Ahmadinejad Wants To Visit Ground Zero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
He will talk about it on 60 Minutes Sunday. He wants to go there to "air his views about the root causes". Uh, I don't think so-not appropriate. For me it's about 90 % of me that says no, 10 % holds out hope for pure motives and genuine compassion and humanity. If he just wanted to pay respects he wouldn't say anything about root causes-save that for the UN.

(CBS) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will not press his plan -- just denied by New York City police for security reasons -- to visit ground zero in New York City, he tells 60 Minutes' Scott Pelley in an exclusive interview conducted Thursday in Iran.

The Iranian leader says he's skeptical that most Americans view his visit there as insulting as his intention was only to show respect. The interview will be broadcast Sunday, Sept. 23, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Asked if he intends to press his request to visit the World Trade Center site, Ahmadinejad tells Pelley, "Well, it was included in my program. If we have the time and the conditions are conducive, I will try to do that."

"But the New York Police Department and others do not appear to want you there. Do you intend to go there anyway?" Pelley asks.

"Well, over there, local officials need to make the necessary coordinations. If they can't do that, I won't insist," the president replies.

"Sir, what were you thinking? The World Trade Center site is the most sensitive place in the American heart, and you must have known that visiting there would be insulting to many, many Americans," Pelley says.

"Why should it be insulting?" Ahmadinejad asks.

"Well, sir, you're the head of government of an Islamist state that the United States government says is a major exporter of terrorism around the world," Pelley says.

"Well, I wouldn't say that what American government says is is the prerequisite here. Something happened there which led to other events. Many innocent people were killed there. Some of those people were American citizens obviously. We obviously are very much against any terrorist action and any killing. And also we are very much against any plots to sow the seeds of discord among nations," Ahmadinejad replies. "Usually you go to these sites to pay your respects. And also to perhaps to air your views about the root causes of such incidents. I think that when I do that, I will be paying, as I said earlier, my respect to the American nation."

"But the American people, sir, believe that your country is a terrorist nation, exporting terrorism in the world," Pelley says. "You must have known that visiting the World Trade Center site would infuriate many Americans."

"Well, I'm amazed. How can you speak for the whole of the American nation?" Ahmadinejad says. "You are representing a media and you're a reporter. The American nation is made up of 300 million people. There are different points of view over there."

Eh, I don't know. . .I think this interviewer comes off a bit ludicrous.

"Hey, don't you know you're one of the Bad Guys? You're not allowed to go there. Haven't you read your script?. . .No, no, it says right here, you're Evil! You hate freedom, you're not supposed to go there!"

I think the worst Ahmadinejad could do is get to Ground Zero and start making some grandstanding, zealous speech about the "root causes." That would be quite offensive. But to me, banning him from the site STILL seems like, I don't know, a bit of over-reaction. I think we, as a nation can have the dignity and the grace to allow this guy to visit the site.

NEW YORK (AP) - Columbia University said it does not plan to call off a speech by Iran's president despite pressure from critics including the City Council speaker, who said the Ivy League school was providing a forum for "hate-mongering vitriol."

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is traveling to New York to address the United Nations' General Assembly. He was to appear Monday at a question-and- answer session with Columbia faculty and students as part of the school's World Leaders Forum.

The State Department calls Iran a state sponsor of terror, and Ahmadinejad has called the Holocaust "a myth" and urged for Israel to be destroyed.

City Council speaker Christine Quinn called Thursday for the university to rescind the invitation, saying "the idea of Ahmadinejad as an honored guest anywhere in our city is offensive to all New Yorkers."

Quinn, a Democrat, said Ahmadinejad was coming to the city "for one reason—to spread his hate-mongering vitriol on the world stage."

His planned appearance at Columbia also was condemned by Jewish groups including the Jewish Defense Organization, which described Ahmadinejad as "the Hitler of Iran."

Columbia spokesman Robert Hornsby said Thursday there was no plan to cancel the appearance, though the university dropped plans for an Ahmadinejad speech last year because of security and logistical problems. The decision came after a Jewish activist group expressed outrage over the invitation.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday that the university was free to invite Ahmadinejad to speak, but "personally, I wouldn't go to listen to him—I don't care about what he says."

White House deputy press secretary Tony Fratto said Friday that the Bush administration had no involvement with Columbia's decision.

