IO: American Airlines Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightninja56

War Child
Soooo first the Airlines loses one bag, then brings it to me at the lovely hour of 6:30 A.M. That is just great. Then I go through and see that around $250 worth of computer/iPod chargers, guitar equipment, etc. is gone. I call them up, and they put me on hold forever, then the lady decides they're not liable for any of it. Even though their employee(s) stole it. I checked and the liability only says they dont cover computers or software, or musical instruments not in a hard case. It doesn't specifically say anything about what i lost.

So i'm pretty mad. They said they'd put in my information and then I can file a claim or something.

Any tips? I really can't afford to buy all that stuff again right now. :mad:

i even had to postpone a meeting with Sicy because american airlines were late.

I don't know what to tell you, but my aunt had the DVD discs for her camcorder stolen from her bag. They were expensive, but not expensive enough to make a big deal out of it.
I'd consider $250 worth of stuff a BIG deal though.
Next time, check in everything that you would miss if it were permanently lost. Leave only replaceable things in your carry on bag.

BTW, American Airlines indeed does suck. I was delayed on both departing and arriving flights, the latter consisting of a one hour wait (on top of other delays) on the runway with absolute no excuse being told.

nightninja56 said:
sooooo

no tips then people?

:huh:

if i were you i'd file the claim. i'm sure they make it to be a real pain in the ass just to weed people out from doing it, but i think it is worth it. you should DEMAND your stuff back, or compensation for it. and if they are slow in replying do all you can to make it public i.e. blog about it, write editorials, leave comments on their web site, etc. embarrass the shit out of them.

I doubt you'll get anything back or any sort of compensation. Can you prove those things were in your bag? I'd write letters to both American and the BBB. That may help, but if they're not legally liable, I doubt they'll cave.

FYI - I flew American to London, and it was all good. British, however, managed to lose the baby's stroller on the connection. So we had to carry her for a day. :happy: She loved it.

I've flown American several times and (knock on wood) never had any problems with them. They even took fairly decent care of my skis, which I though they would completely trash.

Whenever I do fly, I make sure to carry anything of value on with me - iPod, digital camera, etc or bury it deep in my suitcase. I don't trust people enough to leave my valuables unguarded.

Yeah, it's crazy, I've been flying since I was a little kid, and the first time I fly by myself, etc., all this crap happens.

Argh.

File a complaint with your state's or county's department of consumer affairs. They will then act as arbitrator between you and the airline to resolve the issue. File a complaint with the FAA as well.

You're a ninja. Go hunt down the culprit and throw a shuriken at his shoulder. Then put a katana to his throat and stare at him with your cold ninja eyes until he comes clean. Then disappear into the night after you recover your stuff.

I wish I was a ninja. My only way to get back stolen goods is to eat trees and build dams. I stink. :(

UberBeaver said:
You're a ninja. Go hunt down the culprit and throw a shuriken at his shoulder. Then put a katana to his throat and stare at him with your cold ninja eyes until he comes clean. Then disappear into the night after you recover your stuff.

I wish I was a ninja. My only way to get back stolen goods is to eat trees and build dams. I stink. :(

yeah

ninjas > beavers

how sad for you

:wink:

nightninja56 said:
Any tips? I really can't afford to buy all that stuff again right now. :mad:

File the "pilferage" claim. NOW. You only have like 24 hours to do it.

BUT, like you "read" - this is still considered "computer" stuff or "electronics" and according to the tariffs that airlines work under, you have zero recourse. Even if you tried to sue. You enter a contract when you purchase the ticket.

American is no different from any airline flying out there. The complaints in this thread humor me...you could really insert ANY airline name into all of them. The same shit (delays, delayed luggage, people complaining about luggage being delivered at 6:30am after they told the agent the delivery service could deliver whenever they can get there).

Sadly, when it all comes down to it, the only thing that matters when most non-business travels (read = flying more than four or five times a year) fly is the price of the ticket. :(

Use those TSA approved Search Alert locks on your checked baggage. You can tell if someone has opened the baggage and you have PROOF at what point they were tampered with.

OR

Pack ultra light and carry everything on with you. THAT'S the ticket, if you can do it.

No AA flight I was ever on arrived on time, but I've had no other problems with them.

Air Canada once lost my suitcase - actually lost it, was never retrieved and I received some $860 for it. An uncle of mine is a pilot with them and said that statistically people recover about 50% of their claim (I guess the airline believes everyone is padding their claim which is probably true). Otherwise, I've had bags temporarily misplaced by Lufthansa twice (who once shipped my cousin's bag to Argentina instead of Frankfurt, Germany), Swissair (when it was still around) and KLM.

I knew you'd reply!

zonelistener said:

File the "pilferage" claim. NOW. You only have like 24 hours to do it.

BUT, like you "read" - this is still considered "computer" stuff or "electronics" and according to the tariffs that airlines work under, you have zero recourse. Even if you tried to sue. You enter a contract when you purchase the ticket.

American is no different from any airline flying out there. The complaints in this thread humor me...you could really insert ANY airline name into all of them. The same shit (delays, delayed luggage, people complaining about luggage being delivered at 6:30am after they told the agent the delivery service could deliver whenever they can get there).

Sadly, when it all comes down to it, the only thing that matters when most non-business travels (read = flying more than four or five times a year) fly is the price of the ticket. :(

I've been waiting for your response since I read the title of this thread. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom