Why wasn't 'Streets' played in Paris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Was it due to it being very light outside?

Why not play 'Streets' as an encore?

theu2fly said:
Was it due to it being very light outside?

Why not play 'Streets' as an encore?

They played Streets at only just over half of the European gigs on the JT Tour. It simply wasn't a permanent fixture of setlists of the period. Nothing more to it.

Re: Re: Why wasn't 'Streets' played in Paris?

Axver said:

They played Streets at only just over half of the European gigs on the JT Tour. It simply wasn't a permanent fixture of setlists of the period. Nothing more to it.

Ax...are you talking about the European Tour...or the Joshua Tree Tour in general...:eyebrow:

I'm sure it was played at over 95% of all Joshua Tree shows. I think in this instant it was an anomaly.

Re: Re: Re: Why wasn't 'Streets' played in Paris?

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Ax...are you talking about the European Tour...or the Joshua Tree Tour in general...:eyebrow:

I'm sure it was played at over 95% of all Joshua Tree shows. I think in this instant it was an anomaly.

As I said, "the European gigs on the JT Tour", so the European leg. It was played at 18 out of 30 shows in Europe, so definitely not an anomaly that it was missed at the Paris gig.

It was, however, played at every show on the two North American legs.

You have to understand, certain people in the U2 camp including members of the band didn't think Streets was that good of a song until later...

I don't think Streets was considered the kind of transcendent live experience it is today, it was just looked upon as an up-tempo number to build on the pre-concert anticipation and get the crowd going. It wasn't seen as indispensable to the band's live sets throughout the eighties.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
You have to understand, certain people in the U2 camp including members of the band didn't think Streets was that good of a song until later...

In 1987, they thought that EXIT was a stronger song and worthy of being played at every show?

U2FanPeter said:
In 1987, they thought that EXIT was a stronger song and worthy of being played at every show?

Frankly, I'd rather hear Exit live at this moment in time, though I admittedly have seen Streets ten times already.

Four JT songs were played at all JT Tour gigs: ISHFWILF (2x at one show), Bullet, RTSS, and Exit. Pride and IWF also made every single gig.

DevilsShoes said:
I don't think Streets was considered the kind of transcendent live experience it is today, it was just looked upon as an up-tempo number to build on the pre-concert anticipation and get the crowd going. It wasn't seen as indispensable to the band's live sets throughout the eighties.

so elevation is the new streets :hmm:

I actually don't miss it from this Paris concert. I like to pretend they were so cool that they just walked onstage and started playing "I will follow". I have seen the real beginning to this concert, and it's terrible. "C'mon Everybody"? Please... In the Rattle and Hum video, they look so stoic, so lifeless. This proves to me that Rattle and Hum didn't capture the U2 Live experience at all.

Actually from what I remember reading at the time a major reason it wasnt played is because they thought of it is an opener only and due to it being light out, they didnt feel that worked very well with the song. So they opened with some light hearted covers that didnt require any type of lighting instead for alot of the Euro outdoor shows.

They knew Streets was going to be single, so I doubt they didnt think it was a good song. Sometimes the band just does what they feel and there is nothing more to it.

The_acrobat said:
I actually don't miss it from this Paris concert. I like to pretend they were so cool that they just walked onstage and started playing "I will follow". I have seen the real beginning to this concert, and it's terrible. "C'mon Everybody"? Please... In the Rattle and Hum video, they look so stoic, so lifeless. This proves to me that Rattle and Hum didn't capture the U2 Live experience at all.

wow - couldn't disagree more.

C'mon everybody from Paris was just outstanding... you can find it on youtube. It so raw and powerful. Just great.

And second - I think never - and I mean never - has a concert been so beautiful catched by cameras than Rattle and Hum.

The_acrobat said:
In the Rattle and Hum video, they look so stoic, so lifeless. This proves to me that Rattle and Hum didn't capture the U2 Live experience at all.

The problem with Rattle and Hum was everything in between, like the interviews (and All Along the Watchtower), not the live stuff. The live stuff in Rattle and Hum is fantastic. At the bare minimum, it beats all of their live videos except maybe UABRS.

I mean, think about it:
Exit
In God's Country
Where the Streets Have No Name
Bad
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
With or Without You

Those seven all were absolutely stunning on Rattle and Hum. Great sound, great video. Superb.

but STREETS in the 80's sounded so... trashy...

specially in the R&H video... it sounds like... just a lot of sound, no t music... Edge's guitar suck and Larry just banged everything...

NOW... from ZooTV forward, the song sounds nice, beautiull if you will sometimes (Boston DVD, Superbowl)... now it's a experience, better equipments, better technics, better playing, more soul and crowd excitment...

Streets 87 :down:

Streets 92-06 :up:

phillyfan26 said:

The problem with Rattle and Hum was everything in between, like the interviews (and All Along the Watchtower), not the live stuff. The live stuff in Rattle and Hum is fantastic. At the bare minimum, it beats all of their live videos except maybe UABRS.

I mean, think about it:
Exit
In God's Country
Where the Streets Have No Name
Bad
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
With or Without You

Those seven all were absolutely stunning on Rattle and Hum. Great sound, great video. Superb.