"This is a country where people can come and speak their minds," he said, adding, "It would be wonderful if some of the countries that take advantage of that here allowed it for their own citizens there."

Columbia President Lee Bollinger, in announcing Ahmadinejad's upcoming appearance, described the event as part of "Columbia's long-standing tradition of serving as a major forum for robust debate." He said the Iranian president had agreed to answer questions on Israel and the Holocaust.

Columbia University should be ashamed of itself. I'm tired of the "shades of gray" in this world. Why would anyone give this idiot a plaform to speak? And please don't give me the freedom of speech argument. This guy isn't an american, he is the president of a country who doesn't have freedoms of press and religion. Try being openly gay in Tehran. See where that gets ya! I'm shocked more liberals aren't fired up about this guys agenda when he gets here. Why? oh, thats right, we have to be TOLERANT. Well, I'm not tolerant of this idiot. This man is dangerous, his country is involved directly in the killing of US service members, and he wants to come to ground zero? I hope he is taken care of in a New York minute....

MrsSpringsteen said:
Asked if he intends to press his request to visit the World Trade Center site, Ahmadinejad tells Pelley, "Well, it was included in my program. If we have the time and the conditions are conducive, I will try to do that."

"But the New York Police Department and others do not appear to want you there. Do you intend to go there anyway?" Pelley asks.

"Well, over there, local officials need to make the necessary coordinations. If they can't do that, I won't insist," the president replies.

"Sir, what were you thinking? The World Trade Center site is the most sensitive place in the American heart, and you must have known that visiting there would be insulting to many, many Americans," Pelley says.

"Why should it be insulting?" Ahmadinejad asks.

"Well, sir, you're the head of government of an Islamist state that the United States government says is a major exporter of terrorism around the world," Pelley says.

"Well, I wouldn't say that what American government says is is the prerequisite here. Something happened there which led to other events. Many innocent people were killed there. Some of those people were American citizens obviously. We obviously are very much against any terrorist action and any killing. And also we are very much against any plots to sow the seeds of discord among nations," Ahmadinejad replies. "Usually you go to these sites to pay your respects. And also to perhaps to air your views about the root causes of such incidents. I think that when I do that, I will be paying, as I said earlier, my respect to the American nation."

"But the American people, sir, believe that your country is a terrorist nation, exporting terrorism in the world," Pelley says. "You must have known that visiting the World Trade Center site would infuriate many Americans."

"Well, I'm amazed. How can you speak for the whole of the American nation?" Ahmadinejad says. "You are representing a media and you're a reporter. The American nation is made up of 300 million people. There are different points of view over there."

Frankly, Ahmadinejad comes off as more rational than the "what were you thinking?" interviewer.

And in any case, if we're going to keep up the "Iran is a terrorist state" line of discussion, it's worth remembering that the real power in Iran belongs to Ayatollah Khamenei.

Abomb-baby said:
Columbia University should be ashamed of itself. I'm tired of the "shades of gray" in this world. Why would anyone give this idiot a plaform to speak? And please don't give me the freedom of speech argument. This guy isn't an american, he is the president of a country who doesn't have freedoms of press and religion. Try being openly gay in Tehran. See where that gets ya! I'm shocked more liberals aren't fired up about this guys agenda when he gets here. Why? oh, thats right, we have to be TOLERANT. Well, I'm not tolerant of this idiot. This man is dangerous, his country is involved directly in the killing of US service members, and he wants to come to ground zero? I hope he is taken care of in a New York minute....

allowing someone to speak doesn't mean that you endorse everything he stands for. you bring up a great example about the execution of gays in Iran -- and the FAILURE of the US to condem the state persecution of homosexuals.

he is the head of state of a country that we have to deal with. he is *democratically* elected. we have to deal with him. F. Scott Fitzgerald once said something to the effect of "the mark of an ingelligent person is being able to hold two contradictory thoughts in his head at once."

this is what adults do. we don't throw tantrums, we deal with who we have to deal with.

dazzlingamy said:
The thing is here - yes he is an enabler of terrorism, but then so is America.

could you name for me the officially designated terrorist groups -- like the Iranian-funded Hezbollah -- that the US supports?

and the whole "the US army terrorizes" doesn't fly in this particular situation. we do have rules as to who is and who isn't a terrorist -- Hezbollah, Hamas.

