When "Streets" Became an Icon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobH

The Fly
Contrary to what some believe, "Where the Streets Have No Name" was not always the iconclastic song it has since later become. During the Joshua Tree album and tour era, it was a solid song, usually opening the live show, sometimes the encore. It received a warm if unspecatcular welcome at that time. It was also the third single off the album, with that sometimes cool, sometimes hokey imitation Beatles video. Other songs were much more revered. It was not an "instant classic" along the lines of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "Pride".

In my opinion, that particular song did not achieve its current status until the ZooTV tour. For some reason, people really went nuts for that song on that tour. I have always felt that it had more to do with what the song represented rather than the song in and of itself. During that tour, it was generally greeted with such enthusiasm you would've thought it was their most famous or recognizable song. I think it just brought people back to the days when they had just purchased their copy of "The Joshua Tree" and put in on the stereo for the first time. The reaction was more one of appreciation for the album as a whole, rather than just for that one song.

Since that time, it has almost come to be the be-all and end-all for some people at a U2 concert. I suppose the Super Bowl tribute only increased its stature. I write this post not discredit a very good song, only to put it in a little perspective for those who are interested in a different take.

I can't dispute anything you say...you make solid points. For me Streets is indeed the do-all end-all at the live show. It's an incredible experience to see this song live for the first time. I'll never forget it.

Very insightful post. There is a certain affection that comes with that song. It's as though people missed the cinimatic, Joshua Tree era, and for a few minutes during Zoo TV, Bono was again that person. (I think Bono knew this as well...waiving to his old Joshua Tree self on the screens.)

'Streets' is a spiritual experience when experienced live. It has the power to command an entire audience, no matter how big. As Bono has said, to get 70,000 people to agree on one thing is something to see...and feel.

I remember hearing that they wanted to originally drop Streets from Zoo TV but didn't have the heart to...so they dropped Sunday Bloody Sunday instead

I can see where you're coming from. I was argueing the other day with someone who said Streets isn't a classic song and I disagreed. I guess in a sense it isn't as well known as WOWOY or BD or SBS or NYD but everyone recognizes it when they hear it and almost everyone says they love it when they hear it. I saw U2 4 times on the Vertigo tour and every time when the intro for Streets hits the places builds int this unbeliveable frenzy. It's by far the hghlight of a live U2 show and in my opinion still gets the biggest reaction and response from the crowd. It felt that way on the Elevation tour as well. When my Dad saw them with me in Vancouver, Streets was the moment durring the show where he said he got goosebumps and a bit choked up and he's not even a fan. I just wanted him to come and experience it. I also agree that the Super Bowl performance elevated the song to new heights especially in terms of how the general public view it.

We just had the Labour Day long weekend Top 500 Songs of all time on Sun FM in Kelowna, BC, and 'Streets' came out on top! Actually, the first 3 songs on Joshua Tree all placed in the top 10!

agreed...

streets was magical during zoo tv for some reason, i guess it was because it's the only song that u2 really didn't try hard on, it just came to them. and before 'still haven't found' and the other singles were played, i think u2 kept this song because of the feeling, and meaning behind it.

maybe it was a gamble, after the joshua tree, they played it on zoo tv to see how it would really be received... and then when the lights came on and the crowd received it incredibly well, it was meant to stay...

I even remember a radio DJ commenting at the time of ZooTV (there was no internet yet) that he was surprised at which song was getting the biggest ovation on the tour.

It's weird thinking of the way Bono waved at himself on ZooTV, like he was waving to some amazingly distant time and person (which in a way he was), but when you look at the actual timeline between that Joshua Tree Bono he was waving at, and the ZooTV Bono that was doing the waving, it's not far off having Vertigo Bono throw footage of Elevation Bono up on the big screen at a concert this November, and wave to him in the same way.

Umm, then why was the intro to Streets used as the promo for the Rattle and Hum dvd.

I think Streets has always been a classic song, check the performance of the Dublin Lovetown New Years Eve show that was aired on TV. The atmosphere was electric for that song.

Also, just out of curiosity, when did the Pet Shop Boys do the cover, before or after ZooTV, I can't remember.

Earnie Shavers said:
It's weird thinking of the way Bono waved at himself on ZooTV, like he was waving to some amazingly distant time and person (which in a way he was), but when you look at the actual timeline between that Joshua Tree Bono he was waving at, and the ZooTV Bono that was doing the waving, it's not far off having Vertigo Bono throw footage of Elevation Bono up on the big screen at a concert this November, and wave to him in the same way.

I loved that part. During the show I saw, he waves at the screen and says, "hey, I remember you"...

I don't agree with the original post so much, this was the time when I really started to get into U2 and Streets was definately an instant classic where I was growing up. Streets especially grew with the release of R&H...

And to the poster that said SBS was dropped instead of Streets, this is incorrect. SBS wasn't played until later in the tour. Bono came out and said at the beginning of the tour and said past hits like SBS and NYD won't be played because that was the old U2 and this the new U2 and this may piss off some of our fans, blah blah blah. Well much to my dismay they gave in and SBS and NYD became part of the setlist.
:|

I agree partially with the post. I saw U2 in 93 on Zooropa and I was waiting with baited breath for Streets to come the transisiton from RTSS was pure theatre.

