Who ya gonna call.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
As a comparative newcomer to this whole U2 business I was wondering if any of you could help answer me a question. I've heard about how during ZooTv Bono would call up world leaders. My question is who did he call? Was it just the US president at that time or would it depend which country he was in? For example, in the UK would he call up the Premier? (John Major I think it'd be at that time) Or did he attempt Buck Palace? Or was it always to the White House he made the calls?

Thanx for your time.

Well I remember when he was in Germany as MacPhisto he called up the Chancellor there.

he also called at various times, Madonna, Princess Diana, The Archbishop of Canterbury, the England football manager. I dont think his success rate was very high though

Oh and there is a fantastic phone call with salmedi rushtie (Spelling) who's book 'the ground beneath her feet' is based on. You have GOT to here that

he's also called Pavoratti, (I have this on audio clip, he actually got through, but I assume that particular one was already pre-planned), sang happy birthday to the band Clannad over the phone, Bush Senior....

the salman rushdie one was hysterical.

prank called a bunch of airports, and other places.

lol. a lot of this got on the TV news back then.

the pizza one is fucking classic. wait, they're all classic. :wink: :drool:

bono + pizza = two of the best, most delicious fucking things ever. :drool:

StlElevation [/i] [B] ghostbusters [/B][/QUOTE] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by thetitans2k said:

Exactly what I thought of.

It's almost what I thought of when I wrote the title. I was thinking "Who ya gonna Call? Ghostbusters! De na na na" 'Cos Ghostbusters wouldn't be Ghostbusters without the "De na na" bit. Wasn't there a cartoon series of it too? I seem to remember watching one when I was little.

Thanx for the links/info everyone.

TheQuiet1 said:

It's almost what I thought of when I wrote the title. I was thinking "Who ya gonna Call? Ghostbusters! De na na na" 'Cos Ghostbusters wouldn't be Ghostbusters without the "De na na" bit. Wasn't there a cartoon series of it too? I seem to remember watching one when I was little.

Thanx for the links/info everyone.

Ye there was a cartoon, but the movie will always be the best.

At Zooropa Oslo he called The Minister of Fishery to have a go at Norways policy on whale hunting, that was really popular for about 15 minutes in 1993, so u2 jumped on the bandwagon.

Thing is, most Norwegians are for whale hunting as I interpret it and the boos were aimed at Bono. The Minister, Olsen, even invited MacPhisto to a nice whale dinner, which I doubt Bono went to..

Not one of the best phonecalls on the tour, still love MacPhisto though:wink:

On Zoo TV Washington and Stockholm DVD that I just saw for the first time the other day thanks to U2torrents :combust:
:drool: He's dressed as Mirrorball Man and calls the White House.

He says the President of the U.S is not available to ME!? :laugh: :cute:
The way he says it and the look on his face is priceless.

Then on the Stockholm one he calls his baby: Hello, I want to speak to my baby. :cute:

Last edited:
Thanks again Neutral. :up: :)

Here in Lisbon, MacPhisto called a taxi like in Sydney but I think that here it was even better. He started with a kind of threaten to the women who received his call, "my name is macphisto... do you know who I am... 'cause I know who you are..." but the woman ignored him and hung up... then :mac: "I'm the last popstar and they hang up on me... oh well... sometimes I feel like I don't know..."

The most bizarre call must be Budapest, when he called an old communist leader, which they had to use an interpreter on stage with this really dull voice.

*browneyedgirl* said:

Then on the Stockholm one he calls his baby: Hello, I want to speak to my baby. :cute:

That's a creepy one, with the sound of the dead line underneath.

Back
Top Bottom