Why was Arms Around the World cut from the Zoo TV Sydney video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty72

The Fly
I know it's on the pay-per-view version, but it's not on the video or the Westwood One Radio broadcast cd set I have.

I think because there were legal issues with alcohol and the person onstage being underaged.

(That's the song where he always pulls people up and gives them champagne.)

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

That is the same reason I heard (the underage drinking), but then why did they broadcast it originally? A friend gave me a copy of her Sydney tape from TV and it does have the girl up on stage drinking champagne with Bono during TTTYAATW.

I think because there were legal issues with alcohol and the person onstage being underaged.

(That's the song where he always pulls people up and gives them champagne.)

remember, you heard it from me first.

:up:

Actually, I read it was because they couldn't get rights to rebroadcast the video they sampled on the large Zoo TV screens during this song. Is that true?

Melon

No, it was tape delayed. It would have been on in the late morning in the U.S. if it was live.

I also heard it had something to do with the girl brought on stage. They either couldnt get the rights to distribute it because they didnt have permission and/or she was underage and they discovered this after the show.

I was very dissapointed that TTTYAATW was cut from that video. It was pretty "fun" with the whole champagne, girl from audience, and handycam stuff going on.

Hello,

I also heard it may have been because of time constraints. I don't know of many music videos that run longer than 2 hours and this one is also at that limit without TTTYAATW.

Whatever the reason, hopefully it will be reinstalled when/if they release it on DVD.

C ya!

Marty

melon said:
Actually, I read it was because they couldn't get rights to rebroadcast the video they sampled on the large Zoo TV screens during this song. Is that true?
they weren't ever really clear on why it wasn't in the video. this is one of many rumours i've heard, in addition to the underage drinking.

Originally posted by atu2.com
Even though this song was actually played at the concert, it was not featured in the video. There are several rumours about this:
  • (Most likely) Judging by the original pay-per-view show that aired live on television, it is very likely that the girl was not of legal drinking age. Note: the practice show the night before marked the first time the band played without one of its members: Adam failed to make it to stage after a heavy night.
  • During the song there was a model shown on the big screens, however U2 could not get permission to use the footage in the movie so it was left out;
  • Polygram wanted to keep the movie under two hours;
  • The girl Bono got onstage was very non-cooperative - things just didn't turn out as usual...

Back
Top Bottom