[q]Originally posted by financeguy

Mudfeld's statement:- "As usual, NYC politicians don't like Muslims if they stand up for themselves. Giuliani kicked Arafat at a concert in NYC, while he has no problem with mass murdering Israeli heads of state. So typical of New York" was a bit of an overgeneralisation, IMO. But I wouldn't hugely disagree with its general thrust.

I would venture that the three most well known New York politicians at the moment are Hilary Clinton, Rudi Giuliani and Michael Bloomberg - each one of them pretty strongly pro-Zionist. One is current Mayor, another a former Mayor and one is an elected Senator and married to a former President. Not uninfluentual people, it's fair to say. And all three are potential Presidential candidates.[/q]

we can agree on a lazy overgeneralization, but disagree on the use of the phrase "pro-Zionist." the overal bent of the generalization, as i took it, was the whole "Jew York" slur i've heard many times and the oft-repeated canard that the Jews control everything in the US. i might have read too much into that.

[q]Whose perception, precisely, are we talking about here? On the basis of what Mudfeld has said in this thread, I don't have any such perception - do you? If you do, can you explain why?[/q]

http://forum.interference.com/t179916.html

[q]It seems to me that that's a fairly strong statement of expression of disgust for the war crimes committed by the Nazis, and it's a long way from your implication that Mudfeld only stated that the Holocaust was "A Bad Thing" to "cover his ass".[/q]

it struck me as an expression of exasperation with perceived notions that the Jews feel themselves to be entitled to certain things because they have suffered more, and as such are exceptional and deserve exceptional treatment. and it's akin to someone saying, "yes, slavery was a bad thing, but that doesn't excuse those black kids who just stole my car."

Can you give some examples? And is anyone seriously claiming that group suffering is known only to Palestinians?

i am saying that the amount of political time and attention to the Palestinians is out of proportion to the level of suffering in the territories.

would that the residents of Darfur have Tony Blair arrive to mediate between them and the muslim government in the north. "Never Again" indeed.

It pisses me off to no end that this administration NEVER publisized the fact that Al-Qaeda had more ties to Iran than Iraq. This is in multiple books written after 9/11. Why? Why? Why?

Irvine511 said:
[q]Originally posted by financeguy
I would venture that the three most well known New York politicians at the moment are Hilary Clinton, Rudi Giuliani and Michael Bloomberg - each one of them pretty strongly pro-Zionist. One is current Mayor, another a former Mayor and one is an elected Senator and married to a former President. Not uninfluentual people, it's fair to say. And all three are potential Presidential candidates.[/q]

we can agree on a lazy overgeneralization, but disagree on the use of the phrase "pro-Zionist." the overal bent of the generalization, as i took it, was the whole "Jew York" slur i've heard many times and the oft-repeated canard that the Jews control everything in the US. i might have read too much into that.

I didn't say it was a lazy overgeneralization. I said it was a bit of an overgeneralization, but that I didn't disagree with its broad thrust. In relation to the use of the phrase "pro-Zionist", which you appear to find problematic, please note I did not say simply say pro-Zionist. Zionist is usually taking as meaning support for the continuing existence of the State of Israel. By that standard, I am Zionist myself. But when I look at the policy positions and public speeches and statements of politicians such as Clinton, Bloomberg, and Giuilani, then I'd describe them not just as pro-Zionist, but strongly, even fervently so. Hilary is perhaps slightly more nuanced than the other two on the subject. At least, I hope so.

Irvine511 said:

I hadn't seen that thread, as I haven't been paying much attention to news about the new album. Having skimmed it, I find that the post by Lazarus largely represents my own views, so I will take the liberty of quoting from it here:-

lazarus said:
It's amazing how any time someone criticizes Israel's policies, they are immediately branded as some kind of intolerant Jew-hater. If you go back and read what Muldfield said, he never used the word "Israelis" or "Jews". He referred to Israel itself, which to me means its government. Why don't you just go ahead and call him a Nazi and Anti-Semite? It's the easiest way to discredit anything he may have said in the interest of a serious discussion.

