Why do some people think that One is better than Streets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reason I compare is I haven't as yet really got down to a personal level on a lot of songs, except Kite. They aren't the same type of the song, but they do get compared a lot. Everytime there's a question or competition for best U2 song, everyone knows it will come down to One and Streets. Or the comps that I have seen have anyway.

Streets at Slane 2001 was something special. You could see that. It was obvious. The band mightily plugging away, and Bono on such a high that he managed almost two laps of the mosh pit before his vocal part. Being a rock star wouldn't get a lot better than that. 80,000 fans screaming at the top of their voices, the lights, the joy...

I've often wondered this. To be honest I prefer Streets but its worth remembering that the preference for One isn't just restricted to U2 fans but to the great unwashed as well, in UK as was shown in the Virgin Radio and Q song polls.
That considered, if someone dropped off mars and asked "What is this U2 of which you speak" and you only had five minutes to explain I'd show them Streets from Boston, I'm sure they'd get the idea.

I like "One" more. It's a universal song with many interpretations. Plus it's the song that kept U2 together during the difficult beggining stages of Achtung Baby. "Streets" is a great 'epic' song that really gets your pulse racing, but as far as lasting impressions go "One" takes the cake. It's a song anyone could see themselves in. A reflective song. And a comforting one. Not to mention the lyrics are perfect. Live...I've seen U2 twice and I liked them both better on seperate occasions. So it's a toss-up when it comes to that issue.

Back
Top Bottom