2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
and this is why bernie sanders supporters annoy the hell out of me. Hell, i think they annoy him as well.
this

Old 02-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Clinton gets old people that are barely informed.

Clinton gets rich people that call themselves Democrats but don't want to pay higher taxes.

Clinton supposedly also has black people in her camp thanks to being associated with the Obama administration, but we'll see what happens when South Carolina rolls around.

That's it.
This is as simplistic and dismissive as Irvine's post. Clinton's supporters are more diverse than you realize (Democrats in general are much more diverse than Republicans in the first place, but I digress). I think there are Clinton supporters who like that she has foreign policy experience and diplomatic relations already established because of that. She has worked in multiple branches of government. She is, in theory, a more appealing option for centrists because her ideas are not "radical" and "far left" like Bernie's. The job won't be too big for her, and there is comfort in that in the minds of a lot of people.

There is a very real and legitimate fear that if Sanders is the Democratic nominee that all hell will break loose and we could end up with a Republican president and a disastrous next four years of foreign policy blunders and a crippling swing in the Supreme Court.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
And this is why Bernie Sanders supporters annoy the hell out of me. Hell, I think they annoy him as well.
I like Bernie, but yeah, his supporters can definitely be rather...forceful.

Mind, that whole thing recently with Gloria Steinem and Madeleine Albright in regards to why women should support Hilary left a rather sour taste in my mouth, too. People getting pushy in their stumping for any candidate is pretty obnoxious.

Quote:
To be honest, I can't get excited about this election at all, as opposed to 2008. Can we just have a 3rd Obama term, please?
I kinda feel the same way. I'm voting Democrat no matter who wins the nomination, but there's not the excitement for it that there was with Obama. I was honestly excited to get out and vote for him in 2008, and I was happy to vote for him again in 2012. I wouldn't complain about him sticking around longer if such a thing were possible.

(Or, barring that, if we could get Michelle to be president somehow. I'd be all for her running the country, too.)
Old 02-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
I'm saying I like Ted Cruz and would vote for him.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd vote for Ted as well. I don't vote for Democrats.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I like Bernie, but yeah, his supporters can definitely be rather...forceful.

Mind, that whole thing recently with Gloria Steinem and Madeleine Albright in regards to why women should support Hilary left a rather sour taste in my mouth, too. People getting pushy in their stumping for any candidate is pretty obnoxious.

I kinda feel the same way. I'm voting Democrat no matter who wins the nomination, but there's not the excitement for it that there was with Obama. I was honestly excited to get out and vote for him in 2008, and I was happy to vote for him again in 2012. I wouldn't complain about him sticking around longer if such a thing were possible.

(Or, barring that, if we could get Michelle to be president somehow. I'd be all for her running the country, too.)
Yeah, don't even get me started on Steinem. Like I said, I'm voting Hillary in the Primary, but it's insulting to say women can't make up their own damn minds about a candidate. I don't vote for a candidate just because they are a woman, or Latina/o, or have brown eyes. I vote because I believe they are the best person for the job. Would it be great to see a woman be president? Yes, as long as it's not Palin, Bachman, Fiorino, etc.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I find it somewhat thoughtless and very inaccurate to compare Sanders and his supporters to the Tea Party.

I don't. At least not some of his supporters. The intensity and rigidity and demonization of Hillary would make a Republican proud.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Exactly, trojan.

And that clip of Gloria on Bill Maher's show talking about how young women are going to the Bernie rallies to meet boys, implying they're not taking this as seriously? Like, WTF kind of reasoning is that ?
Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Whatever the source, they're still rolling in cash - and fixated on it or on sourcing donations - compared to here. It's weird looking at how often American pollies ask for money. You won't hear that much here, what with public campaign funding, donation limits, etc.

Interesting. In the US cash is needed to purchase blocks of commercial advertising in different media markets. Rates vary based on city size and time of day that an ad airs. That's where most of our money goes. Add to that jet travel across a large country. It's the model of our system here, not sure how much it resembles yours.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I don't. At least not some of his supporters. The intensity and rigidity and demonization of Hillary would make a Republican proud.
I haven't seen much of it. The only people I've noticed noticing it are people actively looking for it.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
I'd vote for Ted as well. I don't vote for Democrats.

Same. I also agree with Cruz on nearly every policy out there. I met him whenever he was running for senate in 2012 and I've been a big fan ever since. Since Rand Paul is out, I'm still deciding between him and Rubio on March 1.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Exactly, trojan.

And that clip of Gloria on Bill Maher's show talking about how young women are going to the Bernie rallies to meet boys, implying they're not taking this as seriously? Like, WTF kind of reasoning is that ?

They'll be disappointed when they get to the Bernie rally only to find Pajama Boy
Name:  ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1455127745.237805.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  5.6 KB

Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
It's fairly ridiculous.

My husband, who is typically a conservative voter, though he has on occasion voted for the Greens, is a very strong fiscal conservative who doesn't care at all about social issues. He is on the liberal side of social issues but doesn't attach great importance to them when he votes, he's much more concerned about debt, deficits and the economy. He is an economist who works for an international bank. And he will flat out tell you that in his opinion (keep in mind this is a man who does not vote for left or centre-left parties as a general rule), everything Bernie Sanders says about the financial world and income inequality is 100% correct, the issue really is whether his plans/ideas for fixing it could make things even worse. And it's not a secret either among financial elites that they pretty much recognize the same.

So the idea that he is some lunatic or his followers are comparable to Tea Partiers who share e-mails of the Obamas looking like monkeys and who want to keep Muslims out and build walls to keep Mexican racists out and are paranoid about Sharia Law is frankly very laughable.

Obviously it's not an exact comparison, but the demanding of purity from a candidate and charges of RINO-ism are absolutely the same blueprint. In my various travels through the internet you se the same witchy, cackling pictures of HRC posted by Sanders supporters that would make good old diamond proud. There's also a strong current of "the corporate media lies!" straight out of the Tea Party playbook.

The goals are different but the tactics are the same. We have posters in these threads giving us exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Fuck Ted Cruz. Beyond having horrible policy positions, anyone who has spent more than a little time with him seems to be in agreement that he is a nightmare of a human being.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This is as simplistic and dismissive as Irvine's post.

but this is exactly the point i was making.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Quote:
Fuck Ted Cruz. Beyond having horrible policy positions, anyone who has spent more than a little time with him seems to be in agreement that he is a nightmare of a human being.

Who says that? Trump? Republican establishment? Liberals? Of course they do. Everyone in Washington hates him because he's taking the Washington machine head on and winning. We would be blessed as a nation to have Ted Cruz as our next president.