When Zooropa was released...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooper2000

The Fly
How did the U2 community react? Its their weakest album by far in my opinion, and so off track compared to prior albums.. and with expectations high after JT and AB, I can see a massive let down was Zooropa. I'm not saying its crap, I just don't like it as much as the others, and was wondering how people took it (especially when so many people were angry about quality albums like HTDAAB and ATYCLB)

I wasn't old enough to be a U2 fan back then to know what it was like, if you're wondering.

I remember buying two copies, one for me and one for a friend of mine....I listened to my copy on the way to his house and when I got to the front door.......well, he asked how is it?............I just said "uuuuuuhhhhhh.......", "I think I got the new U2 album but I am not sure".....

The bravest album they have done though. A couple of the songs are U2's best.

stunned by the song Zooropa, Stay, The Wanderer and Lemon
they were absolute wonderful
Hated numb and dadys gonna pay...but the expectation for the new U2 record was incredible at the time

It was brilliant, the public dug it. Recorded and released while on tour and won the band a grammy for best alternative album.

I'm sorry to hear you think it's so inferior.

I thought it was great the first time I heard it. It was a bit offkey compared to Achtung, Baby, but it made perfect sense as an extension of the ideas in Zoo TV.

weakest album by far=hilarious

It was Achtung Baby that was the big change. Many of my friends who aren't into U2 think it's their best album. I think by summer 1993, U2 making that album wasn't really that big of a mind fuck, the mood of the contemporary music scene was to push the boundaries.

Comparatively speaking and the amount of time invested into Zooropa as compared to HTDAAB or even ATYCLB or POP, it's light years ahead of those albums. U2 were at their creative zenith, that they could disappear into a studio for 3 or 4 months and make an album that was at the very least interesting if not mind blowingly brilliant in spots. Now it takes them 2+ years to make 11 pop tracks, which they probably could have written in the same period. It's the difference in self-confidence and ambition.

The creative ambition for Zooropa was "fuck it, let's see what happens" and we got one of their best pop songs ever Stay, one of their best songs period in Lemon as well as several others that still stand the test of time. The creative ambition now is the exact opposite. So in that respect it's hardly fair to compare it to the calculated U2 of post-Passengers.

And to answer your question, it was pretty well received as far as I could tell. U2 certainly don't talk about going back to "fix" it or feel the need to apologize to critics for it, because there weren't many being critical.

It is what it is, an album recorded in almost 1/10th of the time it took to make everything after and 10 times better, IMO for those exact reasons. It never had a chance to be overthought and overproduced and watered down by a band wanting to crack the top 40. And they did anyways.

all I remember is someone telling me in a bar that "u2 has a new album coming out next week".

me: "oh really? no shit!"

person: "yeah...I heard it's called "Zorba" or some shit".

and then I bought it and played it every day for 6 months straight.

The album came in under the radar. No hype at all really surrounded it. It was like it was all of a sudden on the record store shleves without warning. It wona Grammy for best alternative album and personally it's become more and more one of my favorite U2 albums. It's probably my 5th favorite U2 album.
1. Achtung Baby
2. HTDAAB
3. Joshua Tree or Boy(can't decide)
5. Zooropa

Cooper2000 wrote: Its their weakest album by far in my opinion
hey cooper i don't think so at all. its in my top 5. at the time around in 1993 i was on holiday in ireland and one week prior to ZOOROPA release, at HMV store grafton st. / dublin we had the opportunity to a public pre listening. as far as i remember i didn't had any expectations on the new album, 'cause it came out of the blue...ZOOROPA is still one of the best albums uf U2. great record, great songs and two classics: LEMON & STAY

Well, I can't say back in 93, but I can say in 97, when I first heard it, I was like..."uhhhh...."

I was introduced to all of u2's albums in 1997 in this order initial reactions in () -

Pop (LOVED)
The Joshua Tree (Slow grower)
The Unforgettable FIre (Even slower grower)
Achtung Baby (LOVED)
Rattle and Hum (Meh)
War (Meh)
Zooropa (uhhhh....what the hell?)

I remember specifically loving Daddy's Gonna Pay right away, and disliking everything else pretty much.

Zooropa has now become probably my 3rd or 4th favorite album.

Pop
Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire tied with Zooropa

The only song I don't care for on Zooropa is Some Days Are Better Than Others.

I got off topic a bit.

My initial reaction was "Uhhhh....what the hell?"

But that was in 97 when I didn't even know a band called U2 existed until then:)

U2DMfan said:

Comparatively speaking and the amount of time invested into Zooropa as compared to HTDAAB or even ATYCLB or POP, it's light years ahead of those albums. U2 were at their creative zenith, that they could disappear into a studio for 3 or 4 months and make an album that was at the very least interesting if not mind blowingly brilliant in spots. Now it takes them 2+ years to make 11 pop tracks, which they probably could have written in the same period. It's the difference in self-confidence and ambition.

Absolutely! :up:

Sure it's got some dodgies, 'babyface' and perhaps 'the wanderer'
But 'stay' 'lemon' 'zooropa' 'numb' and 'dirty day' in particular are all pure classics

Also, lyrically I honestly believe Bono was at his peak in this album, I mean what recent U2 lyrics can match the brilliance of lemon and stay for instance?!

To say it's their weakest album is crazy talk! Definately one of their best!

I was a bit confused by it, but I was used to basic guitar alternative music and structured songs during that time (early 90's). Now, years later, I have broadened my musical taste and I love Zooropa for how daring and expiremental and ahead of its time it was.

It has brilliant songs and brilliant lyrics.

Loved it. First song heard was Babyface on the radio, liked it at the time, cool tune. Then heard Numb on the radio LOVED IT. So funky, and hilarious. Even my Mum who at the time was a real Joshua Tree-hugger loved Numb. Got the album, loved it. Not much confusion to me or my family, always seemed like U2 to us. Difference is, back then U2 were cool, so such an album was not a shock. These days as U2 are a geek band with soft shite like Hut Dab a mindfuck like Zooropa seems a lifetime away.

Hi Palace,

I miss those days. U2 really were untouchable.

Zooropa equalled Joshua Tree and Acthung Baby's sales in Australia. The only album to sell more was Rattle and Hum as they did quite a few shows in Australia to promote it.

Yes mobvok they played Babyface on the radio, a while before the album's release I believe. I was only 6 at the time bear in mind!

Sken, U2 were my absolute musical world back then. Like I say I was really young but one of the few things I remember from that long ago is U2. Strangely enough however, no one at my school had heard of U2, and I thought they were only popular overseas!

I absolutely loved it. It wasn't any Achtung Baby.. but it was definitely still up there and they were making yet another grand venture into their experimentation, without losing their soul core. Though, others may have said otherwise.. but if they really knew U2, they'd see they were still the same old U2.
I remember my first time hearing "Lemon" especially... and thinking "what in the fuck is this???? its... definitely... different.. .. damn this is brilliant!" It was a sure shock, but I loved it. I love that "shock". Its a good kinda shock, heh. "Zooropa" the song took a short while for me to get into soundwise.. then it all 'clicked'. But, its the perfect opener to the whole theme.. Everything else, had me at hello, per se! lol. The whole theme of it... thats another thing. Listeners outside of the whole U2 circle, probably would not have gotten the jist of it.
So many people seem to dislike "The Wanderer" (the perfect ending to the whole theme.. the little siren thingy and all, lol) but I instantly loved it. I find my appreciation for this album just gets stronger and stronger... but like I said.. it could never compare to "Achtung".... (I dont think anything can.. imho.) :drool:
Thats in a whole other highest of the highest category of greatness that stands above anything else.

I just found the entire "Zooropa" thing exciting, and imaginative.. and sent my mind into a whole other world. Never heard anything like it before. I think the award it won, was greatly deserved and that this album is very sadly very unappreciated.

Funny though... everyone else around me who had gotten it or just heard it on the radio... thought it was shit, or too strange. "Lemon" especially... and it royally pissed me off! Maybe U2 are way above some people's heads... seriously. But, that's their loss...

U2 isn't a band that repeats stuff.. they keep going forward... into different worlds within themselves... and it never gets boring.. thats for sure.