As someone who was raised Jewish (including learning rudimentary Hebrew and being Bar Mitzvahed), I've seen this attitude many times, and it comes at no surprise that people are playing the victim so quickly. Look at Jimmy Carter, a hero of the Israel/Egypt Peace Agreements back in the 1970's and NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNER, who attempted to write an objective book about the conflict, titled "Palastine: Peace Not Apartheid". When he suggested that Israel may not be playing completely fair with the Palestinean territories, he was attacked by the usual suspects like the Anti-Defamation League, who view any suggestion of Israeli government wrong doing as an all-out assault on the Jewish people. While I understand that Anti-Semitism is alive and well, and that Jews should always be on guard for those who would try to add to the history of discrimination and intolerance, this inability to have an objective discussion does no one any good.

The United States and Israel have on numerous occasions ignored or reneged on United Nations resolutions, and haven't shown themselves to be fair partners in peace. While death and destruction can be attributed to both sides, it bothers me that a suicide bomber can be called a terrorist while a tank blowing up women and children is just considered a military action. History has made it very difficult to sympathize with a much larger and stronger power over a smaller one that is trying to attain some kind of freedom for itself. I don't think this case is necessarily any different.

Back to my main point, it's my understanding that most Jews worldwide, and most Israeli civilians aren't as hardlined about this situation as the Israeli government. So when one criticizes the political entity, how does that translate to a generalization of its citizens? When people protest George Bush all over the world, I don't take it personally.

And incidentally, I'd suggest that your implication about Mudfeld's views is unworthy of you. The posts by Mudfeld and the overall discussion on that thread was a lot more nuanced than what you're suggesting.

Irvine511 said:
[q]it struck me as an expression of exasperation with perceived notions that the Jews feel themselves to be entitled to certain things because they have suffered more, and as such are exceptional and deserve exceptional treatment.

Well, all I can say to this is that it's amazing how different people can read different things into the same statement.

Having said all that, I have no clue what Mudfeld is on about with all the 'BattleStar Galactica' stuff. :huh::wink:

Last edited:
Abomb-baby said:
And please don't give me the freedom of speech argument. This guy isn't an american, he is the president of a country who doesn't have freedoms of press and religion.

which, of course, is exactly why they should allow him to speak. ah the irony.

mayor mike put it best

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday that the university was free to invite Ahmadinejad to speak, but "personally, I wouldn't go to listen to him—I don't care about what he says."

I say let him visit the site.
Let him speak at Columbia University. I know it's some idealistic faith I have that people can change or get some insight.
I don't underestimate the power of our young people and freedom of speech to make a strong statement.

Which reminds me...

They say that what you mock
Will surely overtake you
And you become a monster
So the monster will not break you

And it's already gone too far
Who said that if you go in hard
You won't get hurt

i suppose the next line to that song didn't fit the topic? :wink:

if anything i've gained respect for Columbia over this... not that an Ivy League school really needs the respect of some schlub like me...

letting this man speak is in no way endorsing him or his views. it's simply giving their students the best possible insight into the views of one of the most influential people in the world. isn't that what college is for?

he may be a wack job, but that wack job is, ya know, kinda a big deal.

Irvine511 said:

could you name for me the officially designated terrorist groups -- like the Iranian-funded Hezbollah -- that the US supports?

and the whole "the US army terrorizes" doesn't fly in this particular situation. we do have rules as to who is and who isn't a terrorist -- Hezbollah, Hamas.

Well i do believe that america has let a lot of cats out of the bag by the complete balls up in Iraq - a lot of death can be contributed to the war in iraq. i believe the us should take some responsibility. While they're not putting funding in the bank, there are other ways to be an enabler. I just think its a little bit of a pot calling the kettle black.

dazzlingamy said:

Well i do believe that america has let a lot of cats out of the bag by the complete balls up in Iraq - a lot of death can be contributed to the war in iraq. i believe the us should take some responsibility. While they're not putting funding in the bank, there are other ways to be an enabler. I just think its a little bit of a pot calling the kettle black.

i don't disagree here, but i think this is distinct from funding Hezbollah.

Something intelligent has finally come out of the mouth of Bloomberg.

The United States is really being needlessly belligerent when it comes to Iran. Excessively so.

I think a fairer comparison would be Iran's support of Hamas & Hezbollah to the US' activities in Latin America for the last 40 or so years. At least (whether you agree with it or not) Iraq is a war...we didn't go in covertly with mercenaries and assassins to take Hussein down, which has been our M.O. in Central & South America. Funny nobody in the West had a word to say about that, but Iraq brings all sorts of protestations around the world. But that's for another thread, not to derail this one.

