346 similarities between christ and chrishna - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2004, 03:56 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:33 PM
That's why I assumed he was talking about hare krishna because of the date. You're right Martha, Hinduism is different. : ) By the way, I'm not far from being considered a scholar. I'm just a another chump whose read some stuff. I get this way sometimes...

I'm interested in the differences between religions — they're not all the same like some people think.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:12 PM   #17
She's the One

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Ok. But be open to the idea that they may not be as different as you might hope.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:15 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You're right. Hinduism, from what I know, still has a salvation plan that includes practicing good deeds and ceremonial rituals and obtaining knowledge and all that stuff, or obeying a certain deity. It can be obtained through any one of those. This is very different from Christianity. It's based on what you do, instead of what has been done for you. Through an acceptance of Christ and his sacrifice and the atoning of our sins, we're seen as "righteous" in God's eyes. There's nothing we can do to earn Salvation, you accept it as a gift. Hinduism's actually more of a belief system than a religion. I might be wrong but there's no "founder" of hinduism on record. Plus, like Hare Krishna, it believes in karma and reincarnation. I just see it as a very empty belief system, ya know? Where's the love? Forgiveness? The lyrics from "Grace" say it all — she travels outside of karma... I apologize if I'm beating anyone over the head with this, I don't mean to sound full of myself. It just means a lot to me.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:32 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
You're right. Hinduism, from what I know, still has a salvation plan that includes practicing good deeds and ceremonial rituals and obtaining knowledge and all that stuff, or obeying a certain deity. It can be obtained through any one of those. This is very different from Christianity. It's based on what you do, instead of what has been done for you. Through an acceptance of Christ and his sacrifice and the atoning of our sins, we're seen as "righteous" in God's eyes.

Yeah, but to accept Christ is also to live by his teachings, so accepting Christ and then blowing up the Murrah Federal building, or beating up gays, etc does not make you a Christian. It's easy to say "I accept Christ", but if you don't show it by your actions it's nothign but ahollow gesture
Old 12-02-2004, 04:38 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
That's your proof?
couldn't find a cheese sandwich or a shroud
Old 12-02-2004, 04:50 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Right on, brotha. But at the same time, if you're blowing up the Murrah Federal building or beating up gays, my guess is you haven't accepted Christ. You know? You're dead on about there being "Christians" out there who are only Christian by name. They give the faith a bad rap. But then again, all Christians are hypocrites anyway. We all strive to live a perfect, Christ-like life, but we can't. And God knows this, that's why Christ died in our place, for us, and payed the penalty of sin, death, so we didn't have to.
In terms of salvation, it only comes from accepting Christ and receiving forgiveness. Seeking to live by his teachings is the result of that, or the next step. But it's the first step, accepting him as your savior and Lord, that gets you into heaven. There's a tendancy for religions to put all the pressure on the person to achieve holiness. The fact is, God is the very definition of holy, therfore how can we, his lowly creation, be as holy as he is? Only by accepting his sacrifice. His son. His "sacrifical lamb". For me, as a Christian, I'll be the first to tell you I've done some very "Un-Christian" things, but we all do and God realized this. That's where forgiveness and grace come in, and they don't give us a right to sin. I can't go steal something and say "Oh, I'll just ask for forgiveness later." God deals with the condition of our hearts. If I justified sinning like that, or blew up a building or hated homosexuals, then he's going to deal with me where I'm at, which is with a sinful heart.
(wow, sorry to put you through all that
Old 12-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #22
She's the One

Quote:
You're right. Hinduism, from what I know, still has a salvation plan that includes practicing good deeds and ceremonial rituals and obtaining knowledge and all that stuff, or obeying a certain deity. It can be obtained through any one of those. This is very different from Christianity. It's based on what you do, instead of what has been done for you. Through an acceptance of Christ and his sacrifice and the atoning of our sins, we're seen as "righteous" in God's eyes. There's nothing we can do to earn Salvation, you accept it as a gift. Hinduism's actually more of a belief system than a religion. I might be wrong but there's no "founder" of hinduism on record. Plus, like Hare Krishna, it believes in karma and reincarnation. I just see it as a very empty belief system, ya know? Where's the love? Forgiveness? The lyrics from "Grace" say it all — she travels outside of karma... I apologize if I'm beating anyone over the head with this, I don't mean to sound full of myself. It just means a lot to me.
No. This post is pretty much right on target.

(Ok. This is how lame I am. I nearly capitalized target twice because I spend too much time there.)
Old 12-02-2004, 04:55 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That's a good one deep. I'll make you a grilled cheese if you want? Did you hear how old that one was that they put on eBay?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Target rocks. It's saving the planet from Wal-Mart.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:07 PM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Right on, brotha. But at the same time, if you're blowing up the Murrah Federal building or beating up gays, my guess is you haven't accepted Christ. You know?
Go tell McVeigh, or Pat Robertson, or Pat Buchanan. All supposed Christians.

As th epastor our church (Rick Warren) once said when asked what he thought Jesus would be doing if he came back today, "probably working in an AIDS hospice"

I think he should get together w. Bono.........
Old 12-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #26
Refugee

I love this topic, because I recently read a book called 'The Hiram Key" and it mentioned similarities in several religions that preceeding Christianity (Virgin's giving birth to babies, a peaceful human somehow being the offspring of a god, fables about floods and heroics, etc).

One of the main reasons I question all religions is because they so closely resemble ancient religions that we are told are paganistic or foolish concepts of the uncivilized. This connect to Krishna is yet another example and proves that religion is based on faith/stories dealing with mystical entities that watch over us.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #27
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
I love this topic, because I recently read a book called 'The Hiram Key" and it mentioned similarities in several religions that preceeding Christianity (Virgin's giving birth to babies, a peaceful human somehow being the offspring of a god, fables about floods and heroics, etc).

One of the main reasons I question all religions is because they so closely resemble ancient religions that we are told are paganistic or foolish concepts of the uncivilized. This connect to Krishna is yet another example and proves that religion is based on faith/stories dealing with mystical entities that watch over us.
Yes, I read "The World of Myth" which was a similar idea. Terribly misleading title, as they included real stories such as Joan of Arc.
They were only excerpts of various world myths/religious stories, but the similarities were mind-boggling.

My British friend (who's much more religous than I am) simply said "Well, I just think God has been trying to get his message across for a very long time." Which is a nice change from the fear or claims of evil one generally hears when discussing such things!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:23 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
One of the main reasons I question all religions is because they so closely resemble ancient religions that we are told are paganistic or foolish concepts of the uncivilized.
When we used to read OT Bible stories in elementary school religion classes, we always learned Ba'al was like some evil pagan God and people would dance around his statue and torture babies or do voodoo or whatever. Then I took some theology courses in college and really had some good laughs b/c some of the OT narratives are based on those of the OLDER Babylonian stories of Ba'al and such. Fortunately, I wasn't that shattered b/c I never placed my entire faith on the OT narratives anyway and I found the courses quite interesting. I never did like religion class in elementary school anyway!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:55 PM   #29
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Wow, I don't think they ever let us read the Old Testament, except for a few "kid friendly" stories like Adam and Eve, Joseph, Jacob and Esau, Moses, and the good shepherd psalm.

My strongest memory of religion class is our felt puppet show of Martin Luther and going "Diet of Worms? Who would eat worms?"
It would have been nice if the teacher had cleared that up for us third-graders.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:29 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Everything you wrote about Krishna and his history is INCORRECT.

from his spelling, his mother's name, friend's name and how Krishna forgave...., about Krishna's special friend, about birth of Krishna, about shepherds coming to visit, about how he died.., everything, everything...

Everything is WRONG.. its PLAIN and SIMPLE wrong

Where you got this stuff..