:wink:

Sken said:
Hi Palace,

I miss those days. U2 really were untouchable.

I know whatcha mean. :(

They still are.. but... it was a whole, entirely other thing back then.

At least we got to experience it when it was happening... and it wasn't like... 10 years before we were born or whatever. :)

Great memories. :wink:

FungusAmongus said:

At least we got to experience it when it was happening... and it wasn't like... 10 years before we were born or whatever. :)

Great memories. :wink:

Hmmph! :angry:

Wish I got to experience while it was happening, but alas I was busy being a six year old.

Not to worry, cause I've got to experience the huge stir 'bomb' has caused. Cause I mean it's so left of centre and out there and everything. Not

jonnytakeawalk said:

Hmmph! :angry:

Wish I got to experience while it was happening, but alas I was busy being a six year old.

Not to worry, cause I've got to experience the huge stir 'bomb' has caused. Cause I mean it's so left of centre and out there and everything. Not

You have a good excuse! lol.

Just to let you know.. my comment on the experiencing Zooropa thing wasn't meant as anything against you or to upset you (or anyone). After I posted that, and reread it, I realized it sounded kinda assy. :huh: But it wasn't meant like that. I need to edit myself.
Maybe I'm paranoid, lol.

Palace_Hero said:
I was also six like I said, but I remember the experience from Achtung onwards (and I was 5 when Achtung was released).

I know whatcha mean. I was only 13 when Zooropa came out.. but obviously a lot younger (eek) when JT was out. But I do remember that very clearly and really getting into them then. I remember seeing them on MTV constantly.. and oh well.. everywhere. Even stuff from way back to when I was 5 or younger... (vaguely, lol). I'm an 80s gal, LOL.
So, yeah.. we're youngin's but we were alive at least.. to experience it somewhat... or all... unlike.. not being born at all, LOL. Most of the other bands I like... were big before I even was born.. so.. that sucks.

Thats what I meant originally, LOL.

Zooropa was my first U2-album and it disappointed me. The record I really wanted was Achtung Baby! I don't think Zooropa is a bad album though, it's just one of the weakest U2-albums.

I have always found it strange that Pop is the album many criticises for being too experimental when the fact is that Zooropa is much further away from the "U2-sound" than Pop is. Pop has a lot more guitarplay than Zooropa. I think the reason is that Zooropa was released so suddenly and so shortly after Achtung Baby. The hype was much bigger before the release of Pop because it had been a four year wait.

the first U2 song and video ive ever known was staring at the sun and i loved it! then i saw discotheque! i only started listening to zooropa earlier this year and the first song that i immediately remembered was LEMON! i have never heard of anything like that even today! i love all songs even SDABTO and babyface!

I wasn't a fan yet when Zooropa was released. :reject:

I was only 11...but that's still no excuse!

Zooropa is brilliant!

From what I remember, Alternative fans loved it overall and more Mainstream Rock fans did not. I remember the local Rock station making fun of it, and then they would play Sunday Bloody Sunday or something.

I think Zooropa is more than just the music. You can see that pretty evidently through Zoo TV. There was so much background and context involved in that album that it's turned into a statement. Zooropa is about man's loss of identity through the technological, sophisticaed and complex society that the world was turning into, particularly in the 90's. Not so much lost identity in society as a whole, but identity to themselves and their own thinking patterns becuase of such an oppressive society, not in the physical sense but in the mental state that was being forced onto the people.

That is in itself what songs like Numb are all about, social and political boundries, where as Zooropa is about technology and what it's done to societies individuality...'I have no compass, I have no map'.

Just the general feel of the album has a certain air about it, that makes you question what really is going on and what kind of influences are technology and government systems really having on us as individual thinkers.

I remember the thrill of hearing it was a complete album, not the rumored EP. In those olden days, you had only MTV or Spin to learn of these things.

As someone else said, it was an exciting time for music and everyone was pushing boundaries and turning out their best stuff. Zooropa, IMO, was U2 in their prime, veering off in a new direction and daring us to come along. A VERY, VERY different mindset from what we see (and hear) nowadays.

Zooropa has aged incredibly well. I retruned to it recently and it now sees almost constant rotation in my car. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom