Would you say HTDAAB is U2's third masterpiece?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I remember alot of talk about this before the album was released and we'd all spend hours every day talking about it. Some people predicted it would be their best ever, some predicted it would just be OK, some people wouldn't comment... blah blah blah.

Do you think this is in their top three albums along with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby? Do you think it lived up to the hype? Did it live up to your hype?

I lived up to my expectations. I was honestly a little skeptical as to how good it would be. While my favorite U2 albums aren't really considered the best, I consider this one of my favorites (along with Achtung Baby, Zooropa and ATYCLB) AND one of the most well made all around. It's kind of funny though because this album only has one of my favorite U2 songs (OOTS, this may change with time though). I think it's probably their third best album.

I didn't really think it was that spectacular at first. The individual songs were great, but it didn't really gel as an album for me. I've felt alot better as an album as a whole lately and I'm sort of rediscovering the greatness of some of the tracks (one of the signs of a great album IMO). My opinion on the album is only getting better! Easily one of my favorites.

Last edited:
i think it is. top to bottom, its one of their , if not the strongest. in my opinion at least.

It's a great album but not a masterpiece. There will never be another one I don't think. IMO there already are 3, UF, JT and AB.

This album is a masterpiece in that it is filled with some of U2's best songs.

I still don't think that it is the best at flowing together, but hut dab is a musically diverse and musically superior album.

IMO tied with Achtung Baby for best overall U2 album

Definitely U2's third masterpiece, behind The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. My opinion of the album hasn't dwindled in the slightest since I first heard it. If anything, it has gotten better.

I still believe that ATYCLB is their third masterpiece. The only thing keeping this album from being their 3rd masterpiece is that it came after ATYCLB. :)

Yes, I would. I rank it third, right behind Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree.

I had very high expectations for this album. I deliberately refused to listen to any of the leaked songs. The only ones I heard before November 23rd was Vertigo, and SYCMIOYO performed on Saturday Night Live. I took the day off work in order to be in line at Best Buy right when the doors opened. I had never done that before, and I was worried it would all have been for nothing.

But boy, does this album deliver. I was first struck by how strong the songs are. Then I was stunned by how powerful Bono's voice is. The lyrics spoke to me. The music moved me. I played it over and over the day it came out, and over and over on the days that followed.

So yeah, I think HTDAAB is a masterpiece.

I would say only Achtung Baby, Pop, The Joshua Tree, Zooropa, The Unforgettable Fire & ATYCLB are better than HTDAAB! Yep it's definetly in the top 7......at number 7!:wink:

If anything this is U2's fourth masterpiece. Joshua Tree, Acthung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind are the 3 others.

Rolling Stone Magazine had already covered this topic, ATYCLB is their third masterpiece. If ATYCLB was the earthquake, HTDAAB is the aftershock. POP were the animals running away forewarning the earthquake to come.

Cheers,

J

Masterpiece is too subjective. For example, JT is not a masterpiece in my world. Sorry - it was great in 1987, best of the year and one of the best of the 80's, but not an album I think of when I want to listen to U2. In other words, it's definitely in the lower half of my favorite U2 albums. However, I have to acknowledge that the rest of the world considers it a masterpiece. So whose opinion matters - mine or the rest of the world's?

Also, masterpieces need time. Even though JT isn't one of my favorites by U2, I realize its impact on music and the world. More importantly, I realize its lasting power. So by those terms, JT is a masterpiece.

But then, it could be argued the same of "Boy" (often considered one of the best debut albums ever - and "I Will Follow" is still a tremendously popular song), "War" ("Sunday Bloody Sunday" is a worldwide famous anthem and "New Year's Day" is one of U2's best), UF ("Pride" is memorialized on MLK Day, "Bad" is famous for its anti-drug sentiment, and more importantly, this album represented U2's first shift in style that brought more ambient music to the mainstream), and ATYCLB ("Beautiful Day" not only reinstated U2 as one of, if not the, world's biggest bands, but it's another famous anthem).

In other words, while everyone seems to agree that JT and AB are "masterpieces", if we examine why they are considered so, its due to their selling power, their influence on music, their hits and the quality of the album. As such, arguably all the U2 albums I listed have elements of masterpieces - and something like ATYCLB has it all (hits, selling power and influence). But the one thing the all have (with the possible exception of ATYCLB) is time - only time will truly determine if HTDAAB is a masterpiece. As of right now, it surely has the selling power and the hit and its already influential (in terms of the punk-rock sound, but also because of U2's innovative way of advertising it). Time will determine if it's up there with JT and AB.

Whew - that was wordy. Blizzards do that to a person. ;)

jick said:
Rolling Stone Magazine had already covered this topic, ATYCLB is their third masterpiece. If ATYCLB was the earthquake, HTDAAB is the aftershock. POP were the animals running away forewarning the earthquake to come.

Cheers,

J

Not really fair, Jick. Rolling Stone declared ATYCLB U2's "third masterpiece" when ATYCLB was released. Yet they still gave the album 4 stars (if I recall). This current review was wise enough to avoid the usage of "masterpiece" in the synopsis. But if pushed on the topic, RS might declare HTDAAB better than ATYCLB. Of course, we'll never know until years from now when RS puts out some book discussing such matters.

doctorwho said:

Not really fair, Jick. Rolling Stone declared ATYCLB U2's "third masterpiece" when ATYCLB was released. Yet they still gave the album 4 stars (if I recall). This current review was wise enough to avoid the usage of "masterpiece" in the synopsis. But if pushed on the topic, RS might declare HTDAAB better than ATYCLB. Of course, we'll never know until years from now when RS puts out some book discussing such matters.

