What would/should U2's "festival setlist" be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CTU2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So as I watched this & that band on Live Earth I got to thinking...if U2 had done LE, or if they ever play another "event-type" thing like Live8 or whatever, say they get a 5-song set, what should they play? Remember they'd be playing to a crowd of largely non-diehard U2 fans, so while some of us might want Acrobat/Drowning Man/RHMT/Heartland/Promenade I'm not sure that would quite work. I'm betting they'd play:

WTSHNN
PITNOL
Beautiful Day
One
Vertigo

and I think that's probably about right (though I'd probably want them to skip One & Vertigo I just don't see it).

If U2 would play another Live 8, Live Earth kind of gig in the near future (which is highly doubtful), I wish they could play something like this:

1. Love and Peace Or Else for a rocking start
2. SBS with some cool snippets in the middle of the song (Rock The Casbah, Get Up Stand Up, Won't You Be Loved etc.)
3. Miss Sarajevo (to show Bono's great vocal range)
4. WTSHNN (highlight of the entire show)
5. Pride (a perfect sing-along song to finish the set)

3 greatest hits known by everyone + 2 rarities, from which 1 song is from the newest album and was a show staple on the last tour + all songs have a political/social meaning = a perfect set for everyone

Would:

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Pride
One
Where the Streets Have No Name

Should:

Elevation
The Fly
Until the End of the World
New Year's Day
Bad

Would: (it's all to predictable, with the exception of the order)

Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Pride
One

Should:

Until the End of the World
The Fly
Please
One Tree Hill

Well how about if U2 were to play at Glastonbury, which it has been rumored in the last few years that they will play there and seems more likely that they'll play there before another Live 8 or Live Earth comes around again.
As glastonbury is a festival and would be a one off gig for them they could really do a fantastic greatest hits set.

If they did do glastonbury my choice of setlist for them would be:-

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mofo
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Until The End Of The World
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name/40/Bad
One
With Or Without You
Bullet The Blue Sky
Dirty Day
Please
Discotheque
Mysterious Ways

The first five songs there wouldn't be very familiar with the non U2 fans and would show them what U2 are really capable of and what a brilliant opening those songs would be. Than mid way through play all there classic hits and then finish with some more fantastic Rock/dance/funk songs!!

seeing they already did beautiful day, one, and vertigo at live8, (come on give them a little credit) I'd probably say WTSHNN, Window in the skies, and probably One or Pride

StoneRoses said:
Well how about if U2 were to play at Glastonbury, which it has been rumored in the last few years that they will play there and seems more likely that they'll play there before another Live 8 or Live Earth comes around again.
As glastonbury is a festival and would be a one off gig for them they could really do a fantastic greatest hits set.

If they did do glastonbury my choice of setlist for them would be:-

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mofo
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Until The End Of The World
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name/40/Bad
One
With Or Without You
Bullet The Blue Sky
Dirty Day
Please
Discotheque
Mysterious Ways

The first five songs there wouldn't be very familiar with the non U2 fans and would show them what U2 are really capable of and what a brilliant opening those songs would be. Than mid way through play all there classic hits and then finish with some more fantastic Rock/dance/funk songs!!

I've never heard of a festival giving bands sets this long. The idea was 5 songs.

phillyfan26 said:

I've never heard of a festival giving bands sets this long. The idea was 5 songs.

Radiohead played a show that long at Bonnaroo last year. I guess it depends on if you're the main nighttime act, which U2 would probably be.

5 songs? that's an awards show, not a festival. headliners at Glastonbury, T in the Park, Oxygen, and all of those cool festivals in Europe get at least an hour for their sets.

Would:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Vertigo
Pride
One
Beautiful Day

(I'm surprised some people have said Streets, as U2 have done that song a grand total of three times out of full tour concerts in 20 years, and not once at a festival.)

Should:

The Fly
The Electric Co.
Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
One Tree Hill

(Yes, I know TEC --> Bad is a harsh transition, but it's a 5 song festival set. Anyway, U2 have made TEC --> I Fall Down/ASOH/The Ocean work in the past.)

discothequeLP said:
5 songs? that's an awards show, not a festival. headliners at Glastonbury, T in the Park, Oxygen, and all of those cool festivals in Europe get at least an hour for their sets.

Yes that's right all the headlining acts get at least an hour, so id say that's about 15 songs.

So what would everyone's setlist be for U2 if they were to play a one off Festival like Glastonbury, T in The Park etc.
Remember they wouldn't be promoting an album so it can be all greatest hits, what songs would you like to hear from there amazing back catalogue that would work well at a festival???

Aygo said:
Why do you only post 5 songs?
Festival setlists use to have 12 to 16 songs...
5 songs are for TV appearences, awards shows or stuff Live 8 - type.

Indeed most large music festivals give about 1 to 1.5 hours to head liners.

Even back before Radiohead was huge they still got a 12 song/1 hour set at glastonbury, and that's back in 1994. In 2003 they played 19 songs at 1.5 hours and their '97 show was even longer.

