2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIV: May This Entertainment Never End - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #826
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,337
Local Time: 03:49 PM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIV: May This Entertainment Never End

:facepalm:

LN7 you're backing yourself in a corner.
Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #827
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 11,047
Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
:facepalm:

LN7 you're backing yourself in a corner.
Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

K, fine, BVS has spoken. I'm clearly a racist, sexist, xenophobic, islamophobic, self hating homosexual because I chose this corner of the room and backed into it. You know, because my view on who is responsible for social justice is different than yours.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #828
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 52,776
Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by an "exclusionary tone," Dave. I'm not excluding anyone. I've explicitly said that everyone has their role in order to create social justice. But if you think it's exclusionary to believe that someone from a minority group has an inherent better understanding of themselves versus someone who is trying to help them, I don't really know what to say.
Of course I don't have a better understanding and I have no idea where you got the idea that I was claiming to have a better understanding of a minority than the actual people themselves.

But you're doing the same thing - you're telling Muslims that they should take responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
He never means to be patronizing, he just can't help it. Sort of like the last time when he told me I didn't know what I was talking about in regards to my own family origins

I never said anyone had to "prove" themselves. Yes, WE have a responsibility. Every community who wants it to change has a responsibility to do their part. The mistake you're making here is that much like gump, you think you can inherently speak for them because of your understanding of them. But you can't ever actually fully understand them, because you're not them. The best you can do is do your part. Everyone has a part, from a broad perspective.

That doesn't mean every individual. That means every general perspective. Your point about white people doesn't mean anything. White people are fully accepted by the majority because they are the majority.
I didn't see that, sorry.

But I am really struggling to comprehend what the actual heck you're talking about.

You said Muslims have a responsibility. Why do you think this? That's incredibly unfair.
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #829
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 147,295
Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Oh c'mon. You guys are as monolithic as "the black community." Don't you have a spokesperson like they do?
Yes, the spokesperson is LN7. And I now call on him to exercise this responsibility and denounce DaveC.

That's how this works, right?
__________________
Axver is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #830
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 12,780
Local Time: 03:49 PM
(Couple posts deleted. Let's quit with the personal sniping, please.)
__________________
My business! | My hobby!
Diemen is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #831
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,116
Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
78830273519483
Indeed.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #832
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 11,047
Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Of course I don't have a better understanding and I have no idea where you got the idea that I was claiming to have a better understanding of a minority than the actual people themselves.



But you're doing the same thing - you're telling Muslims that they should take responsibility.







I didn't see that, sorry.



But I am really struggling to comprehend what the actual heck you're talking about.



You said Muslims have a responsibility. Why do you think this? That's incredibly unfair.

I wasn't saying you were claiming to have a better idea. I was simply saying that the discrepancy in understanding is why someone who gets dealt a minority stance in life has to speak for themselves.

I never said muslims should "take" responsibility for anything. I did say they have a responsibility [assumed to be to themselves]. A responsibility to educate us as to what Islam stands for. It's not unfair. Being in their position is unfair. Being treated poorly and unequally is unfair. Partaking in helping advance your social justice... it's not unfair if you can have a part in changing things and you don't try. But this isn't limited to just Islam. It's this way across the board, for any minority.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #833
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 52,776
Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
A responsibility to educate us as to what Islam stands for.

Well I disagree in the strongest possible terms. That's crap. It is not their responsibility to educate fucking idiots who are racist because they're ignorant.

If they WANT to do that, awesome.

But they don't have a responsibility to do so and I find that suggestion to be ridiculous.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #834
War Child
 
Hawkmoon269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lalaloopsy land
Posts: 879
Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I wasn't saying you were claiming to have a better idea. I was simply saying that the discrepancy in understanding is why someone who gets dealt a minority stance in life has to speak for themselves.

I never said muslims should "take" responsibility for anything. I did say they have a responsibility [assumed to be to themselves]. A responsibility to educate us as to what Islam stands for. It's not unfair. Being in their position is unfair. Being treated poorly and unequally is unfair. Partaking in helping advance your social justice... it's not unfair if you can have a part in changing things and you don't try. But this isn't limited to just Islam. It's this way across the board, for any minority.

So... according to you, if I identify myself as part of the Mexican minority in the US, it is my responsibility to educate you that I'm not a rapist??
__________________
Hawkmoon269 is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #835
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 18,700
Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
It is not their responsibility to educate fucking idiots who are racist because they're ignorant.
There's also the fact that, as we've seen numerous times this election cycle alone (and in many other examples throughout history), a person can do everything imaginable to educate and explain the facts about themselves and their community until they're blue in the face...

...and there's still going to be people who will refuse even then to acknowledge what they're saying is true. Obama produced his birth certificate and that wasn't enough for people who refused to believe he was born here. A Muslim could highlight all the positive aspects of their faith and their community and somebody will still insist the majority of them are terrorists, or sympathetic to terrorists. A gay couple can extol the virtues of their loving decades-long relationship and there's still going to be people insisting gay people want to destroy the sanctity of marriage.

And so on and so forth.

There are people out there who, once properly educated, will acknowledge how misguided/ignorant their beliefs had been up to that point and work to change their attitudes for the better, of course. But for some people, it's a lost cause, and any facts or logic or rational thought just go in one ear and out the other.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #836
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,359
Local Time: 01:49 PM
I've got to keep refreshing this thread to see all the good stuff before it's gone.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #837
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 11,047
Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon269 View Post
So... according to you, if I identify myself as part of the Mexican minority in the US, it is my responsibility to educate you that I'm not a rapist??

Definitely not what I was saying. At all.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #838
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 8,998
Local Time: 07:49 AM
Somewhat of a tangent here I admit, but people could also trouble themselves to read a book every now and then, and realise that there is no single simple thing that 'Islam' stands for. That sort of thinking might have sway with a highly centralised institution like the Roman Catholic Church, but far less so given the way that Islam has historically developed. I'm not getting into the more base 'muslim=terrorist' stuff, which is beneath contempt, and immune to any education campaign where those who want to believe it are concerned.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 PM   #839
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 11,047
Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Well I disagree in the strongest possible terms. That's crap. It is not their responsibility to educate fucking idiots who are racist because they're ignorant.

If they WANT to do that, awesome.

But they don't have a responsibility to do so and I find that suggestion to be ridiculous.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You're being very specific for a rather broad statement. It's not just "fucking idiots who are racist." It's everyone who isn't Muslim.

Look, we could go at this for days. I had a bunch more typed up in this response, but I think we should probably try to wrap this one up because either I'm not saying it clear enough, or seeing it from my perspective is simply out of the discussion. Let's just move on.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #840
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddam place
Posts: 41,820
Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Seriously?
Yes.





 
WTF
__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com