Which song is U2's "Stairway to Heaven"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we need to acknowledge that no other bands have a tune comparable to "Stairway to Heaven" in their respective catalogues. Even if you look at big bands like The Rolling Stones and The Beatles, you won't find a song that dwarfs all the band's other singles.

Now, if you mean, 'what is so-and-so band's ultimate song', which "Stairway to Heaven' symbolizes in the Zepplin song lists, then you could make a seriously argument for every band that every existed. "Beautiful Day" is by far the most widespread U2 single to date. More people know this song, than "With or Without You", "One", and "Mysterious Ways" combined.

in the "not a single" category U2's answer for Stairway to Heaven would be:

Gone
Bad
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Please
Until The End Of The World
Zooropa
Miracle Drug

Zootlesque said:
I would say Where The Streets Have No Name is the most well known for U2. It's the one song that even non-fans know. On the other hand, One I think is more representative of their career.

That's interesting because I would say the exact opposite. It's probably to do with the American differences to o'er here but here (Great Britain / Europe) I'd say One is the most known song. I, however, and this is nothing to do with geography, would say that Where The Streets Have No Name is the most representitive song of U2's long career.

Other thoughts:

- U2 have been for more than twice as long as Zeppelin, scary!

- It depends on era. I know it sounds cliche-ish but Zeppelin went through a couple of eras in truth, the early days and latter days. I'd say Stairway To Heaven was the best representative of the earlier style, that more influenced by Blues, whereas Kashmir was a better representation of their later years. With U2, who I'd say have reached their fourth era, I'd say Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where The Streets Have No Name and Until The End Of The World are the best ambassadors for their Early, Blues and Electro-rock stages respectively.

OK: Flame me
flamed.gif

^
Lol nowhere near Zeppelin's best but then again I think Mofo owns their whole back catalogue

Sunday Bloody Sunday.... and like Stairway, it's the biggest song and yet not a single. When I ask people who they think U2 are, they always say SBS.

SMB

Put aside all of this hokey about single/ non-single and just admit it... Where The Streets Have No Name or One (probably One... IMO, even though I like Streets alot more).

Streets. Just like Stairway, it's got a bit of everything. It's happy, it's sad, it's fast, it's slow, it's got just enough of every good aspect that a song could have. That's why these songs are so amazing. :yes:

Streets or One depending if you're a UF/JT(/ATYCLB) fan or AB/Pop(/HTDAAB) fan respectively

Bad - My favorite song period.

If we are talking singles, then I am quite suprised that no one mention Pride yet. This single is essentially U2 doing U2 and the origin of a signature riff that is known is all of rockdom as The Edge's "classic coke" riff. And the vocals!!! ...Well, nothing has sounded more powerful than Bono's angelic cry here.

I love Zep and Stairway, despite its over-exposure. But thank God U2 doesn't have a song like that. They have nothing in their catelogue that they feel compelled to play every night or that fans will be majorly dissapointed if they don't hear.

I would have to say One, it really is their best song, and it somehow describes all that U2 stand for, and why they exist, it just makes sense somehow.

Back
Top Bottom