Ask the native Dubliner..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
do you ever feel as if non-Irish sometimes create elaborate fantasies of what the Irish are like and what Ireland is -- i.e., there's so much romance surrounding the country (emerald isle, warrior poets, writers, leprachauns, history of unjust oppression) -- that it becomes almost patronizing?

Irvine511 said:
do you ever feel as if non-Irish sometimes create elaborate fantasies of what the Irish are like and what Ireland is -- i.e., there's so much romance surrounding the country (emerald isle, warrior poets, writers, leprachauns, history of unjust oppression) -- that it becomes almost patronizing?

Well, yes, certainly. But in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. No-one could seriously argue that the Irish are an oppressed race at this point in history.

I suppose what would worry me slightly is that people would have some pre-conceived notion along the lines you've indicated, and then when they get to Ireland are probably disappointed by the crass materalism has come into play recent years, at least in Dublin and some of the other cities.

financeguy said:

Well, yes, certainly. But in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. No-one could seriously argue that the Irish are an oppressed race at this point in history.

I suppose what would worry me slightly is that people would have some pre-conceived notion along the lines you've indicated, and then when they get to Ireland are probably disappointed by the crass materalism has come into play recent years, at least in Dublin and some of the other cities.

I agree. Also, although some people might find it patronizing - I think the nation loves the attention and it gives us a chance to feel superior (in that people are bothering to have notions about us at all), which as FG mentioned is the new mental state!

^that would give me great cause to hate him:wink:

Opinion on Bono and U2 is as ever love/hate kinda thing. I know a lot of people criticise him by saying 'why does he not do more work for his own country'....

...haha some of my friends tried to say he wasn't Irish anymore.....

Um not sure how ordinary Dubliners perceive him or U2 though.

financeguy said:

First Question: If we are including poets I would say Yeats, if not then probably Myles Na Gopleen aka Flann O'Brien.

Yeats, I've read. Tell me about the other.

A_Wanderer said:
How have land prices in Dublin changed over the last few years?

Well, I can't find stats on land prices but I know that land prices, particularly for development land have increased enormously and speculators or those lucky enough to inherit land have made large sums of money.

There isn't much land available for building purposes in Dublin, partly due to the Irish aversion to high rise buildings (There are very few buildings over 10 stories in Dublin) so what little is left is very valuabe.

Recent house price survey here:

http://www.finfacts.ie/biz10/irelandhouseprices.htm

Last edited:
Halifax said:
What's the prevailing opinion in Ireland on Bono and U2 in general?

I find that the generation that grew up with u2's music are largely well disposed to them (25-50 year olds, approximately), younger and older people less so.

In general people like the music but many get irritated at some of Bono's loftier pronoucements.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Is it true that Bono owns half Dublin?

Not really. He owns a joint share in a small but prestigious hotel with the Edge and I'd assume he has other property investments, but I don't think he is a large scale property investor.

Then would you recommend At Swim-Two-Birds? The description seems offbeat enough to interest me.

My question isn't necessarily just for a "Dubliner" but for slang-isms--I've been reading quite a few female English/Irish writers and some of the terms are confusing; (I could look this up, but am too lazy) how does a "stone" compare to pounds (in weight)?? There are others, but can't recall off the top of my head!

3 questions, 1. whos the most famous person in ireland and 2. has Australian Prime minister John Howards visit to ireland had much news coverage/impact. and finally who would win an irish presidential election
Bono
The Edge
Larry Mullen Jr.
Adam Clayton

zepher25 said:
3 questions, 1. whos the most famous person in ireland and 2. has Australian Prime minister John Howards visit to ireland had much news coverage/impact. and finally who would win an irish presidential election
Bono
The Edge
Larry Mullen Jr.
Adam Clayton

1) Bono

2) Yes a fair bit as it the first such visit by an Australian PM in over a decade

3) Edge

4EVRU2 said:
My question isn't necessarily just for a "Dubliner" but for slang-isms--I've been reading quite a few female English/Irish writers and some of the terms are confusing; (I could look this up, but am too lazy) how does a "stone" compare to pounds (in weight)?? There are others, but can't recall off the top of my head!

Stone is not a slangism, it is a unit of weight measurement. Can't remember what it equates to in pounds.

Saoirse is pronounced sear-sha.

Irish words and names have whacked pronounciation....my Irish is atrocious:wink:

YAY, id must say id rather see Edge as a world leader than bono, i have an inkling that bono would focus on foreign aid just a lil too much. and by the way John Howard was critisised for going to ireland down here, people say he has no business there and his trip which cost aussie taxpayers 600k was just a 'farewell' tour, he got tons of pomp in washington.

again vote 1 for President Dave Evans in ireland!

^ the Irish President is just a head of state figure with no real power....the Taoiseach (Irish Prime Minister) and the Dail (Irish parliament) deal with policy...so no Bono wouldn't be able to go nuts on foreign aid if he became the Irish president:p

are irish sterotypes in any way true ie. Drunks and fights, have you ever seen a leprachurn?, and do people in dublin mostly speak english or is irish/gaelic more common?

zepher25 said:
are irish sterotypes in any way true ie. Drunks and fights, have you ever seen a leprachurn?, and do people in dublin mostly speak english or is irish/gaelic more common?

No, we do have the highest rate of alcoholism in Europe though, I think. Drinking culture I would say is pretty on par with English drinking culture, but alcoholism is higher here. We do get sucked into our own stereotype at times with the tourist industry, who promote all the really twee aspects of Ireland catering probably to American and other tourists conceptions of Ireland.

No I don't think anyone has seen a leprechaun and the image of a leprechaun is stereotyped as much as anything else....they were originally represented (right up to the early 20th century) as tiny old men in red coats, who were cobblers or shoemakers, they lived alone and not in groups and were antisocial as such.

I've seen a faerie ring though:p And there are always some brilliant ghost stories in Ireland anywhere you live, banshees are frightening:yikes:

I like to think there is something to the old myths.

English is the main language in Ireland...I believe the number of people who can speak Irish is increasing though. There are the Gaeltacht areas of Ireland though which are fully Irish speaking areas of the country and they are mostly in the west of Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom