2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Sanders is raising $1,000 a second at the moment looking at the donations coming in to his campaign. That would be $3.6 million in an hour and $86.4 million if that held for an entire day.

If everybody quadrupled the amount they've already given to his campaign (by giving $108 more dollars on average compared to the $27 they've received from the average donor), the Sanders campaign would raise four times more than what they have in the entirety of their campaign...and asking people to pony up $100 isn't that big of an ask, really.

He already out raised Clinton by $5 million in January and is now outspending her heavily on advertisements in Nevada. Clinton's campaign has a higher burn rate and spent almost half its money in Iowa alone, so she could be looking at some empty bank accounts real soon...just like in 2008.




And just in the time it took me to write that comment, Sanders is now getting about $2,000 a second.

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers(you're off by a million compared to everything I've read), and you're extremely disconnected when it comes to projecting future funds. But I'm curious as to why this win has you so excited? Wasn't this win pretty much a given? This really isn't the test some are making it out to be.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,966
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Clinton gets old people that are barely informed.

Clinton gets rich people that call themselves Democrats but don't want to pay higher taxes.

Clinton supposedly also has black people in her camp thanks to being associated with the Obama administration, but we'll see what happens when South Carolina rolls around.

What about people who think that:

- A $15/hour minimum wage is actually kind of drastic, and likely to damage the employment prospects of the young and the poor

- A tax on "speculative Wall Street transactions" is an absurd way to finance things that will bring in not much net revenue while hurting marking liquidity

- "Auditing the Fed" or whatever the hell Bernie is peddling is scary

- In the long term, free trade raises standards of living for all parties

- "Breaking up the banks" would create little realistic risk-reduction (especially in a post-Volker world) at a reasonably large economic cost

- But the welfare state shouldn't be gutted, same-sex marriage should remain legal, Roe v. Wade should be protected, a ten percent flat tax or whatever is a moronic idea, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
digitize is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,477
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
He means Rafael Eduardo "Ted" Cruz


I think a big takeaway from tonight is that Trump outperformed his polling. He is a movement candidate, a vessel to overthrow the DC party apparatus. Bernie mirrors this on the Democratic side. The American public is out muscling the political class. All of this made possible through the Internet and social media. A true inflection point in American political history if Trump and Sanders continue their rise.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
He is a candidate without a single idea who's backed up on the shoulders of idiots and racists.

But you are right in that the American public is tired of politics as usual. Which is why we're ready for a legitimate third party candidate.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,477
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
What about people who think that:

- A $15/hour minimum wage is actually kind of drastic, and likely to damage the employment prospects of the young and the poor

- A tax on "speculative Wall Street transactions" is an absurd way to finance things that will bring in not much net revenue while hurting marking liquidity

- "Auditing the Fed" or whatever the hell Bernie is peddling is scary

- In the long term, free trade raises standards of living for all parties

- "Breaking up the banks" would create little realistic risk-reduction (especially in a post-Volker world) at a reasonably large economic cost

- But the welfare state shouldn't be gutted, same-sex marriage should remain legal, Roe v. Wade should be protected, a ten percent flat tax or whatever is a moronic idea, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference



If it's Sanders vs Trump or Cruz, Bloomberg can take the Hillary vote and a large contingent of the supporters of the three governors.

He can also take Republicans who may not agree with all of his social stances but damn sure don't want a socialist or a tea party candidate in office.

If Hillary wins (which I still think she does), Bloomberg has no chance and stays out and/or enters but drops out when he sees that he can't win.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,966
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post



If it's Sanders vs Trump or Cruz, Bloomberg can take the Hillary vote and a large contingent of the supporters of the three governors.

He can also take Republicans who may not agree with all of his social stances but damn sure don't want a socialist or a tea party candidate in office.

If Hillary wins (which I still think she does), Bloomberg has no chance and stays out and/or enters but drops out when he sees that he can't win.

I would greatly prefer Uncle Bloomberg to Sanders, but I'd also prefer Sanders to Cruz/Trump. So I'm torn about Bloomberg entering if those are our other options.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
digitize is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
- In the long term, free trade raises standards of living for all parties
Wait, isn't Hillary now against the TPP?
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,501
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
What about people who think that:

- A $15/hour minimum wage is actually kind of drastic, and likely to damage the employment prospects of the young and the poor

- A tax on "speculative Wall Street transactions" is an absurd way to finance things that will bring in not much net revenue while hurting marking liquidity

- "Auditing the Fed" or whatever the hell Bernie is peddling is scary

- In the long term, free trade raises standards of living for all parties

- "Breaking up the banks" would create little realistic risk-reduction (especially in a post-Volker world) at a reasonably large economic cost

- But the welfare state shouldn't be gutted, same-sex marriage should remain legal, Roe v. Wade should be protected, a ten percent flat tax or whatever is a moronic idea, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference


we may be witnessing the rise of the left wing Tea Party. purity uber alles.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: southwest USA
Posts: 3,302
Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
You mean a president with the last name Cruz, not Ted Cruz as President of the United States. Right?

