2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VII - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #511
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:41 PM
Bay Area Rapid Transit is a commuter rail system that extends out to locations ranging from thirty minutes to almost an hour out of the city (where I live). The one underground rail in San Francisco's MUNI system utilizes most of the same stations as BART and sits on top of it under Market street.

MUNI is comprised of street cars, historic cable cars (which you can now only ride by paying a single ticket special price), an extensive train system that goes underground from West Portal through to the Embarcadero and overground through a lot of the rest of the city and, finally, the extremely slow and unreliable buses that make up the bulk of the network.

Beyond the city's small size (and weirdly twisting streets in some areas), it's the traffic that is the major issue. Despite an influx of hipsters in the past and carless techies now, the city has still attracted too many yuppies that want to drive, including morning commuters that spend two or more hours driving into the city (even though a lot of them could just ride BART instead). San Francisco's game plan for years now has been to do everything they can to make it miserable for these drivers, but it still hasn't stopped congestion from rising. Meanwhile, the highways outside of the city and San Jose continue to see some of the nation's worst commute times and they're only getting worse.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #512
Blue Crack Addict

I drive but had to throw the MBTA into the mix.

Their incompetency last winter added 20 minutes to my morning commute for 2 months because so many folks had to drive who normally took the train for that period of time coming from south of Boston.

MBTA’s February emails show problems went beyond snow

Despite loud protests, MBTA board OKs fare hikes | Local News - WCVB Home

MBTA official says service cuts still an option | WWLP.com

Old 04-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #513
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

In Osaka, only one line of the subway is making profits. and there are 7 or 8 lines total. see? Asian people aren't always productive or efficient.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #514
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
I still don't see what's offensive in saying that Clinton has a lot of older women supporters that really want to see a woman in the white house or that a lot of black voters see Clinton as the third-term of an Obama Presidency (something of which there has been ample evidence to support and it's exactly why Clinton went through the trouble of mentioning the guy constantly in the South Carolina debate and the ones right before that). Whites in the South voted for the Republican nominee for President by a nearly 9-to-1 margin recently, but I don't think anybody will call me out on mentioning that.

Except that's not what you said, you accused both groups of not knowing the issues and blindly voting. Your implication was that the only people who knew the issues and were thinking were Sanders supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 04-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #515
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
In Osaka, only one line of the subway is making profits. and there are 7 or 8 lines total. see? Asian people aren't always productive or efficient.

That is a stereotype. We're taught to tremble in awe at Japanese public transportation. Bullet trains and such.

I've never been. It's quite high on my list of places to go.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #516
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
That is a stereotype. We're taught to tremble in awe at Japanese public transportation. Bullet trains and such.

I've never been. It's quite high on my list of places to go.
yeah the fact that there is virtually no delay and all that is pretty impressive, I must say. But outside of Tokyo, the craziness of public transformation isn't all that extreme (there aren't insane crowds or swarm of people in train stations if you're not at Tokyo).
Old 04-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #517
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Except that's not what you said, you accused both groups of not knowing the issues and blindly voting. Your implication was that the only people who knew the issues and were thinking were Sanders supporters.

come on, BVS, this thread is about public transportation now, why are you talking about politics?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #518
Blue Crack Addict

SEPTA is fine. The design of its railways doesn't exactly match the way the population has settled in (my hometown of 105,000 has no train, for example), and it runs way too slow and too infrequently on its regional rails, but the downtown subways are pretty reliable and efficient.

Amtrak in Philly is the problem, safety-wise. Two significant incidents in a year. Things aren't going well.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #519
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
come on, BVS, this thread is about public transportation now, why are you talking about politics?

I have a jet pack, I don't commute with the common people.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #520
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

also, this happens in Japan: Japan tube drivers seek damages after bonuses trimmed in beard row | World news | The Guardian

still, I love subway in Osaka; no way I can hate my hometown
Old 04-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #521
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

Japanese transit is not all that safe however:

Old 04-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #522
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Bay Area Rapid Transit is a commuter rail system that extends out to locations ranging from thirty minutes to almost an hour out of the city (where I live). The one underground rail in San Francisco's MUNI system utilizes most of the same stations as BART and sits on top of it under Market street.

MUNI is comprised of street cars, historic cable cars (which you can now only ride by paying a single ticket special price), an extensive train system that goes underground from West Portal through to the Embarcadero and overground through a lot of the rest of the city and, finally, the extremely slow and unreliable buses that make up the bulk of the network.

Beyond the city's small size (and weirdly twisting streets in some areas), it's the traffic that is the major issue. Despite an influx of hipsters in the past and carless techies now, the city has still attracted too many yuppies that want to drive, including morning commuters that spend two or more hours driving into the city (even though a lot of them could just ride BART instead). San Francisco's game plan for years now has been to do everything they can to make it miserable for these drivers, but it still hasn't stopped congestion from rising. Meanwhile, the highways outside of the city and San Jose continue to see some of the nation's worst commute times and they're only getting worse.

Okay so it's BART that's mad expensive (and still slow as fuck), and MUNI that was absolutely disgusting.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #523
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Amtrak in Philly is the problem, safety-wise. Two significant incidents in a year. Things aren't going well.

I'm not so sure that that's quite true. If anything, is sheer coincidence and just bad luck of the draw. Your chances of being in an Amtrak accident aren't any higher.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #524
Blue Crack Distributor

The MTA opened up its first new station in 30 years about 5 months ago. It's leaking already.

The second Avenue subway was supplied to open last year. It's not. It was first brought up in the 1920s.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #525
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Japanese transit is not all that safe however:
well I'm from Osaka so I should be immune to this