What Was the First U2 Album You Ever Brought?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Achtung Baby. Fell in love with "One" when I was 11 and went straight out to buy the album. Joshua Tree was next I think. And so on.

------------------
"And when it's raining,
raining hard, that's when the rain will break my heart."

Originally posted by U2DMfan:
"I think this thread is a testament of 22 years of great music by a single band, the array of answers given are fantastic and make me even more proud to be a fan of this band."

Well said U2DMfan, I completely agree. Like Lazyboy I brought POP when I was 15.
I was just reading everyone's posts and I've realized that every single U2 album was someone's 1st Album they ever brought. It just goes to show that through the years U2 has gained fans through their diverse albums, quite an accomplishment which makes me proud.

[This message has been edited by Lise (edited 04-11-2002).]

Ah the first U2 cd I purchased was in 92, but it was one of 8 or 9 cd's I "HAD" to chose so I could join a cd club. The first U2 cd I purchased alone at a store was Under A Blood Red Sky (Live), because I was attracted to the cd long box art. That was in late 92 or early 93 I think. When retail stores still had cd's in long box's. Remember those?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Well my first cd was Joshua Tree, but I didn't buy it, I stole it from my sister. The first one I actually bought was Achtung Baby.

Rattle & Hum

(My brother had the Joshua Tree on tape, but the only song I liked at that time was WOWY. So young and naive).

00000029.jpg

The first one I bought was Pop after disliking discotheque for the longest time for no good reason. I liked the album enough to pick up Achtung baby! and thus the obsesion began.

Although technically I had The Joshua Tree first, it wasn't mine.

Weird thing is, I can't remember going into a record store to BUY War (on vinyl), I only remember playing it constantly in the summer of '83, alongside a lotta Clash...

and for the record, the LAST vinyl album I bought was R&H. I still don't have it on CD, only on the tape I made -- where I can hear the needle lift off at the end of All I Want is You.
biggrin.gif
(Aging is a bizarre thing... And I wouldn't trade it for nuthin.) Love everybody's stories.

Deb D

------------------
I wanna walk with you along an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

I would say JT, because that was the first one I loved. But I was 10 and didn't actually go into the store and buy it with my own money. I guess the first one I bought myself was ATYCLB.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

under a blood red sky, on cassette, 1984. First album i saved up and bought on my own. rode my bmx down to the mall to get it.

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

I bought AB and JT about the same time right after AB came out. (Had been meaning to buy JT for the longest time before that but had never had the $ so I kept borrowing my boyfriend's copy instead
biggrin.gif
)

Joshua Tree on vinyl when it first came out. I was 24.

Very rapidly followed by War on vinyl and October on vinyl.

Saw them live for the first time on JT tour.

Within like a week of the show, UBRS and Boy and UF on vinyl.

RH as soon as it came out on vinyl.

AB was my first on CD, but I have to admit, I didn't "get it" at the time. Boy, do I ever get it now.

For me it was Achtung Baby in '91 when I was 15. I had bought a copy for my girlfriend(future wife in 3 months). I remember listening to the whole album with her and saying "Damn, that's a f***** great album". Bought it the next day. It was the first album I had ever heard where I loved every song.

"In an Apartment in time square, you can assemble them anywhere"

It's a tie between three. I bought them at the same time through the BMG music club in 1995. They were October (because I heard Gloria was one of their best songs), War, and The Joshua Tree.

B000001F3C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

VINIL 1983....

in those days it was hard to get good music here, it took me some time, since it wasn't released in Mexico at that time, had to get an import.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

great topic! i remember seeing the premiere of WOWY on mtv and begging my mom to take me to the record store! she bought the tape for me (i was 14)!
smile.gif

------------------
BuBbLe PoPpInG, sUgAr DrOpPiNg, RoCk AnD rOlL ...
*+*MaRiA*+*

I fell in love with the song and video, Gloria, 1982 I believe, which Mtv was playing every 30 minutes! So I went out and bought the album, October!! And I noticed the album Boy and my friend pointed out that they were the band that did the song "I will follow"..I had to have it! I have been hooked on U2 and their music since..! hey, Critter, I'm a lifer, 40+ too! Yeah! U2 ROCK!

Back
Top Bottom