A question for the FYM masses. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by freetobeme
So much for the 'Hide My IP' program

*uninstalls*

*returns for refund*
Well it's pretty obvious, program or not...

Old 07-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #17
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by freetobeme
So much for the 'Hide My IP' program

*uninstalls*

*returns for refund*
You know, it is only a messageboard.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2006, 02:40 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Re: A question for the FYM masses.

Quote:
Originally posted by maude
Why is it that on this forum prejudice is generally not tolerated in regards to sex, race, and religion, but when it comes to political affiliation, it becomes ok? Prejudice is the mark of an ignorant people and I have to wonder when I see otherwise intelligent posters on this forum, from both sides of the political spectrum, reduce so many interesting discussions into democart vs. republican bashing nonsense. If it's wrong to dismiss or show a lack of respect toward an individual based on their gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or religion, then isn't it just as wrong to do so based on their political "label"?
I understand your frustrations, though on the whole I find that the positive things to be gained on this forum far outweigh the negative. I appreciate the diversity of views found here, and while liberals do outnumber conservatives here, I admire the courage and tenacity of conservative posters to stick it out, and keep being the voices of dissent. Voices dissenting from the "majority" have great value, if only to force the majority not get lazy in their thinking and views.

That said, I think prejudice can exist against people based on ideology or perhaps more accurately stereotyping. It's so easy to read a person's views on issue and assume you know all about that person and can predict what their views will be on all other issues. Like most stereotypes, there's just enough truth in them, to make it easy to generalize to everyone. I know I've been guilty of this stereotyping, and I've been proved wrong in my assumptions on many occasions. And to be honest, being proved wrong is when I learn the most on this forum.

In a sense all of us on this forum have a certain amount of "arrogance" if you will. You have to be at least a little cocky to be as opinionated as we all are!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:47 AM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:00 PM
maycocksean, I like you posting style...

and by the way, that's not a sarcastic wink...
Old 07-23-2006, 03:01 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I've only been here for a few days alot of which has been on FYM and haven't encountered this stuff. Even if I'm wrong I find that it is better to talk then to engage in the other alternatives. If someone makes fair points, there will always be someone to defend your viewpoint. If U2 fans are anything, they're feisty but at the same time they will listen if what is said is free of the prejudicial things that have no place in conversation or debate. U2 fans are not afraid to turn on one of thier own if they are out of line.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:34 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
maycocksean, I like you posting style...

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2006, 03:52 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I second that. You're very good with your posts. I read your newest thread, you've got a talent. I only hope after a few weeks I can post half as well as you.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:19 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Re: Re: A question for the FYM masses.

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

In a sense all of us on this forum have a certain amount of "arrogance" if you will. You have to be at least a little cocky to be as opinionated as we all are!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:11 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Frankly, my patience has run out. There is one path, and the conservatives have chosen the wrong one, in spite of all the education, progress, logic, philosophy, and blatant fact that modern civilization provides. In a pluralistic society, it is true that we are free to believe what we would like, and I would never once suggest shutting down dissenting thought through force. But if someone wants to use their constitutional right to believe that there's a leprechaun and a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I have my constitutional right to tell them that they're delusional and full of crap. And, likewise, while it is society's constitutional right to be racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, and misogynist in the privacy of their own home and in the realm of discourse, it is also my constitutional right to do everything in my power to prove them wrong when they try to legislate their ignorance and tyranny onto the rest of us.

After all, this is precisely what conservatives think of liberals. I'm merely returning the favor.

Melon
Are you "returning the favor" in response to individuals here or in life in general?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:00 PM
My money's on Melon.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: A question for the FYM masses.

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Are you "returning the favor" in response to individuals here or in life in general?
Life in general. But specific individuals here fit the bill, as well.

Melon
Old 07-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 06:00 PM
Re: A question for the FYM masses.

Quote:
Originally posted by maude
Why is it that on this forum prejudice is generally not tolerated in regards to sex, race, and religion, but when it comes to political affiliation, it becomes ok? Prejudice is the mark of an ignorant people and I have to wonder when I see otherwise intelligent posters on this forum, from both sides of the political spectrum, reduce so many interesting discussions into democart vs. republican bashing nonsense. If it's wrong to dismiss or show a lack of respect toward an individual based on their gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or religion, then isn't it just as wrong to do so based on their political "label"?
I take exception that things get reduced down to Democrats vs Republicans.

You are being prejudice againist me and the rest of the people that do not live in the US and are not dems or republicans. Just because I'm from Canada doesnt mean I have to be left out,

Give me a break!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 AM   #28
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

You are being prejudice againist me and the rest of the people that do not live in the US and are not dems or republicans. Just because I'm from Canada doesnt mean I have to be left out,

Give me a break!

I used to be neutral(ish). Years ago, I mean, and when I first started reading this. Then I began to learn and pay attention to much more than I perhaps had done before. Then I began to moderate and had to view things utterly neutrally, or at least try. I'm not sure when it started happening, but after a while I just could not ignore ideals and viewpoints which utterly stink. Am I always right? I dont know, and it isn't the point. I dont think I even listen anymore. I just get riled. If I had hackles they'd be raised. And why do I do this? Because I think some defunct self-torture chip in my brain burnt out back then some time, and I am still trying to just understand why some think the way you do here. I am extremely thankful that this forum is not real life. I used to get my back up when people said we act differently on here to real life. But now I accept that freely. I certainly do, and am not only not ashamed of that, but actually grateful. I dont want to see viewpoints like some which are professed on here offline as well. I dont want to have an FYM life. I can turn this computer off and pretend it doesn't exist when it reaches the point where I say 'this person must be joking!'. And I am grateful becuse I dont get my hackles up offline like on here. I dont see the person I wish I was able to demonstrate my point on gun control on.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

It is easier to discuss things in terms of labels than it is to discuss things in terms of ideas.

It is easier to discuss sets of ideas than to discuss the application of those ideas in a principled fashion.

This is an imperfect method of communication, the value of which depends on the consistent quality of the shared messages.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

It is easier to discuss things in terms of labels than it is to discuss things in terms of ideas.

It is easier to discuss sets of ideas than to discuss the application of those ideas in a principled fashion.

This is an imperfect method of communication, the value of which depends on the consistent quality of the shared messages.
Thanks for the thumbs up, but I've had to read your post seven times now and my head still hurts

I just put in a 14 hours shift, do you think I need to be subjected to such thinking

Great post!