened to him in the end.

Do we ever learn anything from the past?
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #29
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

Do we ever learn anything from the past?
Nope. Makes it that much easier to predict the future though.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy


Nope. Makes it that much easier to predict the future though.

a parodox i guess we are in

>>>party on
__________________

__________________
the iron horse is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com