Wild Honey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcrt2000

Refugee
i was just thinking about this song for a second.. on how odd of a song it was, not very U2-like... then it hit me that this sounds like a song written by the Barenaked Ladies... while I like BNL i'm glad U2 didn't have any more songs like this on HTDAAB or else it would be too popish.. do you agree?

It's too pop, I like it but because they made that sound with only one song (oh well, there is stuck in a moment and sweetest thing but these are crap)

Lancemc said:
I hate the attitude on this board that U2 can't be too "pop".

That's because 90% of the people on this board don't know what Pop music is. They think it's Justin and Britney.

"Fool In The Rain" by Zeppelin is perfect pop.

"Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel is perfect pop.

"Changes" by David Bowie is perfect pop.

REM have a TON of perfect pop songs. As did The Beatles. As does Elvis Costello.

The list goes on, and on, and on.

Yet on interference, pop is Britney, and only Britney.

It reminds me of early Beatles and Simon/Garfunkel in the interplay of acoustic/electric guitar.

Well Wild Honey doesn't remind me of Brittany that much. It sounded great live on the Elevation Tour.

I like Wild Honey. Its light and breezy and makes you feel good, what's wrong with that? Not everything has to be heavy and carry some bigger message.

reminds me of van morrison. i don't think it sounds "pop" at all...if you define "pop" as the justin/britney stuff. IMHO it is one of the better songs on ATYCLB.

BEVERLY56 said:
I like Wild Honey. Its light and breezy and makes you feel good, what's wrong with that? Not everything has to be heavy and carry some bigger message.

:up: :up:

I also like Arms Around the world for the same reason.

I have no problem to see U2 make pop songs. They have great pop songs in my point of view, like HMTMKMKM, Mysterious Ways, Even Better Than the real thing, ...

What I don't like is those few songs in which they sound like a crappy boys band, songs that some people that aren't fans and only know U2 by MTV refer as great songs. I'm talking of Stuck in a moment and sweetest thing.

I don't think that of Wild Honey! Don't get me wrong, I like it, for the reasons that BEVERLY56 said.

Of course all of this is IMO, and I respect everyone who doesn't agree with me.

I agree that Wild Honey is great, classic, fun pop that remindes me a lot of something Van Morrison or a younger Rod Stewart would do.

Of course I always felt that ATYCLB would have been so much better had it gone more into the classic pop and soul direction.

pop's not bad but modern day pop (i.e britney) has lost all goodness that the old pop had (i.e Beatles)

if that makes any sence what so ever

MacPhistoPT said:

What I don't like is those few songs in which they sound like a crappy boys band, songs that some people that aren't fans and only know U2 by MTV refer as great songs. I'm talking of Stuck in a moment and sweetest thing.

Of course all of this is IMO, and I respect everyone who doesn't agree with me.

You make a good point, except chose, IMO, poor examples.

The Sweetest Thing is (was) a great song, mostly the original b-side version though. But if you were referring to the Best Of '80-90 rerelease, then I can see what you're saying. That version is less than perfect, to put it nicely.

Stuck in a Moment, however, is a fantastic song. I just feel that the studio production on ATYCLB did the song a major disservice. This song is gorgeous live, giving me the chills. And the redone acoustic version that appeared on the single was miles ahead of the album version.

I loved Wild Honey and it'll always be one of the songs I won't hesitate to hit repeat on the ipod. It has such a light airy feeling as Beverly56 said, and it overall just makes you happy.

Wild Honey is one of the feel good songs of ATYCLB. :wink:

Wild honey is a good, song a song I could never skip, but would not repeat, and Stuck is one of U2s best, maybe I love that album so much because I was downhearted, angry, life wasn't good, all I done was go to school, do homework and watch tv, then i discovered u2 through ATYCLB and it made me feel so much better, everytime I feel bad this album goes on and it makes me feel so much better, Wild Honey is good, Stuck is amazing and the album is a classic.

Back
Top Bottom