Why I love the album version of Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alisaura

Blue Crack Supplier
The fourth of July fades away, and the guitar enters, murmur and chime, almost echoing the same theme. It whispers in your ears, before the first thrill shivers through your head, left to right. The story begins, wistful, hopeful; a subtle hum building beneath, blending seamlessly with the murmur.
The drum's heart begins to beat; the bass slides in, wanders like a lost angel, walking through and around the song, trying to understand.
They grow together, slowly; drumbeats propelling the voice as the words unfold, unveiling images in your mind; heartbeat leading the bass' faltering steps; new colours bleeding in, mournful and plaintive.

The story tumbles on and on, building outwards, inwards, upwards, to the heart's piercing cry - an interlude of reflection. But the music rolls on, floating on the guitar's ceaseless refrain.
Building further, insistent cymbals, a litany of despair, the bass is stumbling headlong, the angel running in denial, colours all colliding, relentless rhythm, guitar growling an impotent anger, the heart howling against the wind, against the implacable current, howling its hurt... then the inevitable fall, to fade away.

oook, i love the live aid bootleg version

heavy bass drum, heavy drums in general, gives it the powerful tone this song needs, when the bass drum kicks in it sends shivers down my back, then when bono does his "woo hoo, woo hoo, hooo hooo" it sounds sooo perfect, and his chorus it officially is the best version of bad i could ever hear!

You're right, the Live Aid performance is brilliant. :up:

I didn't mean to imply that I don't love live versions, it's just that it seems that every time the album version of Bad is mentioned, it's only to say how much better a live version is. I just wanted to give some love to album-Bad. :wink:

Live Aid version is incredible, it was my first real exposure to U2 and got me hooked. For me though, the definitive will always be the majestic Wide Awake In America version, which is quite possibly the best thing U2 have ever done.

I love lots of earlier versions of this song, including the album version. Gotta crank up the bass on stereo for that one! I remember being all excited on the day of live aid about U2s upcoming performance. Think it was about 5-20PM they came on. I wore my tape i had of it out over next yr or so. Think bad has never been so good live since Zoo tv tour. On any versions I heard recorded since, bono is in half hearted mode wen he sings it. But for the most part, this song will remain one of u2s key moments for me!

Back
Top Bottom