Or take Muse at Reading, who played 15 at Glastonbury '03 and 12 at Reading '06. Who says festival shows have to be 5 songs?

Hell, back during the festival leg of TUF tour U2 played shows of more than 10 songs.
~A.j.~

^ Yes, I never went to a (real) festival in which each band played less than 9 songs. As I said, it's not normal for a band to play 5 songs in a festival...

So... my setlist for a U2 appearance in a festival in 2007 is...

Vertigo / Fire
11 o'clock tick tock
I will follow
The fly
Elevation
Gone
Until the end of the world
Beautiful day / Blackbird
Kite
All I want is you
Pride (In the name of love)
One
Where the streets have no name

Sunday Bloody Sunday / Please
Walk on / Hallelujah

1. Until The End Of The World
2. The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
3. Bullet The Blue Sky / Battle Hymn Of The Republic (snippet)
4. Running To Stand Still
5. Bad / Norwegian Wood (snippet) / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / 40 (snippet)
6. Resolution And Independence (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. A Sort Of Homecoming
9. Spanish Eyes
10. New Year's Day
11. 11 O'clock Tick Tock / Drowning Man (snippet)
12. Out Of Control
13. God Part II

14. The Fly / This Is No Rehearsal (snippet)
15. Gone

It'd never happen, but if it did, it would own.

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. The Electric Co. / Bullet with Butterfly Wings (snippet)
3. Until the End of the World / Two Tribes (snippet)
4. New Year's Day
5. Bad / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / The First Time (snippet)
6. Bullet the Blue Sky
7. Please / Sunday Bloody Sunday (snippet)
8. Beautiful Day / Ultraviolet (Light my Way) (snippet)
9. Mysterious Ways
10. With or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)

11. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock / Drowning Man (snippet)
12. The Fly / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (snippet) / Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car (snippet)
13. Love is Blindness

Aygo said:
Why do you only post 5 songs?
Festival setlists use to have 12 to 16 songs...
5 songs are for TV appearences, awards shows or stuff Live 8 - type.

Well, in the original post it says Live 8 type stuff.

Gloria
I Threw A Brick
A Day Without Me
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
New Year's Day
Surrender
Two Hearts Beat As One
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Electric Co.
I Will Follow

:wink:

Blue Room said:
Gloria
I Threw A Brick
A Day Without Me
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
New Year's Day
Surrender
Two Hearts Beat As One
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Electric Co.
I Will Follow

:wink:

No 11 O'Clock Tick Tock?

Shame! :wink:

Aygo said:
So... my setlist for a U2 appearance in a festival in 2007 is...

Vertigo / Fire
11 o'clock tick tock
I will follow
The fly
Elevation
Gone
Until the end of the world
Beautiful day / Blackbird
Kite
All I want is you
Pride (In the name of love)
One
Where the streets have no name

Sunday Bloody Sunday / Please
Walk on / Hallelujah

This one was for SuperBock SuperRock festival. The next one is for Vilar de Mouros, where U2 played in 1982:

1 Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
2 Vertigo / Stories for boys
3 Elevation
4 Out of control
5 New Year's Day
6 Beautiful day / Blackbird
7 Mysterious ways
8 Staring at the sun
9 Love and peace or else
10 Pride (In the name of love)
11 One / Unchained melody
12 Where the streets have no name
13 With or without you

14 Discotheque / The robots
15 Bad / 40

phillyfan26 said:

No 11 O'Clock Tick Tock?

Shame! :wink:

No, they didnt play 11 O'Clock at the US Festival. Thats the setlist I copied. Probably my favorite WAR bootleg next to Red Rocks complete.

Let's say, it is a 6 song set:

1. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
2. I Will Follow
3. Bad incl. Ruby Tuesday etc.
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. One incl. Slow Dancing
6. Vertigo

If we're talking about large music festivals where U2 is meant to be a head liner, I'd like them to play something like this:

1. Vertigo / Highway To Hell (snippet) / Rockaway Beach (snippet) / Dirty Water (snippet) / Take Me To The River (snippet)
2. I Will Follow
3. The Electric Co. / Break On Through To The Other Side (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
4. UTEOTW / Two Tribes (snippet)
5. New Year's Day
6. In The Name of The Father (snippet) / Pride (In The Name of Love) / The Promised Land (snippet)
7. Bad / Candle In The Wind (snippet) / Fool To Cry (snippet) / The First Time (snippet)
8. SBS / Rock The Casbah (snippet) / Won't You Be Loved (snippet) / Get Up Stand Up (snippet)
9. Dirty Day

10. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me / Children of The Revolution (snippet)
11. The Jean Genie (snippet) / The Fly / I Can't Get No Satisfaction (snippet)
12. Get To The Groove (snippet) / Mysterious Ways / Sexual Healing (snippet) / My Sweet Lord (snippet)
13. With Or Without You / Never Tear Us Apart (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
14. All I Want Is You / 40 (snippet)

The snippets :love:

Back
Top Bottom