"When I Look at the World vs. Ultraviolet"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropean103 said:
Ultraviolet, no contest. What a pity it's not on Sydney's bonus disc.

amen to that. love both songs, but Ultraviolet will always be one of my very faves from the band.

hahah what's up with these versus threads =)
but i gotta go with ULTRAVIOLET by a long shot.
it's simply sublime. the album version is so good, but the live version is absouletly killer.
baby baby baby light my wayyyy

^ WHAT?!??! it's not going to be on the sydney dvd?! whyyy?!?! >:[

tuwie said:
^ WHAT?!??! it's not going to be on the sydney dvd?! whyyy?!?! >:[

The Sydney show is from 27 November 1993. Ultra Violet's final live performance was on 28 August 1993.

And I guess they agree with me that any filmed performance of it wasn't worthy of being added as a bonus track.

Ultraviolet of course!!! That said, WILATW is one of the better tracks on ATYCLB.

Axver, I'd like some of what you're smoking. :wink:

Axver said:

And I guess they agree with me that any filmed performance of it wasn't worthy of being added as a bonus track.

Well, thanks but we know that it's just because you detest AB. I'm sure that a good live performance of Ultraviolet could be included as a bonus... If TTTYAATW can, Ultraviolet could make it too...

aside from the chorus, Ultraviolet is a very good song, and is definitely better

Well it depends , on album tracks perhaps I'd go with When I look , depending my mood .......... but

Now if we put the live perfomance on it , talking bout UltraViolet Live , I only need to mention one thing , a image works better :

edrain.jpg

It woops its ass and yet you give it only one point less then WILATW?! :wink:

WILATW fo me too I reckon. Ultra Violet is totally overated

Damn. good point.

^How many times have they performed in the rain I wonder? Has anyone ever been to a show where it has rained? What was the effect on the concert?

COBL_04 said:
^How many times have they performed in the rain I wonder? Has anyone ever been to a show where it has rained? What was the effect on the concert?

Popmart Sydney. Really, really, ridiculously hot day. The skies cracked a couple of hours before the show, then stopped and held off for most of the show. Then, right at the end, MIchael Hutchence appears on the Popmart screen - this being 2 months after he passed away and his 'hometown' gig with loads of family and friends in attendence - and Bono wanders out to the end of the b-stage to sing MLK. Right on cue, a huge storm rolls in over the stadium and after a couple of loud booms it starts to pour rain again (think about the lyrics and the context). Bono is visibly shaken and heads back to the main stage. He asks for all the lights in the stadium to be turned off. The plug is pulled on the Popmart screen, all stage lights, all spotlights, all completely turned off and the whole stadium is in the dark. 45,000 people sing along to a quiet One while thunder and lightning crack right over the top of the stadium. The band quietly head off as INXS' Never Tear Us Apart comes over the PA and 45,000 hang around and sing every word. Un-f*cking-believable. If I never remember anything else from U2 ever, I'll remember that.

Aygo said:

Well, thanks but we know that it's just because you detest AB. I'm sure that a good live performance of Ultraviolet could be included as a bonus... If TTTYAATW can, Ultraviolet could make it too...

I hated Ultra Violet before I hated Achtung. In fact, you could say Ultra Violet was the start of it all ...

tuwie said:
^ omg i got shivers down my spine just reading that. that's freaking awesome that you were there. what an experience.

Being there was a mix of chills and being well aware that I was standing right next to that cocktail stick/lightning rod.

The Dublin broadcast version of UV with Help seguing in and the soaring guitar kicking in at that perfect instant is one of the best things I have ever heard U2 do. UV by a mile.

That said, I really like that line in WILATW about the trees. But other than that it's just not that memorable for me.

Earnie Shavers said:

Popmart Sydney. Really, really, ridiculously hot day. The skies cracked a couple of hours before the show, then stopped and held off for most of the show. Then, right at the end, MIchael Hutchence appears on the Popmart screen - this being 2 months after he passed away and his 'hometown' gig with loads of family and friends in attendence - and Bono wanders out to the end of the b-stage to sing MLK. Right on cue, a huge storm rolls in over the stadium and after a couple of loud booms it starts to pour rain again (think about the lyrics and the context). Bono is visibly shaken and heads back to the main stage. He asks for all the lights in the stadium to be turned off. The plug is pulled on the Popmart screen, all stage lights, all spotlights, all completely turned off and the whole stadium is in the dark. 45,000 people sing along to a quiet One while thunder and lightning crack right over the top of the stadium. The band quietly head off as INXS' Never Tear Us Apart comes over the PA and 45,000 hang around and sing every word. Un-f*cking-believable. If I never remember anything else from U2 ever, I'll remember that.

Great Story.....

I have one like that to share. During the Joshua Tree Stadium leg of that Tour. I was at the Foxboro, MA show when a thunderstorm passed just east oof the Stadium and as U2 took the stage you could see lightning flashing off in the distance and it remained like that for about the first five songs.... incredible!!!! Also that night I heard for the first time One Tree Hill played LIVE!!!! What a night!!!!

As for the true topic of this thread I'll have to vote for UltraViolet (I bet Axver is REALLY surprised)

I do like the guitar parts in WILATW though

Back
Top Bottom