Another Bush is up for re-election, we need MacPhisto!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2003, 04:32 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Skwege

Unfortunately if Bono ever said anything negative about Bush, ol' Dubya would kill all of Bono's hardwork with a wave of a pen.
It surprises me how vindictive Bush is when it comes to people who say stuff about him, look what he did to New Zealand and France.
Bush doesn't need to do anything, just check what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

What did Bush do to New Zealand? I know they got pissed off at comments from the New Zealand Prime Minister about how if Gore were in power, there would be no Iraq war, but I didn't think that they did anything about it.

As much as I'd dearly love to see Bono screaming anti-Bush till he goes blue, It's good that he sees which approach is really more important at the moment. He's got alot of politician in him.

Old 09-01-2003, 04:37 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden

Bush doesn't need to do anything, just check what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

What did Bush do to New Zealand? I know they got pissed off at comments from the New Zealand Prime Minister about how if Gore were in power, there would be no Iraq war, but I didn't think that they did anything about it.

As much as I'd dearly love to see Bono screaming anti-Bush till he goes blue, It's good that he sees which approach is really more important at the moment. He's got alot of politician in him.
Unfortunately their are those shallow shills that accuse Bono of selling out to Bush. Of course those are the same idiots that believe Henry Rollins word for word.
Nonetheless I had friends move to New Zealand from the US recently. They're pretty bitter over the whole issue with a trade agreement Bush was entering into with Australia and NZ, but after the comments that the Prime Minister made, and then their refusal to send troops to Iraq, they got screwed out of the deal.
It's late. I can pull up some specifics in the morning.
Frankly this will sound rude, but anyone who supports Bush is either stupid or ignorant. Most likely both.

Old 09-01-2003, 06:47 AM   #18
War Child

Quote:

Unfortunately their are those shallow shills that accuse Bono of selling out to Bush.
That stupid, it's quite simple. Bono needs the help of the current US President with this issue. The current US President is Bush. That's all.

I forgot about the Free Trade thing. They'll get it eventually.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:49 AM   #19
War Child

Quote:

Frankly this will sound rude, but anyone who supports Bush is either stupid or ignorant. Most likely both.

I don't know about ignorant and stupid. I think a large percentage of Bush supporters would be ignorant, but not in a way that is really their fault. Just that they are the average working mums and dads who don't really pay much attention, go home at the end of the day and catch 10-15 minutes of FOX or CNN, and get suckered in by ratings driven news-entertainment.
They feel the fear you were talking about earlier, and find a news service that needs a war to out-rate their competitors. They make up the majority of voters. It's pretty much the same here in Australia (without the extreme ridiculousness of Fox News - which we do have, but it's just a feed of the US channel, i.e nothing local). And governments play up mostly to exactly those people.

There are obviously intelligent Bush voters, there are some here at FYM, but I'm not sure. I think it's partly republican/democrat, right/left allegiance blinkers being on, or just a different way of thinking. Or just not thinking enough, or outside the square enough. The 'War On Terror' for example, I can't see how anyone thinks that's working. Or will work in the long term. Anyone with a simple intelligence can tell you that as long as there is a need for a product, someone is going to sell it. No-matter how many salesmen you kill, there'll be another one. At the moment a large percentage of the earth has a problem and are screaming for a solution. It differs slightly from region to region, but they have a similar theme. There's a marketplace there for you to sell a solution to these people. At the moment only one group of people have bothered to try and target this market. Without any other option, millions bought what they were selling: Hate towards the West hidden behind a religion and a specific target that right or wrong, made it very easy for them to point the finger at. Now the US is trying to kill them. If they do, and then the US/West continues to ignore the problem, another salesman is going to pop up pretty quick.

Since this thread was about Bono & Africa, I'll bring it back to Bono & Africa...
He said, in regards to Africa, that one of the main reasons the HIV/AIDS problem should be solved quickly was that in say 10 years time you are going to have a huge percentage of the population of Africa wiped out. The West had the $ and drugs to help, but held back. The whole place will collapse in many ways, economically, governments etc. Millions of people upset and pissed off. A whole continent. A huge problem that will need a solution in 10 years or now. In 10 years, if no-one else steps up, another Osama Bin Laden type salesman could stand up in Africa and say "It happened to us, because of them, because they hate us, so we must go and get them." And if no-one else gives them another option, they'll buy that argument.

I think theres a link between a woman getting paid $1 a day in Indonesia to make Nikes that retail here in Sydney for $300 each, a farmer getting shafted in Brazil by a multinational mining company, an AIDS orphan in Africa, an angry young man in Saudi Arabia with no-where to direct his anger. Thats what needs to change and that change as sure as night follows day is not going to come from any fucking Bush. Instead Bush will basically tell them to do their job and keep quiet or else... and his supporters will cheer because... I really don't know.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:02 AM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Skwege there's a better way to describe anyone who supports Bush in here. Please either use an alternate description or don't say it at all. Its nothing more than a cheap insult as it is, ok?

BTW who has control over NZ's military now? I thought they were 'sold'...lol...
Old 09-01-2003, 10:20 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Old 09-01-2003, 01:54 PM   #22
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Skwege there's a better way to describe anyone who supports Bush in here. Please either use an alternate description or don't say it at all. Its nothing more than a cheap insult as it is, ok?

BTW who has control over NZ's military now? I thought they were 'sold'...lol...

Okay they are eighter stupid, ignorant, or excessively paranoid.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:07 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:40 PM

Quote:

Happy "I Hate Conservatives Day" everyone!

~U2Alabama
Old 09-01-2003, 11:22 PM   #24
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Happy "I Hate Conservatives Day" everyone!

~U2Alabama
I don't hate them, I just have a complete lack of respect for most.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:59 AM   #25
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Quote:

I asked you to refrain from this.

Insults won't be tolerated.