When did you start to like and love U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Became a fan when I heard my brother's Unforgettable Fire tape, I really really liked EPaA, lol. :nerd:
Became an obsessive fan when a friend played In God's Country and then all of Joshua Tree for me. :)

I started to like them in 2001 when I heard Beautiful Day and Elevation. Then my parents bought me The Best of 1990-2000 for Christmas. I heard Mysterious Ways and I was hooked.

First time I ever heard U2 and new it was them was in 2001 when I saw Elevation on MTV. It had to have been fate because I might watch 10 minutes of MTV a year. After that I bought ATYCLB and every album up to that point (and Bomb).

I was burning The Best of 80-90 and 90-00 for my friend, and I listened to the songs and fell in love.

that was back in 2002, I became a hardcore fan after Achtung Baby and that was in 2003.

First concert Nov 16th, 2005. :D

Liked/Loved: Always.

Fanatical: Seeing them live last year for the first time. Clinched it for me.

Liked and Loved since 1989 or so when I heard Where The Streets Have No Name...and then the Achtung Baby time period came out and that became my favourite album never looked back since!

Bought an album by a band I thought was called "Boy".
Hadn't heard the album at all - just bought it on a whim.
Loved it.
Then became addicted to "October" at a very special time in my life. Met the band in 1985 and again in 1987. Have always been a fan. In fact I would travel across the country and pay whatever I could just to see another live version of "Bad" (one of my all time favorite songs).

I grew up with U2 in my house, in the background, but I stole my dad's ATYCLB and listened to it on repeat all the time, two years ago when I was 13. :heart:

They are the ideal band to get into for your first, they're so accessible-and of course, amazing. :yes:

1984. i got WAR for my birthday from then boyfriend. my brother already had OCTOBER and BOY so i borrowed them as well!

I'd always been a fan of their songs that I'd heard on the radio, and I bought ATYCLB when it came out because I loved Beautiful Day. I remained a casual fan though.

It wasn't until 2003 when randomly one night I borrowed my brother's Boston Elevation Live DVD that I become an addict. I think I picked it up to watch because I wanted to see Sunday Bloody Sunday live. After watching it, my reaction was "oh my god, that was awesome, let me check out the other hits I know"... pretty soon I was forced to just start at the beginning of the DVD and watch the whole thing. I was blown away and hooked for good.

(Im pretty drunk... I'm glad this post turned out coherent)

I liked them in 1988 (I was in 8th grade) and I had a copy of Joshua Tree but didn't fully apreciate music.
In 1992 i went to see ZOO TV in Philadelphia at Vet Stadium.
it was my first day of college.
I was 13th row front and center.
It sounds cliche but it BLEW my mind wide open.
I went out and bought Achtung the next day.
In the following month I bought every album
The following weeks I learned what a single was, what a bootleg was and what an obsessive music snob was.
I bought every book, every magazine, every poster.
Since then I've seen them almost 30x, met Bono, Edge and Adam 2x each but no Larry. I even got a backstage tour of Popmart bc my friend drove the truck with the olive in it.
I've been to several opening and closing nights, front row, in the heart, in the ellipse and I've filled 25 gig of hard drive with 5,061 songs.
Does this count as therapy?

Iskra said:
I liked them in 1988 (I was in 8th grade) and I had a copy of Joshua Tree but didn't fully apreciate music.
In 1992 i went to see ZOO TV in Philadelphia at Vet Stadium.
it was my first day of college.
I was 13th row front and center.
It sounds cliche but it BLEW my mind wide open.
I went out and bought Achtung the next day.
In the following month I bought every album
The following weeks I learned what a single was, what a bootleg was and what an obsessive music snob was.
I bought every book, every magazine, every poster.
Since then I've seen them almost 30x, met Bono, Edge and Adam 2x each but no Larry. I even got a backstage tour of Popmart bc my friend drove the truck with the olive in it.
I've been to several opening and closing nights, front row, in the heart, in the ellipse and I've filled 25 gig of hard drive with 5,061 songs.
Does this count as therapy?

Wow. My hat is off to you, that is an awesome U2 resume. And I'm insanely jealous. :wink:

September 12, 2001 - I listened to Walk On from one of those Now! CD's while in the bath for hours on end and probably sobbed like a baby the entire time.

The rest, as they say, is history:D

Got into them in 2000.... when i was 15... I used to listen to the Best of 80-90 everyday non stop.... after that i bought JT and AB...
then towards the end of that year ATYCLB was released... and that was the clincher...

Liked: Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me, 1995.

Loved: Beautiful Day in 2000.

However, I do remember seeing the Unforgettable Fire video years ago, I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, back when MTV only played videos.

Though I only remembered one part I would occasionally flashback to, that scene where Adam and Larry are walking down the stairs, in a warehouse tinted with blue light.

Took 11 years to figure out where this image came from.

Liked: The Sweetest Thing, back in '98... we got the Best of that was released then and that was the only one I listened to. I was 10. :reject:

Loved: Sunday Bloody Sunday, probably around early 2001?

Fanatical-obsessive: Upon receiving Rattle and Hum for Christmas. And watching WOWY, SBS, Pride... :drool:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I was burning The Best of 80-90 and 90-00 for my friend, and I listened to the songs and fell in love.

that was back in 2002, I became a hardcore fan after Achtung Baby and that was in 2003.

First concert Nov 16th, 2005. :D

I was there, Too!!!!

first heard them in 1984 (pride, most likely)

got UF cassette (and i still have it) for christmas, 1984.

i was in my early teens.

fan ever since.

My parents belonged to a music club and had free CDs coming, so they let me pick one out. I was 13 and didn't listen to much music, so I was pretty clueless. I flipped through the catalog and recognized the three songs listed that were included on U2's The Joshua Tree. I asked my parents if they thought that would be a good choice. They said it definitely would, as they already owned it on vinyl. I figured I might as well get that disc because if I didn't like it, I could give it to them.

The CD arrived on April 1, 1995. I sat in my room and listened to it three times straight. I was mesmerized. I'd never felt that way about music before. I pored over the lyrics and made it my mission was to get all of their other albums.

I liked them while watching them on the early days of MTV. Then my Sister absolutely begged me to go see them on the War Tour and as "they say" The rest is history.

Gloria......then saw the video on the spanking new MTV and fell in love with Bono. (gosh I'm old :wink: )

Later....one of my brothers became addicted to the JT album and some form of U2 has been in the family room stereo ever since.

The first time i saw a U2 clip on the TV was back in the POP days, Last Night on Earth.

I loved it (back then we got sattelite so we finally had 1 music channel!! :wink: ).

That's where my love for U2 started. But it went bigtime in 2000 with Beautiful day and the release of ATYCLB.

And from there on i started to collect all the records and i got more and more involved. :wink:

Liked them after seeing the Two Hearts Beat as One video when I was a kid. Saw the Red Rocks Sunday Bloody Sunday video about six months after that and was mesmerized.

Loved them on June 11, 1986 when I was in my early teens. They headlined the Amnesty International show here in Atlanta and - as an added plus - The Police played right before them, the first time they had played together in over two years.

U2 were absolutely electric that night. No screens, no jumbo-trons, in fact, not even a backdrop. Just the band. To this day, I've never seen a live performance like that. They absolutely killed. And I'm still hooked.

Back
Top Bottom