I think Joshua Tree and Achtung also got 4 stars so they're in the same league. I don't think its a matter of stars but masterpiece to Rolling Stones talks more about being an epic album that will go down in U2-lore. With all the Grammies that album got under its belt, it should be U2's third masterpice in terms of critical and commercial success. But when it comes to subjective qualities like what the fans think about it, that is different.

Cheers,

J

U2_Guy said:
Is the Rolling Stone magazine the Bible?

They are hardly the Bible. When they ranked the 500 greatest songs, there were many U2 songs that shouldn't have been there while others that should have.

Cheers,

J

Jick, may i ask you mate, how old are you? I'm just curious and there's nothing behind my question (in case you get defensive).

This is a MASTERPIECE. We have to be sure of that, no doubt
HTDAAB is an amazing album, one of their best if not the strongest one

All That You Can't Leave Behind was another masterpiece.
It was Pop Rock at its very best
Extraordinary!

Incredible to see the great music the band has been making recently

The Ground beneath her feet
Vertigo
Sometimes
Beautiful Day
Kite
Electrical Storm
Original of the Species
Yahweh
Walk On
Stateless
When i look at the world
City of Blinding Lights

Celebrate it Know!!
Dont wait till 2016 to do that

Pop also will go down as the most incredible U2 albums
Gone
Please
Mofo
Do you feel loved
Wake up dead man

Wow!
I wanna hear Pop now!!

I think that before we declare this a masterpiece, let's have a tour and see how the songs play out live, and if they convey more feelings live than the studio versions do. I thought ATYCLB was a great album, when I first heard it. After 9/11 it became a classic. A eery prophetic classic... I still get chills whenever I listen to the show at Notre Dame in Oct of 2001.

My guess is that HTDAAB will have a similar effect live. I dunno, I think this might be one, if not THE, best tour ever.

i cant believe some of you are calling htdaab a masterpiece:huh:

when did the album come out/////// exactly dont jump to conclusions or your blind faith for u2!!!!!!!!!!!

U2_Guy said:
Jick, may i ask you mate, how old are you? I'm just curious and there's nothing behind my question (in case you get defensive).

I never get defensive but I really hate off-topic replies. Now I am getting off topic with this thread. You should ask this privately and I will answer you privately.

Sorry for being off topic.

Cheers,

J

Yes, it is the third masterpiece. Right next to The Joshua Tree. Achtung Baby is superior, but who can beat that, seriously? Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are the best songs the band has made in the last 12 years.

No its not a masterpiece. Its a great album and nothing more. I rank it 4th or maybe even 5th in U2's catalog.

djerdap said:
Yes, it is the third masterpiece. Right next to The Joshua Tree. Achtung Baby is superior, but who can beat that, seriously? Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are the best songs the band has made in the last 12 years.

In my opinion them 3 songs mentioned are not even in the top 20 all time U2 songs and for being better than Discotheque, Gone, Staring At The Sun, Stay, Numb, Kite, When I Look At the World, Walk On, Mofo, Do You Feel Loved, Last Night On Earth......to name just a few of the songs of the past 12 years, I don't think they are better than any of them songs. Still you have your opinion, and I have mine!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

In my opinion them 3 songs mentioned are not even in the top 20 all time U2 songs and for being better than Discotheque, Gone, Staring At The Sun, Stay, Numb, Kite, When I Look At the World, Walk On, Mofo, Do You Feel Loved, Last Night On Earth......to name just a few of the songs of the past 12 years, I don't think they are better than any of them songs. Still you have your opinion, and I have mine!:wink:

The only songs of the ones you listed that even compare with the three mentioned from HTDAAB are Stay and Kite.

At least it appears that R.S. fans have good taste

Calling an album a "masterpiece" just 8 weeks after it's release is too soon, so I agree with the folks who stated just that. I think R.S. jumped the gun on their review of ATYCLB. The Elevation
Tour, the lasting effects of the first 5 songs, and 7 GRAMMY awards, will probably end up making ATYCLB go down in history as one of U2's top 3 or 4 albums of all time when their career is over.

Rolling Stone is a rag, and I think they try to hard to follow trends with the 16-25 crowd in an effort to stay "current". However, you can't argue with their fans' taste after this recent poll, which is an indicator at least of how well HTDAAB has been received by FANS (in addition to sales). Green Day and Eminem ARE strong competitors, and to beat them both, and all others, across the board does indicate a very positive response to HTDAAB. So maybe it's a 2004 "masterpiece" at this point, compared to other top albums released last year, not against U2's back catalog.

dsmith2904 said:
U2 Sweep Rolling Stone Readers Poll

Readers of Rolling Stone magazine have made U2 'Best Band' and 'Artist of the Year' in their annual poll... and that's not all.

Readers voted 'Vertigo' as 'Best Single' - beating off competition from Franz Ferdinand ('Take Me Out') in second place.

They also elected 'How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' as 'Best Album', pipping Green Day ('American Idiot') as well as Brian Wilson ('Smile'), Franz Ferdinand ('Franz Ferdinand') and Eminem ('Encore').

And 'Vertigo' bagged 'Best Video' ahead of Gwen Stefani ('What You Waiting For?').

In the' Artist of the Year' category, U2 were No.1 ahead of Green Day and Ray Charles while in the 'Best Band' category they won ahead of Maroon 5 and Green Day.

And given that the band weren't touring last year, that they don't do Hip-Hop, weren't making a come-back and don't have a 'Female Performer'.... there really wasn't that much else to win!

--U2.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom