2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11 - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #316
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
What the conservatives think is that Democrats want to leave Iraq and Afghaninstan too soon so they rip each other apart and then they can blame Bush. Then the next time America gets attacked it won't go to war at all.
Much like your thoughts that Iraq is for the most part won and that it's already been handed off, you're wrong.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but I would ask for your money back if you're subscribing to someone.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #317
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
.

What the conservatives think is that Democrats want to leave Iraq and Afghaninstan too soon so they rip each other apart and then they can blame Bush. Then the next time America gets attacked it won't go to war at all.

That may be what conservatives think dems want, but they'd be wrong.
__________________

__________________
toscano is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #318
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,886
Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Finally some tough questions on the Democratic ticket.

YouTube - Barney Frank: Plenty of rich people that we can tax

Ouch!

The next four years will be fun.
At this point, the chairman of the House Financial Services Committee has to be completely discredited. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be leaving anytime soon.
__________________
Bluer White is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #319
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
That may be what conservatives think dems want, but they'd be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Much like your thoughts that Iraq is for the most part won and that it's already been handed off, you're wrong.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but I would ask for your money back if you're subscribing to someone.
I hope you guys are right because there are some real bad guys out there that look at the U.S. as particularly weak right now in the election cycle and look at Obama as weak. If Obama is a tough guy and will stand up to enemies then I'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't think the western world can take a declining U.S. if all the other superpowers are dictatorships. Of course I can't overlook that when threats become closer or more eminent people tend to perk up and get tough.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
they didn't like it the first time, but maybe they'll like it when you post it.
Thanks! Youtube to the rescue!
__________________
purpleoscar is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #321
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I hope you guys are right because there are some real bad guys out there that look at the U.S. as particularly weak right now in the election cycle and look at Obama as weak.
It's not nice to talk about McCain that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
If Obama is a tough guy and will stand up to enemies then I'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't think the western world can take a declining U.S. if all the other superpowers are dictatorships. Of course I can't overlook that when threats become closer or more eminent people tend to perk up and get tough.
If by "tough guy" you mean saber rattling and preemptive wars then you'll probably remain unsatisfied.


Tough guy:

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #322
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I hope you guys are right because there are some real bad guys out there that look at the U.S. as particularly weak right now in the election cycle and look at Obama as weak. If Obama is a tough guy and will stand up to enemies then I'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't think the western world can take a declining U.S. if all the other superpowers are dictatorships. Of course I can't overlook that when threats become closer or more eminent people tend to perk up and get tough.
Do you honestly think Obama is just going to roll over if the US is threatened and/or attacked?
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #323
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,422
Local Time: 10:18 AM
Exactly.
But that's what McCain's whole campaign has been based on.
It's mind-numbing.
__________________
JOFO is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #324
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 04:18 AM
It reminds me of the people saying "thank God it was George Bush in the White House on 9/11 and not Al Gore."

Because Al Gore would've surrendered?
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #325
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 05:18 AM
Actually there is a good deal of eveidence that a response by Gore. Al Qaeda had attacked and attacked over the entire Clinton administration with a week response. 9/11, in my opinion is a prime example of what happens when you ignore the problem for eight years. This statement does not mean the Bush Admin, was not somewhat responsible as well, but I see no evidence that there would have been as decisive action due to eight years of the Clinton/Gore cupation of the White House.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #326
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Do you honestly think Obama is just going to roll over if the US is threatened and/or attacked?
It's an actual concern. Al Qaeda looks at the U.S. as a country that doesn't finish what it starts. I'm talking about what the enemy thinks. People on this board are expecting Iraq to fall apart into 3 countries. America may not roll over at first but they might get tired and get tempted to give up. Bosnia was the last success. Vietnam, Somalia, maybe Iraq and Afghanistan are not.

There's this sense that if the enemy keeps piling on the will of the public weakens, especially with a downbeat media. When the U.S. leaves both wars, especially if it is right away, the enemy will be enboldened. Then they will look at that as a victory and all they have to do is perservere by waiting the U.S. out. Conservatives are concerned about that. They fear Jimmy Carter the sequel.

One thing benefiting the U.S. is that the economy in the U.S. is not the only one financially distracted but it is all over the world as well. I hope that it will cool things off with Russia who relies on the high price of oil, and Iran.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #327
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
It's an actual concern. Al Qaeda looks at the U.S. as a country that doesn't finish what it starts. I'm talking about what the enemy thinks.
Interesting. I wasn't aware you were a spokesman for Al Qaeda.

Quote:
People on this board are expecting Iraq to fall apart into 3 countries.
Really? On what are you basing that rather large assumption? Or... name one person on this board who thinks that. Or... perhaps you could try staying away from telling people what their expectations are or what they think.

Quote:
There's this sense that if the enemy keeps piling on the will of the public weakens, especially with a downbeat media. When the U.S. leaves both wars, especially if it is right away, the enemy will be enboldened.
I agree that if we leave right away there will be problems. However, Obama has already made it clear that he's not just going to pick up and leave - and indeed he's been one of the few leading the push for more troops in Afghanistan, so I don't quite understand where this concern comes from that we're just going to up and leave in both countries.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #328
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Actually there is a good deal of eveidence that a response by Gore. Al Qaeda had attacked and attacked over the entire Clinton administration with a week response. 9/11, in my opinion is a prime example of what happens when you ignore the problem for eight years. This statement does not mean the Bush Admin, was not somewhat responsible as well, but I see no evidence that there would have been as decisive action due to eight years of the Clinton/Gore cupation of the White House.
You're right, Al Qaeda had attacked US interests during the Clinton administration without much in the way of strong responses to Al Qaeda itself, but they didn't attack us at anywhere near the level of magnitude of 9/11.

Though we're clearly delving into some huge hypotheticals here, personally I think that any president, regardless of party, would have responded to 9/11 by going after Al Qaeda and Bin Laden. Clinton, Gore, Hillary, Bush, McCain, etc - there's no doubt in my mind that there would have been similar operations into Afghanistan to capture Bin Laden and eradicate Al Qaeda. Where the differences lie in my mind is in what would have happened concurrently with that, and what would have happened after that.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,422
Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Actually there is a good deal of eveidence that a response by Gore. Al Qaeda had attacked and attacked over the entire Clinton administration with a week response. 9/11, in my opinion is a prime example of what happens when you ignore the problem for eight years. This statement does not mean the Bush Admin, was not somewhat responsible as well, but I see no evidence that there would have been as decisive action due to eight years of the Clinton/Gore cupation of the White House.

This kind of thing drives me up the wall, and I've been hearing it for years now.
Dread, do you know who was president of the United States on 9/11? Bill Clinton? Nope. Al Gore? Nope. Bozo the Clown? Close. But no, it was George W. Bush, who had BEEN president of the United States for a full nine months before the attack. It happened ON HIS WATCH. Even though he constantly likes to say things like "Not on my watch". Therefore, it was HIS responsibility to have prevented the attack. The buck stops here, as Reagan used to say. He was in charge. He was briefed a month before that Al Queda was a threat and was trying to use airplanes and fly them into buildings. Did the president put the country on a red alert? Nope. Did he step up the inteeligence agencies to do everything they could to find the suspects? Nope. Did Bush do ANYTHING regarding Al Queda nine months before the attack? NO.

Did Bill Clinton try to do anything about Al Queda during his presidency? Read for yourself:
t r u t h o u t | Clinton, 9/11 and the Facts

But I digress. Would ANY U.S. President roll over in a 9/11 event and do nothing. Of course not. But let me just remind you of what GWB HAS done:
Started two wars in two countries and yet has NOT CAUGHT Bin Laden.
Mission accomplished.
DO you want me to keep going on this? Because after listening to republican horse manure for the last eight years, I've got plenty.
__________________
JOFO is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #330
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,886
Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Interesting. I wasn't aware you were a spokesman for Al Qaeda.
I'm wondering how we know when you are a regular poster, and when you are a moderator?

With respect, of course.

- Bluer White
__________________

__________________
Bluer White is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com