Al-Qaida warns Muslims: Time to get out of U.S. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2006, 05:45 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No, you want to live behind a "Berlin Wall"?

My history can be a bit hazy - but wasn't the Berlin Wall built to keep people from escaping their own country?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

My history can be a bit hazy - but wasn't the Berlin Wall built to keep people from escaping their own country?
Well then I ask you how other way do you expect to have secured borders?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Well then I ask you how other way do you expect to have secured borders?
I agree with the concept of a "wall" (be it electronic, concrete, drone surveillance…etc) - I just don't see how a wall on the Mexican border is equal to the Berlin Wall.

Mexican Wall – KEEP OUT terrorists, illegal immigrants, drug runners
Berlin Wall – KEEP IN anyone with the desire to leave an oppressive totalitarian regime
Old 09-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Build a Wall an have entry ports and fix the system???
Old 09-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I agree with the concept of a "wall" (be it electronic, concrete, drone surveillance…etc) - I just don't see how a wall on the Mexican border is equal to the Berlin Wall.

Mexican Wall – KEEP OUT terrorists, illegal immigrants, drug runners
Berlin Wall – KEEP IN anyone with the desire to leave an oppressive totalitarian regime
Oh I love how secure borders only means the Mexican border. How typical...

Who do you think would build that wall?

Do you think terrorists, illegal immigrants and drugs only come into this country by crossing illegally? This is my point. Completely secured borders are going to make a difference in trade and travel. Think about it...
Old 09-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Oh I love how secure borders only means the Mexican border. How typical...
Mexico first, then Canada. Both should be secured in the long run.

Quote:

Who do you think would build that wall?
It will take a lot of time and resources, I admit. But it seems to be worth it. In some of the more remote regions of the border, drones and other surveillance measures can be used to help Border Patrol/National Guard/Homeland Security pinpoint those crossing the border illegally. That would be cheaper than an actual, physical wall.

Quote:
Do you think terrorists, illegal immigrants and drugs only come into this country by crossing illegally?
Of course not. Legal entry should also be tightened.

Quote:

This is my point. Completely secured borders are going to make a difference in trade and travel. Think about it...
I have no idea what you are saying here. Please explain.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:20 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:10 PM
do you have any more sources for these potentially catastrophic attacks on NYC and DC?

i live in DC. i ride Metro every single day.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I have no idea what you are saying here. Please explain.
You keep saying completely securing the borders will only allow the bad from getting in, but this isn't true
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
do you have any more sources for these potentially catastrophic attacks on NYC and DC?

i live in DC. i ride Metro every single day.
The only other sources I have do not come from the press. Like I said, I have been "briefed" about it because I'm an officer in the National Guard and we will have to respond quickly to prevent America from falling into chaos if something like this happens.

I do not think that there is enough information here to change your daily routine. However, I think it would be "smart" to have some sort of emergency plan for you and your loved ones (whether it be a nuclear blast, hurricane, earthquake, another 9-11 typr attack...etc).
Old 09-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:40 PM
I love living next to the most paranoid country on the planet.

Missile defence system, building walls, fighting them over there so we don't fight them here, alert status red, blah, blah, blah There are so many holes in the security of democracy, it's impossible to plug all of them. Vigilance and security measures are one thing, duct tape as a way to protect oneself is another. The only way is to have a closed society with curfews and cameras mounted everywhere, kinda like North Korea, they are pretty safe aren't they? Maybe the US should legislate an ID card system like in the movies, "Papers please", no papers? off to jail.

In the meantime, the rest of the world including China and India are going to pass you by while you shore up your defenses and neglect your education, infrastructure and social needs. Yep, Al Qaeda is going to bankrupt the US on threats alone. Hopefully, Canada won't get sucked into your vortex. Although, a tougher border crossing will only lead to inevitably longer crossings which could impact manufacturing and delivery times of products in both countries leading to a slowdown in the economies of both nations. A likely side effect will be less cross border travel in general which will impact the tourism industry on both sides of the border. But hey, it's good for people to see their own countries and spend money at home instead of abroad.

Perhaps if the employers in the US stopped hiring these so-called illegal immigrants and providing them with an incentive for coming to the US, they would stop coming. Why go somewhere if you can't even get a job? Invest all the money going to the walls and towers into hiring people to investigate companies hiring practices. Isn't that one of the problems, not enough staffing to monitor illegal hiring. If the argument is that those workers are needed to fulfill low-wage jobs in the US economy, well, perhaps the US should adopt a more liberal immigration or migrant worker policy to address that situation. Unfortunately, your government never likes to look at problems from within, only at the outside. The war on drugs should be proof enough that when people want something, they find a way to get it, no matter what the government does. At the end of the day, the people, guns and drugs will still cross both borders. The end user may pay more for it and the smugglers will make more money. How do convicted felons get their drugs in jail, they are locked up from society with no freedom but somehow they get access to drugs, remarkable ain't it?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

In the meantime, the rest of the world including China and India are going to pass you by while you shore up your defenses and neglect your education, infrastructure and social needs. Yep, Al Qaeda is going to bankrupt the US on threats alone. Hopefully, Canada won't get sucked into your vortex.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
I love living next to the most paranoid country on the planet.

I am sure you would probably be a little more understanding if Toronto or Vancouver were hit with the same casualties as 9/11.

Being cautious and prepared is not the same as being paranoid. Americans are still going about their daily lives even though they have a big target on their head. We are far from paranoid my friend.

You did make some good points about migrant labor. In my opinion – if it is too expensive to make something without cheap, illegal labor – then too bad. The same argument was made by the South to justify slavery. In the end, the economy will adjust and we’ll be better off for it.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Being cautious and prepared is not the same as being paranoid. Americans are still going about their daily lives even though they have a big target on their head. We are far from paranoid my friend.
Wow, you must live in a different country than I...
Old 09-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Wow, you must live in a different country than I...
Why? Are you typing from an undergound shelter in Wyoming or something?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:10 PM
Quote:
Americans are still going about their daily lives even though they have a big target on their head.
Why are you dragging Dick Cheney's hunting (drinking) buddies into this?