I'm saying I like Ted Cruz and would vote for him.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
we may be witnessing the rise of the left wing Tea Party. purity uber alles.
I find it somewhat thoughtless and very inaccurate to compare Sanders and his supporters to the Tea Party.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mrs. Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: pig farming in Bolivia
Posts: 7,223
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You should do some research on the Pauls. Ron published white supremacy bs in his biographies and then made up a lie about how he never knew that was in his book until years later when he ran for presidency.

He was also bought out by big tobacco to create the first "tea party", there's still a group of libertarians that believe smoking has no link to cancer.

Do your research.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Ron wasn't running this time around. Hillary supported the Iraq War but that's not going to stop you from voting for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
I would be very happy with a President Cruz. I hope Bloomberg runs.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
I'm saying I like Ted Cruz and would vote for him.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
You have obviously lost your mind
__________________
Mrs. Garrison is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I find it somewhat thoughtless and very inaccurate to compare Sanders and his supporters to the Tea Party.
It's fairly ridiculous.

My husband, who is typically a conservative voter, though he has on occasion voted for the Greens, is a very strong fiscal conservative who doesn't care at all about social issues. He is on the liberal side of social issues but doesn't attach great importance to them when he votes, he's much more concerned about debt, deficits and the economy. He is an economist who works for an international bank. And he will flat out tell you that in his opinion (keep in mind this is a man who does not vote for left or centre-left parties as a general rule), everything Bernie Sanders says about the financial world and income inequality is 100% correct, the issue really is whether his plans/ideas for fixing it could make things even worse. And it's not a secret either among financial elites that they pretty much recognize the same.

So the idea that he is some lunatic or his followers are comparable to Tea Partiers who share e-mails of the Obamas looking like monkeys and who want to keep Muslims out and build walls to keep Mexican racists out and are paranoid about Sharia Law is frankly very laughable.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
Ron wasn't running this time around. Hillary supported the Iraq War but that's not going to stop you from voting for her.
I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

I was commenting on someone's obsession with a politician.

I've admitted my vote is not an enthusiastic one this time around.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
I think Bloomberg hurts the Dems more than GOP. He probably wouldn't carry a state. He's not a known figure outside the NY-DC power corridor. His pro gun control, climate stance, nanny state controls will not endear him to any republicans barring spurned Rockefellerian Bush Donors bent on payback.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
NO NANNY STATE! Well unless you're Muslim, then we want you tracked and monitored at all times.

And dammit we're going to keep our lips firmly planted on the ass of the NRA and bury our heads in the sand when it comes to science. This is how we make America great again.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
It's fairly ridiculous.

My husband, who is typically a conservative voter, though he has on occasion voted for the Greens, is a very strong fiscal conservative who doesn't care at all about social issues. He is on the liberal side of social issues but doesn't attach great importance to them when he votes, he's much more concerned about debt, deficits and the economy. He is an economist who works for an international bank. And he will flat out tell you that in his opinion (keep in mind this is a man who does not vote for left or centre-left parties as a general rule), everything Bernie Sanders says about the financial world and income inequality is 100% correct, the issue really is whether his plans/ideas for fixing it could make things even worse. And it's not a secret either among financial elites that they pretty much recognize the same.

So the idea that he is some lunatic or his followers are comparable to Tea Partiers who share e-mails of the Obamas looking like monkeys and who want to keep Muslims out and build walls to keep Mexican racists out and are paranoid about Sharia Law is frankly very laughable.
It'd be great if we could be debating the merits of Sanders' proposed solutions instead of whether or not there is even a problem, but here we are. I still find it hard to support Hillary simply because she's more electable.

And apparently Hillary's new strategy is to attack Sanders on his support for Israel, so her desperation is starting to show. I guess Mark Penn thinks this is a good idea for moving the conversation away from the economy since it's a losing battle for Hillary?
__________________
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,091
Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Clinton gets old people that are barely informed.

Clinton gets rich people that call themselves Democrats but don't want to pay higher taxes.

Clinton supposedly also has black people in her camp thanks to being associated with the Obama administration, but we'll see what happens when South Carolina rolls around.

That's it.
And this is why Bernie Sanders supporters annoy the hell out of me. Hell, I think they annoy him as well.

To be honest, I can't get excited about this election at all, as opposed to 2008. Can we just have a 3rd Obama term, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I just have a hard time believing that the country would vote for Trump, Cruz, or for that matter, Sanders.

I think if he gets involved and is allowed to run heads up against a socialist and a fucking clown car, Bloomberg is all of a sudden going to look pretty damn good to a lot of people. And he'll do very well I battle ground states like Florida,

Of this cycle has taught is anything so far, it's that America is ready for an outside, non establishment candidate. So why not be ready to vote for a third party candidate?
The problem is with our fucked up Electoral College, they just have to have strategic states vote for them. Just get a few key swing states like Ohio, Virginia and Florida and boom, the US goes to hell.
__________________

__________________
trojanchick99 is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com