:yes: I also really like Mallet, especially Sydney footage. I think these two captured U2 the best. (I like the home crowd energy and the festive spirit of Slane but otherwise, Hamilton doesn't compare, even with Milan)

Does anyone know if/when they will release any of the Joanou directed JT era concerts and why they stopped working with Mallet ?

Blue Room said:
Actually from what I remember reading at the time a major reason it wasnt played is because they thought of it is an opener only and due to it being light out, they didnt feel that worked very well with the song. So they opened with some light hearted covers that didnt require any type of lighting instead for alot of the Euro outdoor shows.

Some 1987 gigs did have it opening the encore. it would have been dark by the encore, even in Scandenavia and Scotland!!

u2fp

Streets was not played at most European Open Airs in 1987 because the band thougt it did not fit good enough during daylight.
Most European versions of streets were from arena-concerts or when they played two gigs in a town.

I´ve been at Cologne in 1987 about 2 weeks earlier than Paris and saw the start with Stand by me and C´mon everybody live. It was brilliant!
Those here who state this opening was bullshit don´t know what they are talking about because they can´t have been there!

During the following years i´ve been to 18 concerts including Streets. I don´t miss it on this Paris DVD.

JanRodi said:
Those here who state this opening was bullshit don´t know what they are talking about because they can´t have been there!

This opening was bullshit, and I was there (Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh, August '87).

I remember standing there in front of Edge with all the other hardcore U2 fans from all over the UK and Ireland. We were so pumped up, totally drunk with anticipation. I was telling other fans around me how cool it was when they opened with Streets in San Francisco in April, and how amazing it's going to be with 40,000 fans singing along, and how the hair on the back of your neck stands up when Larry hits the cymbals and the stadium lights turn on full blast.

We'd been waiting since 6am for them, through The Mission and The Pogues, and then they come out and do two lame cover songs to start... everyone around was saying, "What the fuck are they doing?" we were pissed, what a waste. Check out the bootleg video to hear our tepid response.

Imagine if U2 made the same move in Europe during the Vertigo Tour in '05. Instead of Vertigo and IWF or OOC to start, the Euros got "Cupid" and "Good Golly Miss Molly". I think words other than "brilliant!" would have been used here to describe it.

When they finally did IWF in the third slot, we were more relieved than happy. I remember Bono doing a ton of snippets from other songs throughout the show, though, and I wondered if he's doing it because he's in a good mood, or because he's bored with the JT songs already.

Regarding Streets, having seen U2 earlier in the tour in small arenas in America, I knew the power of Streets live, even back then when it wasn't as fleshed out and majestic as it is now. So, I was bummed that we didn't see it in Edinburgh, and others missed it as well.

I guess U2 made up for it by playing Party Girl at the end, complete with Bono schpritzing us with champagne.

Last edited:
OK - i have to accept your memory and opinion. Everybody at Cologne around me (10 meters in front of Edge) had a great time during this opening. Hear the bootleg...

For me this DVD without this opening is only the half. But that is much more than with any other DVD!!!

The Streets opening at the North American shows during the JT first leg was goose-pimply and the caress of levity and gravity at the same time.

Only in LA on the fifth night did they eff up the setlist a bunch, opening with a cover of Stand By Me, the houselights up.

U2FanPeter said:

Some 1987 gigs did have it opening the encore. it would have been dark by the encore, even in Scandenavia and Scotland!!

u2fp

Boy, and they did that a bunch didnt they?

Thats my point. Like I said, its not a hard a fast rule. But the reason I remember reading that they didnt open with it for alot of Euro shows (I obviously never said all) was because they didnt think it worked well with it being light out. That was the reason they went with the covers to open. I never said that meant they wouldnt do the covers for another show if it was dark? The question was why was there no Streets opening for the Paris show, I answered from my recollection. If you dont like it, ignore it.

pepokiss said:
but STREETS in the 80's sounded so... trashy...

specially in the R&H video... it sounds like... just a lot of sound, no t music... Edge's guitar suck and Larry just banged everything...

NOW... from ZooTV forward, the song sounds nice, beautiull if you will sometimes (Boston DVD, Superbowl)... now it's a experience, better equipments, better technics, better playing, more soul and crowd excitment...

Streets 87 :down:

Streets 92-06 :up:

I don't agree.... to me the Rattle und Hum video is the best out there, U2 at the top. Never ever heard again such an intensity and emotion in a song like Sunday bloody Sunday or Exit, or Pride....even Bad can't be better.....
I know you're talking about Streets, but it gives me the chills when I see the video..... followed by MLK....wow.... a lot more emotion back then, raw and honest.

Blue Room said:

Boy, and they did that a bunch didnt they?

Thats my point. Like I said, its not a hard a fast rule. But the reason I remember reading that they didnt open with it for alot of Euro shows (I obviously never said all) was because they didnt think it worked well with it being light out. That was the reason they went with the covers to open. I never said that meant they wouldnt do the covers for another show if it was dark? The question was why was there no Streets opening for the Paris show, I answered from my recollection. If you dont like it, ignore it.

I think it would be interesting for this thread to delve into what cities Streets was in the encore, where it was skipped in Europe and indoor/outdoor + arena/stadium shows.

Aardvark747 said:
I love Streets on Rattle n Hum. The build-up with Larry arriving at the drums is great.

The silohette/red backdrop beginning part had to filmed several times after the audience left. From when the music kicks in it's all of the performance that night.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom