whats the song "mercy" about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This should probably be in It's a Musical Journey, but who am I to decide, so to answer your question: I've heard it's about ass wiping :shrug:

but seriously, I think it's about a relationship full of second chances. It's written in the perspective of the offender, who is reflecting on the undeserved mercy shown to him. Also, it makes sense that religion would be brought up in this context as we are shown mercy as sinners:

I was drinking some wine
And it turned to blood
What's the use of religion
If you're any good?
I know I'm weedkiller honey
And you're sugar
If you're the prosecution
I'd get away with murder
Love hears when I lie
Love puts the blue back in my eye
Love will come again
I'll be gone again
Again

I think Achtung Bebe has it down perfectly. But these are classic Bono lyrics, meaning that they are open to interpretation.

Most fans feel "Mercy" is a good step forward for U2, even though, to my ears, this is one of the most U2-sounding songs ever. It's like a mesh of UF and AB. However, even I acquiesce that there is a "forward-thinking" aspect to it. It does rely on the U2 sound, but is more aggressive about it. And the very open lyrics and passionate vocals make this song come alive. I feel HTDAAB would have been an even better album with this song included (why just 11 songs, why not 12 or 13?). Hopefully, though, U2 will do a bit of adjusting on it (does it need to be nearly 6 minutes?) but will leave the song almost as is and release it on the next album (or at least as a b-side). Many fans here have the song already - but I don't think anyone would complain about hearing the "official" version. ;)

Getting back to the topic, while Bebe has made a great interpretation - and one of which I agree - I think the song can be interpreted differently (perhaps not about ass-wiping though ;) ).

Back
Top Bottom