Ask a Witch - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 08:08 PM

Hi!

I'm familiar with spells.......do you have a special Bono spell?

carol
wizard2c

Old 04-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:08 PM
I was hoping that some of the Christians might apologise for the witch-burnings. Looks like someone on the moral high ground can't apologise for anything.

At least Jan Pavel II (RIP) apologised for some of the past misdeeds of the Catholic Church.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #63
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
You are certainly entitled to your beliefs, but just know that if you're trying to lump Christianity in with other religions, it just won't work, simply by virtue of the fact that Christ himself made claims to being the only way to God.
I'm loving the thread. The Christians and the Pagans get it together on a U2 site. How beautiful is that!!!
Well, as it stands, I'm not "lumping" anything with anything that wasn't already interconnected long before our feeble interpretations tried to make sense of the great mystery that is all things.
Your Jesus is in fact a revision of Dionysus and Osiris and other pagan gods, but that does not trouble me, because as long as we look at what your Jesus actually said and did, it leaves very little to debate and so much to do.
Why fetishize the exclusivity of Christ's divinity at the same time so many Christians ignore his message to do justice by feeding the poor and healing the sick?
Why get stuck in the semantics when it's possible to live outside the margins of human reilgion in boundless love and humility . . . .
love, Anu
Old 04-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 PM
To the questions at the end....
Old 04-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I was hoping that some of the Christians might apologise for the witch-burnings. Looks like someone on the moral high ground can't apologise for anything.

At least Jan Pavel II (RIP) apologised for some of the past misdeeds of the Catholic Church.
Dude, I didn't burn any witches. I never have. I never will. Why should I apologize for the sins of people hundreds of years before me?

Maybe I should ask every witch in this thread to apoligize for what one witch did to a Christian friend of mine back in the late 80s.

Get the point?
Old 04-08-2005, 07:35 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Has a lot to do with it, in my view. In you proclaim a religion as fundamentally superior, what do you think that can lead to?
The "witches" weren't burned because Christians believe that Christ is the only way to God. They were burned because some people thought they were practicing evil magic.

Besides, I didn't originally make the claim of exclusivity. Christ did. What kind of Christian would I be if I didn't even believe the claims of my own God?

Quote:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
It's called faith. Every religious belief and many scientific theories are built on faith. Not to say that there is no evidence at all, but if you're looking for 100% proof, you won't find it til you pass on.

Quote:
[B]As no religion as provided such evidence, how can it be claimed that Christianity (or any other religion) holds the only path to God? In my view, such a claim is over the top.]
I believe that Christ is the only way to God because Christ said so. Christ is the God of my faith, so of course, I believe what he said. Why is it hard for you to imagine that followers of a religious faith might actually believe the words of their religion's God?

Quote:
As regards your point about there being only one Christianity, why is it there are so many different churches with different ideas/dogmas within Christianity?
A Christian is someone who is a born again believer in and follower of Christ. That is the basic foundation that makes Christianity one big family, "the church". Within Christianity, as in every family, there are differences of opinions on minor and sometimes not so minor issues, such as talking in tongues, healing, etc. But that's all icing on the cake. The real meat and potatos of Christianity is shared by all Christians; they are worshippers and followers of Jesus Christ.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:08 PM
tsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Old 04-09-2005, 03:48 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

I'm slightly of a pagan bent (especially animism). Sort of an extension of U2Kitten's answer: are there any portrals of witches/pagans in popular culture that you find accurate?
Old 04-09-2005, 06:22 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Have you ever read Carl Jung? He was into alot of pagan stuff.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:30 AM   #70
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

The person who started the thread brought up Christianity first, saying

"I get along with beliefs and non-beliefs of all kinds, just as long as your not a bible thumper!!!"

So, the first "intolerant" statement came from the thread starter herself.

I am truly sorry if by using the term "bible thumper" I offended anyone. I was trying to make light of the fact that I was open to discussing theology with anyone, regardless of their viewpoints, as long as it was done respectfully. I suppose I should have said that instead- but my intent was to lightly "head off at the pass" any attacking or name calling. That I did this by name calling-however lightly intended- was a poor choice and I am sorry for that. I truly was just wanting to find other U2 fans with similar beliefs and lifestyles, and introduce myself a little via this thread. And maybe make people think a little outside their comfort zone with regards to who constitutes a long time U2 listener....
Old 04-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #71
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

Is truth more of a fashion thing, or something solid for everyone to hold on to?
The concept of heaven and hell might not be your cup of tea, but what if it's not up to you to decide what happens after you die?

I'm just throwing this out for discussion. Thanks for your reply and, Anu, thanks for yours.
Okay, deep breath here before I respond. I am not sure even where to begin... Actually I am not even going to begin. I think that if we want to talk about christian theology that we should do it on another thread. And I will be happy to give my opinion there should I feel like it. I know that you asked this question out of curiousity and with respect, coemgen, and I am not disregarding your question. I just feel, after reading several post after your question appeared, that it might derail the intent of this thread. I am a witch. I can answer questions about that. Heaven? Hell? the rapture? Not so much... I am sure someone could do better.

"Let the beauty we love be what we do
There are hundreds of ways to kneel
and kiss the ground." -Rumi (12th c. sufi mystic)
Old 04-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #72
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Have you ever read Carl Jung? He was into alot of pagan stuff.
Love Jung! I am a therapist and artist, so alot of his work really speaks to my soul. Did you know it was one of his clients that founded AA? Good old Carl believed that addictions were caused by the clients lack of relationship with God, higher power, whatever. Through many years of anylasis with Jung, one of his clients came up with AA. I think that is cool.
I also love the story of how he "dreamed" his theory of the collective unconcious...really amazing. -Jennifer
Old 04-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #73
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
are there any portrals of witches/pagans in popular culture that you find accurate?
Well, I just love Buffy the vampire slayer, and the character of Willow. But mostly that has to do with my comic book obsession! I really liked Willow on that show, esp. toward the end when she lost her lover and got too deep into dark magic and had to work her way back out of that. Yeah, it was sci-fi, but also felt really human to me.
Most popular culture is what sells. And that would be sensationalistic tales of magic and power. I don't think any witch I know would have a life that would make a long running t.v. show. Well, maybe one or two...but it would have to be on HBO! Magic is real, we all have it, and applied properly, IT WORKS. Magic is human will married to intention. Ahh, when you get those things aligned you can really cook. But it is not easy to find your true will and not easy to gain the kind of focus required. It takes practice and skill. That's why it's a craft.

-Blessings, Jennifer
Old 04-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #74
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

TinyBubbles, thanks for your reply. So spells (and forgive me if I sound ignorant or rude, cause I just truly don't know) aren't that stereotype of mixing potions and whatnot or is that only in certain circumstances?
Some people would say yes. I like to give a wider view just because I am personally against those books that tell one to go out and by 80 different herbs and oils and chant certain words to get what you want. It's a little like telling a person who wants to learn to paint to go buy a paint-by-numbers kit and he will be just fine. Silly, right? And in magic, sometimes dangerous. If you begin by understanding the foundations of the craft, then you can begin to make your own spells and structure them accordingly. Or structure them whimsically, or whatever.
I will say that certain scents, oils, colors, symbols, etc. resonate with certain energies. So many times these things are employed in spells to awaken the playfull part of our spirit to the thing we are trying to achieve.
Example: I like to wash my bed sheets in a lavendar scent because it is relaxing and calming. I do not think I would want to wash them in hot pepper scent or shrimp flavor. I could take this information and expand on it perhaps using lavendar, candles, and calling on a calming Goddess to bring me peacefull dreams or a good night's rest.
Hope this helps! -Jennifer
Old 04-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #75
The Fly

wink Re: reply

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard2c
Hi!

I'm familiar with spells.......do you have a special Bono spell?

carol
wizard2c
Never mess with a Shaman carrying around way more mojo than yourself!!!!