Are there any Bush supporters out here - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Are there any Bush supporters out here

I was just wondering.

Old 06-27-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:24 PM
I am not an American but I support Bush's stance on quite a few issues because I genuinely believe that Kerry's policies would be a rehash of Clintons in terms of Global Security - I think that although simmilar to eachother (Bush / Kerry) the unilateral option is important when fighting against global terrorism. Placing stronger pressure onto these ME regimes to liberalise and cooperate is also important, I saw in a speech that Kerry was opposed to pressuring the Arabs because that would upset the balance of power in the region and that he would sacrifice human rights around the world in exchange for US National Security (but they both do that as would anybody who engages in such realpolitik, at least Bush will remove some truly nasty dicatorial regimes - Iraq - and place pressure on others - Sudan - while rewarding positive actions - the ongoing support ot Pervez Musharraf in exchange for assistance in NW Pakistan)

These are dangerous times and the type of strategy is critical in determining what threats will be faced, Bush was right in my opinion to go to war in Iraq and in many respects postwar that decision has been vindicated.

There is also the fact I think the US/AUS FTA is a good thing and that as it stands has a lot to do with Bush.

In the final analysis though it is what he is going to do that determines if he should be supported, taking such large scale action against Iraq in a first term is an impressive action, it will be interesting to see who is next on the enemies list to go. I would be optimistic about what types of sweeping changes Bush could make in the Middle East if he had a second term, this oddly enough is also why a lot of people are quite afraid of him getting a second term.

Old 06-27-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:24 PM
since I'm not american I can neither support or not support Bush

since america has a major global position his international policies do concern me
and I can't help but notice that as long as I can remember america has never met as much adversity in the rest of the world as it does now

and a major factor in this is that Bush isn't able to convince most people outside the US that the foreign policies as carried out by the US serve the interest of the world community

I don't think it's a healthy situation the way the US is regarded nowadays
there is a sort of "guilty until proven innocent" notion
and though you can't blame Bush for this entirely
he didn't help to prevent this situation to arise either
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-27-2004, 09:43 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Yes.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:24 AM
Definately, nope.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:17 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Yes
Old 06-27-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

You better believe it.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:27 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by RockNRollDawgie
Definately, nope.

What she said.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:13 AM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Absolutely

Just not me.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
The Fly

Yes
Old 06-28-2004, 09:01 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I am not an American but I support Bush's stance on quite a few issues because I genuinely believe that Kerry's policies would be a rehash of Clintons in terms of Global Security
And why is this a bad thing?

Quote:
- I think that although simmilar to eachother (Bush / Kerry) the unilateral option is important when fighting against global terrorism.
Here is where I completely disagree. I think a multilateral option is more important than an unilateral one. You need other countries when fighting global terrorism. While the USA is the most powerful nation on earth, it cannot do all of it alone, it has to work together with other countries to win the terrorism war.

Quote:
There is also the fact I think the US/AUS FTA is a good thing and that as it stands has a lot to do with Bush.
I don't know anything about this, so I can't really comment on it. But I thought that Republicans were never that happy with Free Trade Agreements. I could be wrong on this though...

C ya!

Marty (also not an US citizen)
Old 06-28-2004, 09:12 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:24 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I think that although simmilar to eachother (Bush / Kerry) the unilateral option is important when fighting against global terrorism.
Here is where I completely disagree. I think a multilateral option is more important than an unilateral one. You need other countries when fighting global terrorism. While the USA is the most powerful nation on earth, it cannot do all of it alone, it has to work together with other countries to win the terrorism war.
Just to clarify here I am talking about retaining the unilateral action option, I support multilateralism especially when fighting terrorism, rogue states and nation building but you should have all cards on the table in this fights, including the first strike capacity. It is a useful tool if used properly and not abused.

About the Clinton thing, I think that a lot of the failures that allowed 9/11 were systemic ones that were created during Clinton's term, restructing the CIA for post cold war, integration of intelligence agencies to meet new threats etc.. This is not to say that he was responsible for the attacks, that is about as obscene as blaming Bush, but a lot of the failures that allowed it to occur were made before 2001 and the same mistakes may be made if America elected somebody who would be more inclined to support stability in the Middle East through negotiation and compromise rather than direct pressure and action.

I think that Iraq as it stands is an example of a how a unilateral action may be transformed into a multinational task. The main downside for doing this is that it looses you allies very quickly and it will not guarantee that you have support in the next war. If we had used agressive inspections we may have had some results but I doubt that it would have came to war if the UN had allowed full drawn out negotiations and I also think that that cost of such a peace would be tens of thousands of Iraqi's.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:11 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

After much deliberation......I am still undecided but leaning yes.

I do however, think Kerry has a very good plan for dealing with nuklear material and how to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. It is an issue that I think is one of the most pressing issues facing the world. The nuke powers have managed to keep the peace for many years, but I think we are looking at a scary future with terrorists seeking the same material.

I also agree with the NEA (Terrorist Organization) that we are indeed getting the shaft from the administration on funding. Most of the funding is going towards issuing the yearly tests, and not into education. That is a problem....when you are more willing to fund the test, than to put it into classrooms.

But, I have issues with Kerry as well.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:47 AM   #14
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Yes.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:54 AM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Welcome back, it's been awhile.