But anyway, I still say Columbia is right to have him speak, and if he wants to take a chance & visit Ground Zero he should. And agreed with the bit financeguy quoted, in that just being critical of Israeli government activity doesn't equate to anti-semitism. That's a bit disingenuous...in fact it's comparable to saying people who oppose the war are anit-American.

CTU2fan said:
I think a fairer comparison would be Iran's support of Hamas & Hezbollah to the US' activities in Latin America for the last 40 or so years. At least (whether you agree with it or not) Iraq is a war...we didn't go in covertly with mercenaries and assassins to take Hussein down, which has been our M.O. in Central & South America. Funny nobody in the West had a word to say about that, but Iraq brings all sorts of protestations around the world. But that's for another thread, not to derail this one.

actually, i thought of this yesterday. i think it's a fair point, though things always get a little murky with the Cold War as the Soviets were playing every bit as dirty.

but, yes, another thread indeed.

U.S. Focus on Ahmadinejad Puzzles Iranians

By MICHAEL SLACKMAN
New York Times, September 24, 2007

TEHRAN — When Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was first elected president, he said Iran had more important issues to worry about than how women dress. He even called for allowing women into soccer games, a revolutionary idea for revolutionary Iran. Today, Iran is experiencing the most severe crackdown on social behavior and dress in years, and women are often barred from smoking in public, let alone attending a stadium event.

Since his inauguration two years ago, Mr. Ahmadinejad has grabbed headlines around the world, and in Iran, for outrageous statements that often have no more likelihood of being put into practice than his plan for women to attend soccer games. He has generated controversy in New York in recent days by asking to visit ground zero — a request that was denied — and his scheduled appearance at Columbia University has drawn protests.

But it is because of his provocative remarks, like denying the Holocaust and calling for Israel to be wiped off the map, that the United States and Europe have never known quite how to handle him. In demonizing Mr. Ahmadinejad, the West has served him well, elevating his status at home and in the region at a time when he is increasingly isolated politically because of his go-it-alone style and ineffective economic policies, according to Iranian politicians, officials and political experts.

Political analysts here say they are surprised at the degree to which the West focuses on their president, saying that it reflects a general misunderstanding of their system. Unlike in the United States, in Iran the president is not the head of state nor the commander in chief. That status is held by Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the supreme leader, whose role combines civil and religious authority. At the moment, this president’s power comes from two sources, they say: the unqualified support of the supreme leader, and the international condemnation he manages to generate when he speaks up. “The United States pays too much attention to Ahmadinejad,” said an Iranian political scientist who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal. “He is not that consequential.”

That is not to say that Mr. Ahmadinejad is insignificant. He controls the mechanics of civil government, much the way a prime minister does in a state like Egypt, where the real power rests with the president. He manages the budget and has put like-minded people in positions around the country, from provincial governors to prosecutors. His base of support is the Basiji militia and elements of the Revolutionary Guards. But Mr. Ahmadinejad has not shown the same political acumen at home as he has in riling the West. Two of his ministers have quit, criticizing his stewardship of the state. The head of the central bank resigned. The chief judge criticized him for his management of the government. His promise to root out corruption and redistribute oil wealth has run up against entrenched interests. Even a small bloc of members of Parliament that once aligned with Mr. Ahmadinejad has largely given up, officials said. “Maybe it comes as a surprise to you that I voted for him,” said Emad Afrough, a conservative member of Parliament. “I liked the slogans demanding justice.” But he added: “You cannot govern the country on a personal basis. You have to use public knowledge and consultation.”

Rather than focusing so much attention on the president, the West needs to learn that in Iran, what matters is ideology — Islamic revolutionary ideology, according to politicians and political analysts here. Nearly 30 years after the shah fell in a popular revolt, Iran’s supreme leader also holds title of guardian of the revolution. Mr. Ahmadinejad’s power stems not from his office per se, but from the refusal of his patron, Ayatollah Khamenei, and some hard-line leaders, to move beyond Iran’s revolutionary identity, which makes full relations with the West impossible. There are plenty of conservatives and hard-liners who take a more pragmatic view, wanting to retain “revolutionary values” while integrating Iran with the world, at least economically. But they are not driving the agenda these days, and while that could change, it will not be the president who makes that call. “Iran has never been interested in reaching an accommodation with the United States,” the Iranian political scientist said. “It cannot reach an accommodation as long as it retains the current structure.”