For me, however, I think it all started with the black & white to colour transition on the R & H film. I talked to a friend of mine who was fortunate enough to see this in the cinema and he said you could sense the energy in the cinema when the screen turned red. I first watched it on VHS years before Zoo TV and I remeber being amazed at this part of the film.

Streets on its current form though has lost a little magic the seque from Pride just didnt work not just for me but from lots of people judging by reviews and previous posts on the subject.

I hope if they ever tour again it is given a great seque or it returns as as a show or encore opener where that amazing intro can be given the full airing it truly deserves.

mackemlad said:

For me, however, I think it all started with the black & white to colour transition on the R & H film. I talked to a friend of mine who was fortunate enough to see this in the cinema and he said you could sense the energy in the cinema when the screen turned red. I first watched it on VHS years before Zoo TV and I remeber being amazed at this part of the film.

:up: I remember seeing R&H in a packed cinema. The atmosphere was amazing when Streets started, everyone started cheering, (they'd been quite subdued up to that point) and it was the high point of the film, the imagery was amazing on a big screen.
Streets has always been a classic but I think this gave it even more of a boost.

This is funny because in a portuguese music magazine called Blitz (a sort of portuguese Rolling Stone) U2 are the main theme and in the cover of this month's edition and there's an article talking about the importance and how "Streets" became an iconic song in U2's career.

europop2005 said:
I remember hearing that they wanted to originally drop Streets from Zoo TV but didn't have the heart to...so they dropped Sunday Bloody Sunday instead

Sunday Bloody Sunday wasn't on the set list for the previous tour either so it had already been dropped.

I must say my first live Streets experience was on the Vertigo Tour, and it really disappointed me in how un-magical it felt. I was crushed a little. As Streets was my most anticipated song to hear live for the first time, I just wish this version hadn't stunk.

But now I'm waiting for the next tour, because I'm going to go to Dublin for a week when the band plays there. THAT will be one hell of an experience.

In my opinion it was a classic, an icon from the day it was released. Using it as th eopener on the JT tour was sheer genius, and it's place as a classic was cemented right there and then.

i thought sbs was dropped because bono thought the r&h version was the best that song could ever be?

Miricale_Drug said:
i thought sbs was dropped because bono thought the r&h version was the best that song could ever be?

I think the idea to drop SBS was to distance themselves from U2 classic songs that painted an image of what U2 were, and what they were supposed to be. Streets wasn't that type of song.. Yet.

SBS was always associated with Bono waving the whiteflag and such.

Plus I am sure there are more personal reasons.

Miricale_Drug said:

Didn't they drop SBS due to the Einskillen incident and the emotional baggage that song had for them?

I mean it was played on JT tour, but not Lovetown and not until Zoo TV stadiums.

I can't listen to the album version of Streets anymore - it's such a shitty mix :huh:

IMO streets became an icon the way it is 2day b/c of the segue from running to stand still during ZooTv....it became the climax of the entire show....

and was also strengthened by the please segue...it didnt become they're best song by radio play thats for sure....strictly from touring...:wink:

It was a huge song right from the beginning, but it didn't become legendary until the day "Rattle & Hum" was released in movie theaters. After that, every U2 fan could appreciate the song live.

Greenlight said:

:up: I remember seeing R&H in a packed cinema. The atmosphere was amazing when Streets started, everyone started cheering, (they'd been quite subdued up to that point) and it was the high point of the film, the imagery was amazing on a big screen.
Streets has always been a classic but I think this gave it even more of a boost.

maybe because before that, everyone was thinking "what's this... 1930?... when's charlie chaplin making a cameo? :eyebrow: "

:wink:

Z00rop@83 said:
IMO streets became an icon the way it is 2day b/c of the segue from running to stand still during ZooTv....it became the climax of the entire show....

and was also strengthened by the please segue...it didnt become they're best song by radio play thats for sure....strictly from touring...:wink:

I entirely agree. Streets has benefitted from some pretty great placing in setlists, since having it come directly after a heavy emotional group of songs like Bad/Running to Stand Still or Miami/Bullet/Please or (my personal favorite) Bad or All I Want Is You, it represents the time in the set when U2 finally 'be U2' again after going through their trademark heart of darkness portion of the evening.

Streets was the song that got me into U2 and it sounds even better live then it does on the album....and that was over 15 years ago! Thank you boys for making that song happen!

Zoo TV: BULLET / RTTS / STREETS

Popmart: BULLET / Please / STREETS

Vertigo: BULLET / Pride / STREETS

:hmm:

I love how, at least on VHS concerts, whenever the spotlights go on during WTSHNN there's a definite buzz due to the lights turnining on. It also adds a couple second layer to the song as a whole. Totally rocks. And obviously, usually the shot of the show during said moment is a wide angle, so its even more epic.

Back
Top Bottom