10 years in prison for oral sex - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:09 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...611wilson.html

Wilson was originally charged with raping a 17-year-old at a party on New Year's Eve of 2003, but he was acquitted. He was ultimately found guilty of aggravated child molestation involving the 15-year-old girl. Four other male youths at the party pleaded guilty to child molestation of the 15-year-old and sexual battery of the 17-year-old. A fifth pleaded guilty to false imprisonment.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:09 AM
I guess I'm wondering what happened in the jury room. Jury's often make compromises in reaching a verdict. Due to sentencing guidelines is it possible that they found him guilty of this charge as a compromise. They seemed to think he deserved a 10 year sentence.

I think it's misleading to say this is just about consensual oral sex.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #93
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by redkat
I guess I'm wondering what happened in the jury room. Jury's often make compromises in reaching a verdict. Due to sentencing guidelines is it possible that they found him guilty of this charge as a compromise. They seemed to think he deserved a 10 year sentence.

First of all no one pleaded to rape, they pleaded to battery. They all got the molestation or statuatory convictions because the one girl was a minor, that charge is automatic, I can't see how that's a compromise. The jury found that the other wasn't rape.

The big WTF, is the fact that there can be a 10 year sentence for statuatory rape, that seems ridiculous. So what is misleading?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #94
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:

The jury did not know about the 10 year mandatory sentence until after they had reached their verdict. And they have spoken out about how unfair they feel the sentence was.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Didn't we just discuss this in the "dribbling vomit" thread? The 17 year old gangbang girl was drunk, therefore she can't give consent...hence rape. For whatever reason he got off on that charge, but was found guilty of the lesser one, the one involving the 15 year old (maybe the jury felt some sympathy for him). The other 5 guys copped out, this guy rolled the dice & went to trial. And lost.

And everybody feels sorry for him.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #96
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
The 17 year old gangbang girl was drunk, therefore she can't give consent...hence rape.
How drunk was she? How are you sure she was drunk?

Obviously the jury didn't think so
Old 06-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

I meant misleading thinking this was about consensual oral sex between a teenage couple. I'm in favor of changing the statutory rape laws or at least allowing discretion when used. He took part in something much worse that night.

After reading more details of what happened that night i have a hard time thinking of him as a victim as he has been portrayed so often by the media.

When I said pled to the rape I meant the original charge was rape and they pled to the lesser.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #98
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
He took part in something much worse that night.

In your opinion though, not in the eyes of the law.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

How drunk was she? How are you sure she was drunk?

Obviously the jury didn't think so
BVS I saw a piece on ESPN about this case, and I forget if they actually interviewed member(s) of the jury or just had quotes from them, but I distinctly recall that they found him guilty of the statutory rape charge as a compromise. I don't recall if they were divided on whether or not the gang rape actually happened, or if they assumed he'd do less time with a conviction for statutory rape and so chose to convict him on that charge. Then they realized the conviction carried that 10-year sentence.

Do you honestly think he was innocent of the gang rape charges? Doesn't the fact that the other guys copped out raise questions? I realize the jury cleared him on that one so legally he's 100% innocent, but if we're speaking in absolutes then conversely he committed a crime that carries a 10 year term, he ought to do the 10.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #100
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Do you honestly think he was innocent of the gang rape charges? Doesn't the fact that the other guys copped out raise questions?
No, I've never fell into that type of thinking. I've seen enough to know people will do a lot of things out of desperation especially when they are young and naive. THERE IS A LOT OF GRAY IN THIS CASE. When there is a lot of gray pleas are often the way to go, especially if you can't afford a good lawyer and you don't want your name dragged through the mudd.

The jury saw videotape, why couldn't they find it rape?

Quote:

I realize the jury cleared him on that one so legally he's 100% innocent, but if we're speaking in absolutes then conversely he committed a crime that carries a 10 year term, he ought to do the 10.
Wrong. The question isn't now if he committed a crime or not, it's if that crime should be punishable by 10 years? Do you realize how many of us in interference would have probably been guilty of this crime at one time or another? I know we didn't all wait till the age of consent(18 in my state), and I know many probably had boyfriends or girlfriend's who may have been a few months younger at that time. I would have had fallen in to that category for 6 months, if my girlfriend's parents didn't like me for any reason I'd been screwed...
Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Well after reading more about it I have doubts about this situation too, but the legal/jury system did what it did and that's how it goes. He may have taken part in something worse but as far as what he ended up charged with he didn't in the eyes of the law. There's speculation that the prosecutor keeps persuing this because he's angry that he didn't take the plea. That's just plain wrong. Prosecutors can go way over the line just like defense attorneys can.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...metwilson.html

Quote:
Genarlow Wilson should never have been criminally charged and imprisoned for receiving oral sex from a 15-year-old girl at a New Year's Eve party more than three years ago, the girl's mother says.

Veda Cannon said the sex between her daughter, Wilson and four other teens was consensual and regrets she didn't ask prosecutors not to charge them.
A bond hearing was set for July 5 for Genarlow Wilson, who is serving a 10-year term.

"I felt like Douglas County was trying to make an example out of these boys," Cannon, 39, of Douglasville, asserted Tuesday in what she said was her first interview about the case. "They should have been made to pay for their actions, but not to this severity," she said.

In a strange twist Wednesday, Cannon scrambled to soften some of Tuesday's comments following a visit to her home from a Douglas County prosecutor who had learned of her interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Responding to Cannon's assertions, county prosecutors said they suspect Cannon is bending to pressure from people supporting the defendants, an assertion she denied.

"Never once did she ever ask us not to prosecute this case," said Douglas County Assistant District Attorney Eddie Barker, who worked closely with Cannon during the case. "Where was she at when all of this was going on? Why is she just now telling you this three years later?"
Quote:
A bizarre series of events occurred Wednesday morning after Douglas prosecutors learned Cannon was speaking to the press. Cannon said Barker and a colleague soon showed up at her home with an audio recorder to discuss her comments to the AJC.

In a subsequent interview with the AJC, she raised concerns that she was being misquoted.

After that conversation, Douglas County District Attorney David McDade disclosed his office had taped Cannon's conversation with the AJC.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

cnn.com

The Supreme Court of Georgia has ordered the release of Genarlow Wilson, imprisoned as a teen-ager in a consensual-sex case.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #104
Blue Crack Distributor

http://news.aol.com/#20071026110309990001

Georgia's highest court orders the release of Genarlow Wilson, who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for having consensual sex with a 15-year-old girl when he was 17. The 4-3 ruling says the sentence amounted to cruel and unusual punishment.

the poll there shows 91% agree with the decision
Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #105
War Child

That's completely outrageous! This clearly wasn't an act of pedophilia, as both parties were consenting and there was only a two year difference.

It's sad that, in America, you can go to jail for having sex with your girlfriend. Sad, but true.