Another important factor restricts Mr. Ahmadinejad’s hand: while ideology defines the state, the revolution has allowed a particular class to grow wealthy and powerful. When Mr. Ahmadinejad was first elected, it appeared that Iran’s hard-liners had a monopoly on all the levers of power. But today it is clear that Mr. Ahmadinejad is not a hard-liner in the traditional sense. His talk of economic justice and a redistribution of wealth, for example, ran into a wall of existing vested interests, including powerful clergy members and military leaders. “Ahmadinejad is a phenomenon,” said Mohammad Ali Abtahi, a former vice president under the more moderate administration of Mohammad Khatami. “On a religious level he is much more of a hard-liner than the traditional hard-liners. But on a political level, he does not have the support of the hard-liners.” In the long run, political analysts here say, a desire to preserve those vested interests will drive Iran’s agenda. That means that the allegiance of the political elite is to the system, not a particular president. If this president were ever perceived as outlasting his usefulness, he would probably take his place in history beside other presidents who failed to change the orientation of the system.

Iranians will go to the polls in less than two years to select a president. There are so many pressures on the electoral system here, few people expect an honest race. The Guardian Council, for example, controlled by hard-liners, must approve all candidates. But whether Mr. Ahmadinejad wins or loses, there is no sense here in Iran that the outcome will have any impact on the fundamentals of Iran’s relations with the world or the government’s relation to its own society. “The situation will get worse and worse,” said Saeed Leylaz, an economist and former government official. “We are moving to a point where no internal force can change things.”

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'd be pissed off if he went to ground zero... i'd be highly offended if he went down there and made a mockery of the sacred ground. but, alas, this is america. if that's what he wants to do while he's here, he should be allowed to do so.

Agreed.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i suppose the next line to that song didn't fit the topic? :wink:

if anything i've gained respect for Columbia over this... not that an Ivy League school really needs the respect of some schlub like me...

letting this man speak is in no way endorsing him or his views. it's simply giving their students the best possible insight into the views of one of the most influential people in the world. isn't that what college is for?

he may be a wack job, but that wack job is, ya know, kinda a big deal.

Plus, don't the students get an opportunity to question and challenge him on his views?

If he was just giving a one sided speech it might be one thing, but the fact that the university president and the students get to challenge him in response (something that wouldn't happen in his country) is a good thing, imho.

Well that was a fascinating speech/discussion...if fascinating is the right word.

I was laughing with the audience when he said that homosexuality is a "western phenomenon" and that there are no homosexuals in Iran. A lot of it left me scratching my head because it was in stark contrast to previous statements, i.e. the Holocaust should be researched (rather than flat out denying it), painting Iran as the victim of terrorism, there were some other bits that I can't recall at this moment.

I'm glad I saw it, I think a dialogue, even with madmen, is necessary in this age of globalization.

"We are a peace-loving nation," he said to boos and cheers.

On the Holocaust, Ahmadinejad said he simply wanted more research about it, saying that chapter in history was abused as a justification for Israeli mistreatment of the Palestinians.

“Why is it that the Palestinian people are paying the price for an event they had nothing to do with?” Ahmadinejad asked. He closed his prepared remarks with a terse smile, to applause and boos, before taking questions from the audience.

Ahmadinejad was asked about whether Iran sought the destruction of Israel.

"We love all nations. We are friends with the Jewish people," he said, adding that Palestinians must be allowed to determine their own statehood.

Asked by a moderator for a yes or no answer, Ahmadinejad said he should be free to answer as he wished.

On another question, Ahmadinejad appeared agitated and denied he was questioning the existence of the Holocaust. "Granted this happened, what does it have to do with the Palestian people?" he said.

But then he said he was defending the rights of European scholars, an apparent reference to a small number who have been prosecuted under national laws for denying or minimizing the Holocaust.

"There's nothing known as absolute," he said.

If any one ever looked into his holocaust remarks

they would have seen his agenda was to bring the focus to the treatment of the Palestinians

as related Israel's creation because of European treatment of Jews

Back
Top Bottom