With or Without You (Shine Like Stars)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
This might be the lamest thread I've ever posted in EYKIW (and, as you read it, you'll know why I'm not here much), but you know that version of "With or Without You"? From Rattle and Hum? Where Larry does that cool drum thing and then Bono tacks on the "Yeah, we'll shine like stars..." ending?

I really, really like it.

See, that's all.

I told you it would be lame.

:slant:

My absolute favorite version of the song - and the impetus of my boyfriend's entire family becoming major U2 fans!!! :up:

WOWY on the JT and Lovetown Tours was absolutely incredible. I don't think the RAH performance is the best example of the Shine Like Stars verse (especially because it doesn't feature a snippet of Love Will Tear Us Apart), but it is absolutely, mindblowingly brilliant.

Shine Like Stars verse is an incredible addition to an already wonderful song. I heard dozens of WOWY versions from every tour and I actually do think that R&H version is one of the best versions of that verse. There's just something about Bono's voice... One of the biggest highlights of the Elevation Tour was the comeback of that verse.

Axver said:
WOWY on the JT and Lovetown Tours was absolutely incredible. I don't think the RAH performance is the best example of the Shine Like Stars verse (especially because it doesn't feature a snippet of Love Will Tear Us Apart), but it is absolutely, mindblowingly brilliant.

Never really cared for the "Love Will Tear Us Apart" snippet on the song. :|

1992 versions of this song are also fantastic. Especially on the Outside Broadcast leg. Check out versions from DC, Philadeplhia, Birmingham, Boston...all great.

This version of With or Without You and Bad, as well, were the main reasons why I paid a crazy amount of money for the Excerpts promo cd. Best version of WOWY!

its fantastic:) really passionate.

can bono still make those notes live do you think? and do you think it will be in their new tour?

i love the stars outro on with or without you. it's my favourite part.

that being said though, i also adore zoo sydney's version of with or without you.

After hearing Bono at Brooklyn Bridge, I have no doubt that Bono's vocals have returned to glorious heights. He can nail this song live again. I'm sure of it.

I do hope they do the outro for this tour, yes. As they added it back for a lot of the Elevation dates, I have no reason to suspect that they won't.

I was lucky enough to be in Montreal October of 2001 when they played that version of the song. I remember being bummed when they didn't play it in May, but they added that extra verse (which spawned One), and I nearly died I was so happy.

SMB

I love this part of WOWY from the last Elevation show (1st Leg) in NJ. I still listen to it over and over. It might be the best of any Elevation show I've heard.

yeah, i like it when he adds that part.

the intro loop that you hear should go on for 10 minutes before the song even starts. just like in bad, that sequencer sound could just go on...and on...it might even be my favourite part of the song.

Last edited:
I can replay that version of WOWY over and over again
It had become that I no longer can listen to the song on the JT album - I love the Rattle and Hum WOWY so much:reject:
Edge's "solo" also makes it wonderful

Back
Top Bottom