When I Look At The World, what a cool story!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
Have you already read about this story below? In case you haven?t, here it goes, it?s from @U2 site.

"You heard last week that U2 finally sang "When I Look at the World" in concert; granted, it was only a brief snippet done by Bono and Edge in Kansas City, but it made a lot of fans very happy. What you probably didn't hear was how it came about.

Tim Cunningham and his friend Erin brought a printed copy of the lyrics of "When I Look at the World" to Kemper Arena. During the day, they made 100 copies of the lyrics at a nearby business and eventually passed the copies out to fans in the GA line, hoping someone would be able to get Bono to notice and take one during the show. Tim kept one copy and had about 30 fans sign it. He brought it into the arena with him where he ended up along the front rail inside the heart, right between Edge and Bono's spots. Before the show started, Tim and his his friends saw John Sampson, Bono's main security guard. They called him over and asked him to give Bono the lyric sheet with 30 signatures.

Tim and his friend spoke with John later. John said he showed the lyric sheet to the band and told them the fans inside the heart had "voted" for "When I Look at the World" and wanted to hear it badly. Bono started reading the lyrics, John said, and Edge picked up a guitar and two of them started working it out. This all happened while Garbage was on stage. And the rest is history. Now, thanks to Tim and his friends, you know the rest of the story!"

I can picture both there on the backstage, Edge and Bono, working hard and fast, LOL, only to please their fans, isn?t it cool?
smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

Very cool...thank you for sharing that story!

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

OMIGOD that is crazy! Very cool indeed. U2 rock!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

If only we had known earlier in the tour that this worked, we could have requested SOOOO many songs! "A Celebration", "A Sort of Homecoming", "A Day Without Me" and all those other "A" songs. How cool! Remember this Australia! [oh! another A!]

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Thats cool, love that song, woulda loved to have heard it live!!

Soo.....that works?? Hmmm, so next time we get......Numb and 2000 signatures, would it work? Or "Itsy Bitsy teeny weeny yellow poka dot bikini" and 80,000 sigs, ya? Cool!

Originally posted by lazyboy:

Soo.....that works?? Hmmm, so next time we get......Numb and 2000 signatures, would it work? Or "Itsy Bitsy teeny weeny yellow poka dot bikini" and 80,000 sigs, ya? Cool!

Stick with numb.
icon36.gif

I believe this story is true. They could just ignore the plea of their fans for them to play the song. But they didn?t. I also believe that they might have had some fun while working on the song in such improvised way, don?t you think?

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

What I love most about this is how much grief Kansas City fans took for the show not selling out and then U2 adds probably the best snippet of the tour on the end of "Bad" for us. For reasons I still can't figure out, the Kansas City show was just amazing.

Back
Top Bottom