When Love Comes To Town - "Best Of" worthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalkOnTheEdge

The Fly
I'm still new to these boards and trying to get a feel for what the U2 masses think on certain topics. This one has to do with "When Love Comes To Town" on the Best of CD.

My opinion is that there is no way this should have made the cut over COUNTLESS better choices. Of the many "Best Of" CD's I own by various artists, this particular song jumps out at me as the most out of place "Best Of" song. It just doesn't belong.

Opinions?

Yeah...

Like A Song, Drowning Man, Two Hearts Beat as One, The Electric Co, Out of Control, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Bullet the blue sky, Running to Stand Still, A Sort of homecoming, One Tree Hill, God Part II, Heartland, Hawkmoon 269

Soo much to choose...

I think it's fine. Really the 80's collection was a Greatest Hits. With all there highest selling singles plus there two live "Greatest Hits" from that era.

It's fine. If anything they should've added more, its not like they even got close to filling the CD. One Tree Hill, Running To Stand Still, Gloria & Out Of Control are the only songs that would not look out of place on there.

MacPhistoPT said:
Yeah...

Like A Song, Drowning Man, Two Hearts Beat as One, The Electric Co, Out of Control, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Bullet the blue sky, Running to Stand Still, A Sort of homecoming, One Tree Hill, God Part II, Heartland, Hawkmoon 269

Soo much to choose...

Exactly. Conversely, of all the "Best Of" cd's I own by various artists I'd have to say "Out Of Control" is the most inexplicable omission. How in the world did the U2 powers that be make an educated decision to leave this one off???

I thought Van Halen leaving "Everybody Wants Some!" off of their Greatest Hits was bad, but U2 not including "Out Of Control" is just downright mind boggling.

Drowning Man on a best of cd? i think not

the Angel of Harlem/When Love Comes to Town/Love Rescue Me string of songs on the Lovetown Tour was one of U2's finest moments

BB King thought When Love Comes to Town was good enough to throw on his greatest hits CD as well

Chizip said:
Drowning Man on a best of cd? i think not

BB King thought When Love Comes to Town was good enough to throw on his greatest hits CD as well

For BB King, that may well indeed be one of his best hits. But for U2, it's not even on the same radar as some that have been mentioned.

No it's not worthy. Imo it's their worst single of the 80's. Don't care much for Angel Of Harlem either. And another thing, why include the full length version of AIWIY? Use the single edit and save 2 mins of strings!

hell no...

why the flip isnt Gloria on there?!? I mean, I'd love to have Like a Song or One Tree Hill or Running to Stand Still on there, but those weren't singles or hits. Gloria is one of their classic songs and really deserves to be on there.

Nisse said:
And another thing, why include the full length version of AIWIY? Use the single edit and save 2 mins of strings!

Ahhh......the beauty of my 'Cool Edit Pro' software. I cut all this bull$it off at the end, gave it a nice 'fade out', and burned it to my own personal Best Of cd. It's as if it was never there! Thus, allowing me to squeeze one more song onto the disc.

Nisse said:
No it's not worthy. Imo it's their worst single of the 80's. Don't care much for Angel Of Harlem either. And another thing, why include the full length version of AIWIY? Use the single edit and save 2 mins of strings!

I agree about When Love Comes to Town. It's a decent song, but there are so many better songs U2 did in the 80's.

How could you leave the 2 minutes of strings off?! Aside from the cascading solo by Edge, that's my fave part of the song!

I really like When Love Comes To Town, it's a great song. A collaboration that worked very well, specially live. However I think that 40, Bullet The Blue Sky, Gloria, The Electric Co., October, A Sort Of A Homecoming are all better songs and more worthy to be in a U2 best of specially because some of those songs worked amazingly live and were played a lot (40, Gloria, Bullet The Blue Sky).

I think U2 had When Love Comes To Town in the best of because of the partnership between them and B.B. King, not particularly because the song is so good. They worked really well live.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Ahhh......the beauty of my 'Cool Edit Pro' software. I cut all this bull$it off at the end, gave it a nice 'fade out', and burned it to my own personal Best Of cd. It's as if it was never there! Thus, allowing me to squeeze one more song onto the disc.

so let me get this straight...you threw away your Zooropa CD, you love the song Elevation, and you cut off the "bullshit" ending of All I Want is You

:crazy:

Chizip said:

so let me get this straight...you threw away your Zooropa CD, you love the song Elevation, and you cut off the "bullshit" ending of All I Want is You

:crazy:

That would be correct. Lol.....

The bullshit ending has nothing to do with the song itself. The song is incredibly moving.........right there with Streets and Bad. Truly epic when Edge kicks it in with that phenomenal solo. I just think the noise at the end isn't necessary.

What can I say, I don't blindly worship everything the band has done. I know what sound I enjoy from this band, and Zooropa (the album, not the song) doesn't give that to me. If I want spacey, weird crap I'll pop in "Nights in White Satin", "Major Tom", or something awful like that.

Elevation gives me a grungy guitar sound, a great beat, and some great "Woo Hoo's" from Bono. I've loved the song from day 1.

We have very different tastes my friend :wink:

though i think you'd get along with zoomerang96 very nicely

Chizip said:
We have very different tastes my friend :wink:

though i think you'd get along with zoomerang96 very nicely

:wink: Yes, we do..... Lol........that's what make's the world go round.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

The bullshit ending has nothing to do with the song itself. The song is incredibly moving.........right there with Streets and Bad. Truly epic when Edge kicks it in with that phenomenal solo. I just think the noise at the end isn't necessary.

What can I say, I don't blindly worship everything the band has done. I know what sound I enjoy from this band, and Zooropa (the album, not the song) doesn't give that to me. If I want spacey, weird crap I'll pop in "Nights in White Satin", "Major Tom", or something awful like that.

Elevation gives me a grungy guitar sound, a great beat, and some great "Woo Hoo's" from Bono. I've loved the song from day 1.

Do you own any U2 records other than ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and the Best Ofs?

saxgoddess said:

I agree about When Love Comes to Town. It's a decent song, but there are so many better songs U2 did in the 80's.

How could you leave the 2 minutes of strings off?! Aside from the cascading solo by Edge, that's my fave part of the song!
it's so pointless, it's not even U2 playing. they edited Bad, used the shorter album version of Pride, the shorter video version of NYD, the shorter single version of Streets... and then it's 15 minutes left unused...:huh:

The fact of the matter is this:

Rattle and Hum was way over-represented on the 80s Best Of album.

Desire
Angel of Harlem
WLCTT
AIWIY

That's 4 songs! Even the mighty Joshua Tree has only 3 songs to represent itself. Rattle and Hum is considered one of their career missteps, so why over-represent it? 3 songs tops should have been included from that album. Of those 4, WLCTT is by far the worst.

On the other hand, October the album is completely swept under the rug as if it never happened! This is a travesty!

So in conclusion, Gloria instead of WLCCT would have made a lot more sense.

At least they didn't mess up the 80s disc as much as that nightmare that is the 90's Best Of. How could they screw up thier best decade so badly? But that's another thread.

U2 singles of the 1980-1990 period...in order of chart position (highest to lowest):

I Still Haven't Found...: #1 on Hot 100
With or Without You: #1 on Hot 100
Desire: #3 on Hot 100
Where the Streets...: #13 on Hot 100
Angel of Harlem: #14 on Hot 100
Pride: #33 on Hot 100
In God's Country: #44 on Hot 100
When Love Comes to Town: #68 on Hot 100
All I Want Is You: #83 on Hot 100
--------------------------------------------------------------
New Year's Day: # 53 on Pop stations
I Will Follow: #81 on Pop stations
--------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday Bloody Sunday: #7 on Rock stations
God Part 2: #8 on Rock stations
Jesus Christ: #9 on Rock stations
Spanish Eyes: #11 on Rock stations
Two Hearts Beat as One: #12 on Rock stations
Bullet the Blue Sky: #14 on Rock stations
The Three Sunrises: #16 on Rock stations
Bad: #19 on Rock stations
Surrender: #27 on Rock stations
Wire: #31 on Rock stations

Since the cd is entitled "Best of 1980-1990" they weren't restrained to only "hits". It wasn't strictly a 'greatest hits' album, allowing the band to select their best worked as opposed to their most succesful work. Therefore, making a case that "When Love Comes to Town" was one of their highest charting hits on the Hot 100 doesn't hold any water. But, at least it explains why it got consideration.

The true question should be why is "In God's Country" not on the album, while others made the cut?

When Love Comes to Town over Running to Stand Still, One Tree Hill, A Sort of Homecoming, GLORIA!!!:mad:, Out of Control, AND Two Hearts...

This makes me seriously angry for some reason, idk y, i didn't even buy the album or anything:wink:

I think WLCTT shouldn't have been there at the expense of others - In God's Country/Out of Control/11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

However I still rate the song highly, and it was great live on Lovetown.

namkcuR said:

Do you own any U2 records other than ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and the Best Ofs?

I'd say I've been with this band for some time......

Under A Blood Red Sky
Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Wide Awake in America
Boy
7 (limited edition from Target)
Unforgettable Fire
Rattle and Hum
ATYCLB
HTDAAB
Best of 80-90
Best of 90-00
Live in Boston DVD
Live from Slane Castle DVD
Rattle and Hum DVD

Umm didn't Out Of Control & Another Day reach #1 in Ireland or so

btw these aren't singles

God Part 2: #8 on Rock stations
Jesus Christ: #9 on Rock stations
Spanish Eyes: #11 on Rock statio
Bullet the Blue Sky: #14 on Rock stations
The Three Sunrises: #16 on Rock stations
Bad: #19 on Rock stations
Surrender: #27 on Rock stations
Wire: #31 on Rock stations

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Oh my god, FINALLY someone agrees with me. The song is terrific, but it goes for far too long and that noise at the end is EXTREMELY annoying.

As for the best of, I think they should have included more from October. I don't think October was released as a single (prove me wrong, but I think only Fire and Gloria were released from October) yet we had to wait about two minutes after All I Want Is You finished to hear it.

I don't mind When Love Comes To Town but my opinion on the best of is - The first seven tracks are great, but after that the only other songs I really like from 8-14 is The Unforgettable Fire, Sweetest Thing and All I Want Is You (before the crap at the end).

Take a look -
I Will Follow - Barely understandable chorus. good song, but I wish I could hear what Bono is saying.
Desire - the lyrics are - Desir-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-e (Repeat).
When Love Comes To Town - Just didn't do it for me.
Angel Of Harlem - It's okay, but I can't really get into it.

Another risky post.

Cooper2000 said:
It is essential, as touring with BB King was a very large part of U2 in the 80s.

Yeah, and let's face it, more well-known than a lot of the early 80's stuff, and that played a large part, I'm sure.

Still, can't for the life of me understand why Gloria isn't on there. Couldn't understand it when the album came out, can't understand it now :shrug:

I forget to put Gloria in my list... probably the biggest lack in the Best Off 80-90...

I like Angel of Harlem. I feel in minority :huh: When Love Comes to Town is a interesting work but not worth to be on a best of, Desire is a common-weak song and All I want is you is a trully masterpiece. IMO of course.

Back
Top Bottom